Headless (not a watch) hrm for mfp?

I'd like to pick up something to help me estimate calories. Not a watch.

Used to have a fitbit 1, but those are long gone.

Whoop strap doesn't communicate with mpf.

Suggestions?

Replies

• westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 871 Member
    I don't know of something personally that would communicate with MFP automatically (unless there are more expensive Polars that do or something)...but I just use a Polar chest strap HRM (I think it was like $60 or so) and I just manually put in the calorie estimate when I log my cardio workout. You're already logging your food...so it's not that much more work.

I will warn you though that HRM are not super-duper accurate for burned calories. So...I actually choose a calorie burn number somewhere between what my running app says and my HRM says because quite often, especially for higher intensity activity - the HRM is ~100 or so cals more than other estimates.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    I loved my Fitbit One. That was their best device. :( I think one of the less expensive Fitbit's has an option of putting it in a clip. I think the Inspire but not the Inspire 2?
  • Kinalau
    Kinalau Posts: 26 Member
    I actually use whoop. I have whoop data go to strava and then have strava connected to mfp. I really love the whoop and its features in its own app as a side component to my health journey.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Heart rate monitors can be very helpful for athletic performance especially running. They don't have any special insight into calories. They're kind of uncomfortable. I've seen calorie estimates based on a chest strap heart monitor wrong by more than 40%.

They're good at counting heart beats though. 🙂
  • ShayAllenHill
    ShayAllenHill Posts: 64 Member
    Kinalau wrote: »
    I actually use whoop. I have whoop data go to strava and then have strava connected to mfp. I really love the whoop and its features in its own app as a side component to my health journey.

Ended up ordering a Whoop. Discrete, all-day, business-attire-friendly wearables are rarer than I would think. Will try your arrangement Monday.

Thank you, all.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    I have just (last week) retired my 5 yo FitBit One. I replaced it with an Inspire 2. There is a clip available for the Inspire 2 meaning you can use it in a similar way to the One, but the HR monitor is turned off in “clip mode” (mind the One didn’t have a HRM anyway...)
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,538 Member
    Sorry my answer above is in the wrong thread. I was answering regarding a more dressy fitness band