What can I have instead of bread?

13»

Replies

• LtHammerhead
    LtHammerhead Posts: 33 Member
    Brown rice..rice and eggs is awesome. You can make a bunch of rice at once and freeze single servings that reheat in a few seconds.

I have also learned to enjoy oatmeal.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    Those are both great, but there's no particular reason to choose them over bread if one loves bread. I really love steel cut oats (more than bread) and especially with a couple of eggs and some veg, but I don't think they are superior calorie wise or nutritionally than some wholegrain bread.
  • Chapchap83
    Chapchap83 Posts: 8 Member
    I eat a Keto bread that is only 30 Cals a slice and only 1 net carb!! And it taste great! So good I feel like i am cheating but I’m not!! It’s hard to find and it’s like 5 dollars a loaf but money well spent!!
  • Chapchap83
    Not sure that worked so I will try and post it this way
  • Chapchap83
    Also I eat a low carb wraps made by mama lupes that is 10 carbs total and 3 net carbs that tastes amazing!! I use them to make pizza or breakfast wraps or grilled wraps they work great and don’t taste diet flavored!!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Depending on your dietary preferances, you could try low calorie breads, such as Sara Lee Delightful Bread (45 calories), Aldi’s Fit and Active Bread (35 calories), or Nickels Light Bread (35 calories). You could also consider Whole Grain Wasa Crackers (35 calories).
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    edited April 2021
    Hi, I eat the same breakfast every morning, a boiled egg and a slice of wholemeal bread with Bertolli margarine. Just learning how calorific bread is but don't know what to have instead, I can't imagine eating an egg without it!

I don't eat cereal because I don't have milk. Any suggestions, please?

We started having carrot juice with our cereal which have made a big difference - I am lactose so unless I have lactose free milk, its carrot juice
    Give it a try, you would be surprised that it really does not make a difference to the cereal
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    hipari wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    lx1x wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »
    I use this bread... Less calories than typical bread..

b0fwqudfjflx.png

Wait! Why is this bread so high in calories? Is all US bread? The wholegrain bread I eat comes in at roughly 240 calories per 100 grams. Like most bread, baguette, flat bread, etc. how can there be so many calories in bread?

You like thick slice of bread?

Typical US bread per slice are 30g more or less..

You eating 3 to 4 slices . 🤷‍♂️

z4sooq4xkdmq.png

I believe that user is using 100 grams as a point to compare, not claiming their average serving of bread is 100 grams.

Read the print.. they are comparing per 28g.. a slice

No, I don't believe they are. They're stating the calorie count of their usual bread per 100 grams. That is not the same thing as saying they consider 100 grams to be a serving. The 28 gram statement, I believe, came from someone else completely.

If someone says their bread is x calories per 100 gram, we don't have enough information to conclude about how thick they like their bread sliced. Their typical serving size could be way less than that. Expressing calorie counts per 100 grams is just a quick and easy way to compare nutritional information even if one is regularly eating less or more than that amount.

I agree -- in some other countries it is common to have calories per 100 g on the label.

This. I live in Finland and I’m not sure if it’s legally mandatory, but I’ve never seen a nutritional label without info per 100g.

OP, I agree with others to just keep the bread and figure out something else if you really need to cut the calories. If you insist on cutting the bread (which, really, is not the enemy despite some saying carbs and bread are), I’d suggest weaning yourself off slowly. Options could include buying bread that isn’t pre-sliced and using thinner slices, or cutting your bread slice in half and only eating a half a slice per morning.

I hate slice bread because I end up eating at least 2-3 slices - love bread
    What I do is buy bread rolls and find that having one roll is enough for me - anything to make my life easier
  • natasor1
    natasor1 Posts: 271 Member
    Another low carb and low calories breads are Aldi Zerow carbs, ! net carb breads at Meijer store trader JOe and many others nationwide. Many tortila breads have 1 to 2 total carbs and 30 to 60 cal per serving