What are your positive coping mechanisms?

I'm only three days into trying to change unhealthy habits, and I'm currently having a frustrating day. My typical coping mechanism for negative feelings is shutting down and over-eating,

I'm not doing that at the moment - but while I'm trying to manage, I'm curious what ways other people use to cope with bad feelings?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited April 2021
    I'm religious, so I often pray for peace, or a solution, or just to vent. Sometimes I journal, too, to help me organize my thoughts better or to help me solve whatever is frustrating me. Having a trusted friend to talk things over with is also good. I'll also take a break and do one of my hobbies (if you don't have one, highly recommend this!) or relax with a book or favorite show as a distraction. If I feel worn out, I'll take a nap or rest. If I feel like I am really fired up and mad, I'll go for a walk.

I'm sorry you're having a hard day.
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,128 Member
    Reading fiction.
    Cleaning--the trick is just to get started.
    Walking in natural surroundings, if possible.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited April 2021
    Surf the Urges or Urge Surfing
    Flip the Switch

I use music. It's good medicine. I've learned how to moderate myself with all foods by practicing delayed gratification techniques over the past 5 years.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    I chant Nam myoho renge kyo. It is Nichiren Buddhism, a Life Philosphy of Happiness that comes from within! Any challenges I have, I chant, receive wisdom from within myself to take action. The ACTION is important...otherwise we would see no change. I believe in "this moment forward"...Can't do anything about the past, but take a deep breath and find a solution. I love to Smile, to Dance, too. You have changed the effect of your shutting down and overeating by joining MFP and receiving support!! That is ACTION @erahvaldiviezo ... that is ACTION...and CONGRATS!!!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    I go for a walk or start cleaning or pick up some needlepoint.

Or you could take that little lovie out, give him some Cheerios and a sheet of paper and entertain him for a while- and be entertained, 😇
  • erahvaldiviezo
    erahvaldiviezo Posts: 4 Member
    I go for a walk or start cleaning or pick up some needlepoint.

Or you could take that little lovie out, give him some Cheerios and a sheet of paper and entertain him for a while- and be entertained, 😇

My parrot is a really big source of comfort for me! I love hearing everyone’s thoughts, a lot of it is stuff that seems obvious but I don’t really think if it in the moment... like listening to music... walks also, the weather is getting nicer for it.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    Looking at the tiny profile pic he looked like a peach face. Is he a sun conure?

We have a very very elderly peach face. Poor guy is bald around the middle. His head looks like it’s on a popsicle stick and he sleeps most the time. He’s dancing on top of his box right now.
  • Relema
    Relema Posts: 2 Member
    I try to plan out what I'm going to do each day so much harder for me to back out of working out when I plan a certain activity . Same with eating. Also getting sleep and when I'm super stressed I read or pull out my adult coloring book and start coloring