Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I’m getting my 2nd Moderna shot this morning. Will continue to mask up and follow basic protocols. Just an observation, I don’t know anyone that’s had a common cold this year. Perhaps an extra benefit of masks, social distancing, and hand washing.

Personally I'd be happy to trade a cold or 2 during the season to get rid of the masks and social distancing when Covid "goes away".

That seems rational, but also situational.

Mid-last-year, a scan said that I appear to have early COPD. (No, not a smoker. Lived with smokers most of my life.)

A light dawned, for me. Frequent bronchitis is a common thing, from my reading, for those with COPD. Possibly, this is why every Winter I tend to get at least one respiratory bug that turns into weeks of persistent cough. (That's why I even had the scan, actually - been coughing for weeks, after a bug I'm pretty sure I got from the woman on the next bike at spin class). I haven't had any respiratory conditions this year.

That definitely colors my plans for the future. While I do look forward to a less constrained life soon, compared to where I am now, I foresee some masking and certain types of social distancing in certain scenarios in my future, longer-term. I don't plan to stay shut in my house solo, however.

(For clarity, I'm not suggesting *others* need to continue masking/distancing for my sake. I'm merely saying that I've learned things from the pandemic constraints that will change my personal behavior a bit in future - certainly for my own sake, and in flu season perhaps the things I'd do to protect others.)

And that makes perfectly good sense in your situation.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I had the second Moderna shot yesterday. Slight tenderness after the first shot. From the second one, my arm is sore and aches. A slight headache, low energy and no appetite (could be a good thing).

How is your daughter? Did she recover OK?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Got my 2nd Moderna shot yesterday FINALLY. Arm was sore and I felt tired, but that could've also been due to the fact I gave up caffeine this week for health reasons. Took my prescription Naproxen for my sore back that was hurting before the vaccine, and woke up this morning feeling pretty good.

Headed out to the gym, then started feeling tired and "off." Decided to turn around (very unlike me--I like my gym time) but decided to listen to my body for once and wasn't even anxious about missing the gym (also unlike me). Went to bed and slept for an hour and a half; developed body aches, chills, low appetite, headache. Glad I listened to my body!

My arm is swollen more than the last shot, too. At first I looked at it and though "hey, my deltoids are popping" then realized it was just swollen :D .

I’m sure it’ll be fine, but just FYI for others who might be reading, it’s not recommended to take Naproxen or other NSAIDs such as Advil after the vaccine, because it reduces immune response.

I had my Pfizer 2nd shot three days ago - felt fine the day after until nightfall, developed a fever and chills, headache. Lasted about three hours. Still felt tired on day two. Feel fine today.