What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 432 Member
    Arralethe wrote: »
    Cucumber tastes appalling.

Cucumber doesn't taste like anything to me, it's like chewing on a plastic straw. I do like them on the side for spicy dishes.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    I don’t like eggs where the white is snotty and barely cooked. Just the thought makes me heave!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Janatki wrote: »
    I don’t like eggs where the white is snotty and barely cooked. Just the thought makes me heave!

don't think that is unpopular! So gross lol
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member

Give me snotty whites any day, as long as the yolk hasn't hardened. Such a shame ...
  • pancakerunner
    Antiopelle wrote: »

Give me snotty whites any day, as long as the yolk hasn't hardened. Such a shame ...

running yolks :)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Based on the last posts in the 'Yum and Yuck' this is unpopular....I actually really like white chocolate (not the regular cheap kind find in most stores though...)
  • pancakerunner
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Based on the last posts in the 'Yum and Yuck' this is unpopular....I actually really like white chocolate (not the regular cheap kind find in most stores though...)

Yes! A good quality white chocolate is really good. So many people think the cheap stuff is what all white chocolate's are like.
  • LtHammerhead
    LtHammerhead Posts: 33 Member
    Eggplant is vile. Zucchini too.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    edited April 2021
    I hate pizza. I'm not American and I know it's almost a religion in US. I just can't stand the taste. I'd rather waste my calories on ice cream or chocolate cake. I eat pizza like twice a year ( I ate today. I wish I hadn't 😭😭)because I get a
    mad craving for some reason but It tastes like cardboard to me🤢🤷
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Jello is gross.
  • pancakerunner
    Jello is gross.

ok... nope! I will take yours :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Jello is gross.

Not sure that’s really unpopular.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Jello is gross.

I dunno...every time someone asks for suggestions for low-cal snacks, people always jump in with the sugar-free Jello. Blahhhhh.....
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    Jello is gross.

I dunno...every time someone asks for suggestions for low-cal snacks, people always jump in with the sugar-free Jello. Blahhhhh.....

I love sugar free jello with some protein powder mixed in...lol!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I hate pizza. I'm not American and I know it's almost a religion in US. I just can't stand the taste. I'd rather waste my calories on ice cream or chocolate cake. I eat pizza like twice a year ( I ate today. I wish I hadn't 😭😭)because I get a
    mad craving for some reason but It tastes like cardboard to me🤢🤷

To be fair, a lot of the pizza out there is really, really bad pizza. I definitely like really good pizza, but yes, a lot of it does taste like cardboard, and that's very sad.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Jello is gross.

I would have said the same, but maybe we are wrong. I don't get the jello appeal either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    Jello is gross.

Such a joyful, jolly, jiggly, colorful food . . . made by boiling boiling animal skin, tendons, ligaments, and/or bones. Yum!

I've got nothing against people eating meat, or eating gelatin, if they like it. I used to eat gelatin, and probably still would if not vegetarian (even though I don't think Jello per se is tasty, gelatin is an ingredient in some tasty things). But this food, Jello, in particular, causes me just a tiny bit of cognitive dissonance. 😆🤣

(It's the "unpopular opinions" thread, right? 😉)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited April 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Jello is gross.

Such a joyful, jolly, jiggly, colorful food . . . made by boiling boiling animal skin, tendons, ligaments, and/or bones. Yum!

I've got nothing against people eating meat, or eating gelatin, if they like it. I used to eat gelatin, and probably still would if not vegetarian (even though I don't think Jello per se is tasty, gelatin is an ingredient in some tasty things). But this food, Jello, in particular, causes me just a tiny bit of cognitive dissonance. 😆🤣

(It's the "unpopular opinions" thread, right? 😉)

You know, I have a lot of respect for gelatin. I eat meat, but I firmly think (this might be a little too moralistic for this thread) that if one is going to consume meat, then one should be attentive to using as much of an animal as possible, and gelatin is a great way to do that. I know I've done a good job with my soup stocks if they're jelly like in the refrigerator.

I don't particularly care for Jello, though. Too many Jello salads in my youth. I keep a couple of boxes in the pantry for sick people who need to ease back into solid foods. I remember as a kid there was a fad with truly giant lollipops, and some of us used to, for reasons I can't now fathom, dip them in Jello powder as we ate them (which took days if not weeks).

I agree with you about using the whole thing, as a general food principle, animal or vegetable.

Gelatin's also good in fruit mousses and mousse-like cold pies, and it's in what used to be my favorite homemade popsicle recipe. Agar, which is veg-friendly, I could never really get the hang of, without getting a weird texture. 🤷‍♀️

One other thing I find weird is that routine marshmallows have gelatin (aren't veg-friendly), but Marshmallow Fluff is vegetarian (not vegan, because eggs).