Food Diary Critique

So I have done MFP before, but now have introduced new dietary restrictions.

I am vegetarian and also have to watch my carbs (diabetic).

I am looking for people in those areas who would be willing to go through my diary and give me some suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Your feed is private
  • canadiankerr
    canadiankerr Posts: 9 Member
    Oops. I'll change it :)
  • Penny_Harrison
    Penny_Harrison Posts: 45 Member
    Hi! I'm very new to plant based eating after a serious boutique of food poisoning and am also diabetic! I'm certainly no expert since I'm new to no meat but it looks good to me. My own food diary is reasonably low calorie, MFP often says I'm undereating, but I tried on 1200 calories and lost nothing, I don't know if its because of diabetes or age (55) or metabolism but I don't lose weight like other people!

• Penny_Harrison
    Penny_Harrison Posts: 45 Member
    Lol serious BOUT, not boutique.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    You some nice veggies in there, which should be a good contribution from a micronutrient and fiber standpoint. Personally, I like eating quite a volume of those, but that's more of an individual taste/satiation thing. You haven't reduced fat to too-low levels, as some people do when trying to lose weight, and that's good; plus you do have some MUFA/PUFA sources in there like seeds. Personally, I would want more protein while in a calorie deficit. (I'm also vegetarian.) At least, I would encourage you to treat the MFP goal as a minimum, and more than that could be beneficial IMO.

Are you intentionally avoiding more soy (tofu, tempeh, etc.) and seitan as protein sources? Other things I've found helpful are chickpea and red lentil pastas, flavoring additions that also add a of bit protein (such as nutritional yeast (I see you had some of that), miso, defatted peanut powder for use in sauces and such), cottage cheese, plain nonfat Greek yogurt used as one might use sour cream (toppings, salad dressing, etc.) or mixed with frozen fruit and peanut powder as a dessert, . . . .

How fast are you losing, or trying to lose, on 1200, and at what current height/weight. I see that Penny found she could not eat as much as 1200 and lose weight; I ate 1200 plus all exercise calories and lost too fast, to the detriment of my health (at age 59, weight mid-150s at the time). (I'm not diabetic, but am hypothyroid.) Loss rate at any given calorie goal has some individuality to it.

Overall, I think you're doing very well - better than a lot of folks whose diaries I've looked at.