Been a great week for me wooop.

Starting weight: 260 18th March

March 25: 256.6
    April 1: 254.8
    April 8: 251.4
    April 15:
  • roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Welcome @pavs2021 you're in the right place.

This past 3 weeks I've simply been under my calories goal and drinking lots of water 🥤 Also 30 minutes walking everyday.
  • MelRealm
    MelRealm Posts: 7 Member
    My goal is to lose 77 pounds
  • Mds1922
    Mds1922 Posts: 9 Member
    I need to lose about 80lbs. I could use some support/accountability. I am new to this whole logging meals thing. Thank you!
  • Mds1922
    Mds1922 Posts: 9 Member
    Question: has anyone experienced the scale going up once you start working out more? I'm seeing it go up and I'm starting to freak out a bit. I get on the scale every day. What do you guys suggest?
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    My first goal is to lose 60lbs which will still put me in the overweight category but when I reach that goal i may give myself a new target depending on how I feel
    Sw-220 (08.03.21)
    Cw-208.4
    Gw-160
    @Mds1922 your weight normally goes up when you start a new exercise because the muscles are repairing themselves so have excess blood and retain fluid, it happens to me every time I add in something new so I tend to avoid the scale for a few days after a new exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Mds1922 wrote: »
    Question: has anyone experienced the scale going up once you start working out more? I'm seeing it go up and I'm starting to freak out a bit. I get on the scale every day. What do you guys suggest?

Yes. It's just water retention for muscle repair. It's not fat, so no need to worry about it. If fat loss was happening pre-exercise in a reasonable way, it's still happening behind the scenes, just not visible on the scale. The best strategy is to patiently wait it out.

There are lots of things that can temporarily increase water retention: It's just part of how a healthy body functions. Pretty much any sudden scale increase without an obvious *major* increase in calorie intake, or reduction in activity, is water fluctuation, and IMO not worth stressing over. It takes around 3500 calories cumulatively above or below maintenance calories to gain or lose a pound of fat, so you'd notice if you'd eaten that much more or moved that much less in a short time period.

*Lots* of things can cause meaningless scale fluctuations. This is a good read, quite calming:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations

After you've been tracking consistently for a couple of months, weighing daily, you'll have pretty good insights into how your body handles these things, so how the scale will respond. It can be challenging at first!

P.S. I'm just reading threads, replying where relevant, but I don't really belong in this one. I lost the 50+ pounds as of about 5 years ago, at age 59-60. I'm just hanging around maintaining a healthy weight now. Apologies for the brief thread interruption!
  • Julie31171
    Julie31171 Posts: 24 Member
    Hi! How do I join??
  • rmh2021
    rmh2021 Posts: 13 Member
    I'm in. My goal is 60 lbs lost.
  • Walking and looking forward to not hurting so much.
  • roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Welcome to all ❤️
  • rmh2021
    I managed to work out 3 days in a row. 3x 30 minute Hiit rides on peloton and 30 minute uphill walk after. I'm starting back to exercise after an accident left me with a torn acl, broken wrist and hand and I feel all my injuries still but it's tolerable. I have 60 lbs to lose. It seems really far off right now. And I wake up feeling so lazy and unmotivated until I force myself to sit on the bike. After I finish a class I feel like I want to do more but I really don't want to re-injure myself. I start with a trainer on May 15th - 2 wks after vaccines are all done. I can't wait. I really want to feel stronger and have energy and fit in my clothes. No more sugar for me!!!!
  • delvin2
    delvin2 Posts: 120 Member
    I'm in as well. Fighting my way back after years of inactivity. I did it before, so I'm going for it again.
  • emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Hi all! I'm starting again and looking for motivation and support, hoping to add some friends!
  • LAYLAH17
    LAYLAH17 Posts: 170 Member
    I'm in as well. Looking to lose weight with you guys. =). Also, where is the group this is a discussion post.
  • Nelbel08
    Nelbel08 Posts: 1 Member
    I would like to join
  • rmh2021
    Small miracle but I forced myself to workout today again- this is a 4 day streak! (feel free to laugh, it's been a LONG LONG time since I worked out with any regularity). So I did a 30 minute hiit ride on my peloton and then walked for 30 minutes. I passed neighbors walking and could not even chat- I was too breathless. I also ate a salad yesterday like an actual adult so baby steps right?! I have 60 lbs to lose and this is my week 1. So I'm going to try to stay focused and not eat all the foods I want to eat. :#
  • kelMee2
    kelMee2 Posts: 203 Member
    @rmh2021 well done for working out, it will get easier as time goes on. I always found exercise a chore but now I actually can't wait to get out for a walk or get on the exercise bike and I've been surprised at how quickly it's become easier and how I can push myself to go that bit faster. Baby steps is the best way, Rome wasn't built in a day.
  • rmh2021
    Hey correct me if I am wrong but basically the way you "join" is just by sharing here where you are at- how it's going- and using this group to check your own accountability and support each other. It's helpful to bookmark the group so you can find it. Anyway, I wish you all the best with your weight loss. We can do this. It really helps logging meals and when I log my exercise too it makes me feel like I am actually working toward something. I'm going to try to stay the course even if it takes a year or more I guess. That's going to take some serious willpower. I hope I find some!!!
  • rmh2021
    edited April 2021
    And of course, I am probably wrong.