Coronavirus prep

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Lockdowns around the world via Aljazeera. https://apple.news/AGCoUW9EiQBy70o7ckqZgGA

Things look especially bad in Brazil. 😞 https://apple.news/A8umhW3R2RgSaKzYOe_OcAg
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,830 Member
    looking to have someone explain how the following works.

i was listening to another of the John Campbell YouTubes an he was taking about the blood clot issues with the AstraZeneca vaccine. In it, he was mentioning that when the problem arises there is a dual problem of throwing blood clot combined with low platelet count. What confuses me is that I think if low platelets when I person has an inability to clot? How can those two issues appear at the same time? TIA for any insights.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Real-world study in Israel shows the South African variant “breaking through” the Pfizer vaccine.

https://apple.news/A94zwwPExRYGN24NZCZImzg

Important points:
    * Research is not yet peer-reviewed
    * Study involved 400 people
    * The South African variant, B.1.351, was found to make up about 1% of all the COVID-19 cases across all the people studied, according to the study by Tel Aviv University and Israel’s largest healthcare provider, Clalit.
    * But among patients who had received two doses of the vaccine, the variant’s prevalence rate was eight times higher than those unvaccinated - 5.4% versus 0.7%.
    * The research was not intended to deduce overall vaccine effectiveness against any variant, since it only looked at people who had already tested positive for COVID-19, not at overall infection rates.
    * Almost 53% of Israel’s 9.3 million population has received both Pfizer doses.
    * Some previous studies have indicated that the Pfizer/BioNTech shot was less potent against the B.1.351 variant than against other variants of the coronavirus, but still offered a robust defence.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    No one wears masks in the hospitals anymore when we are not seeing patients. I still wear mine because I just feel wrong without wearing it and honestly it has become like a comfort thing for me. I also like how it protects against other illnesses. I haven't gotten a cold or the flu this year like I usually do! But all my coworkers who are doctors don't wear their masks at all. They are okay with doing this since the CDC says it is okay for people to meet with others who are vaccinated or even unvaccinated without masks now. Just noticed this trend the past few months of no mask wearing and wanted to share my observations.

I don't like that others tell me to take my mask off and judge me for still wearing one. Of course everyone wears masks when they are walking about the hospital and seeing patients, but once we go back to our team rooms, no one wears them.

where are you that no one is wearing masks?? I'm in Ontario, Canada and we are under the strictest conditions since this thing began with no end in sight!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,931 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »

i was listening to another of the John Campbell YouTubes an he was taking about the blood clot issues with the AstraZeneca vaccine. In it, he was mentioning that when the problem arises there is a dual problem of throwing blood clot combined with low platelet count. What confuses me is that I think if low platelets when I person has an inability to clot? How can those two issues appear at the same time? TIA for any insights.

Yes that would usually be so.

I'm not sure anyone knows how this syndrome works - the anomaly of dual low platelet count with clot formation.

• 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited April 2021

I think what happens is that in some people there is an unusual immune response that produces anti-bodies that react with platelets, causing them to "stick together", which leads to diffuse clots, which then reduces the circulating platelet count. So you have multiple clots as well as thrombocytopenia (low platelets). That is how I am understanding it anyway.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,830 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »

I think what happens is that in some people there is an unusual immune response that produces anti-bodies that react with platelets, causing them to "stick together", which leads to diffuse clots, which then reduces the circulating platelet count. So you have multiple clots as well as thrombocytopenia (low platelets). That is how I am understanding it anyway.

Thank you Gail. That explanation makes complete sense!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Our Kroger has taken down all their mask required signs at the doors. The state wide mandate ended Monday and people are taking advantage of it. I will still wear a mask until I have had both shots.

Shot 1 is tomorrow morning so we shall see how it goes

Must be nice - we are in a modified "lockdown" and today they are going to announce a month long stay at home order. :(

(When I say "must be nice' I mean it would be nice to live in a jurisdiction where things getting back to "normal" was actually in sight.)

It may be less a case of things are getting back to normal due to science / actual risk and more a case of politics.

@Athijade: where do you live?
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    Our Kroger has taken down all their mask required signs at the doors. The state wide mandate ended Monday and people are taking advantage of it. I will still wear a mask until I have had both shots.

Shot 1 is tomorrow morning so we shall see how it goes

Must be nice - we are in a modified "lockdown" and today they are going to announce a month long stay at home order. :(

(When I say "must be nice' I mean it would be nice to live in a jurisdiction where things getting back to "normal" was actually in sight.)

It may be less a case of things are getting back to normal due to science / actual risk and more a case of politics.

@Athijade: where do you live?

Indiana
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,847 Member
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Just popping in with my daily dose of cheery news ... About COVID sufferers suffering from brain disorders after recovery. 😞https://abc7.com/health/1-in-3-covid-19-survivors-suffers-brain-disease-study-finds/10494640/

I've read about that. It seems there is an inflammation in the spinal fluid that is causing it. I believe they found C Reactive protein in areas of the brain that it shouldn't exist. Though, the belief is, over time, it will settle down. I think they believe that antivirals will help over time.

There is a bright side to this. It's my personal opinion that a lot of illnesses have latent viruses behind them -- Fibromyalgia, Lupus, certain cancers, Lyme Disease, possibly Chronic Fatigue. I think in better understanding the source of these stealth viruses that don't go completely away and spending money on them will possibly help many more conditions than just Covid-19 long haulers. The long haulers are very similar to other conditions, it's just brought more attention to it, IMHO.

Edit -- it seems the scientific community is torn on if there might be a viral infection of the brain versus Autoimmune Encephilitis (inflammation of the brain caused by antibodies, but not a viral infection, where basically the body attacks the brain, like in other organ related autoimmune conditions).

My understanding is that Lyme disease is caused by the the bacteriums Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia mayonii but I would be delighted if something about this pandemic helped with Lyme disease treatment or prevention.

I was just at Urgent Care last week getting an imbedded tick removed. The doctor and nurse thought a tick bite was a big deal, which I thought was funny, as I have literally had dozens and dozens of tick bites over the years as I live in Massachusetts and spend a lot of time in the woods and fields, and tick mitigation is a normal part of my life this time of year.

I also knew my tick was not the blacklegged tick, which is the one far more likely to carry the disease, and that it had not been attached for very long. (The risk is lower if the tick has been attached for less than 36 hours.) (I don't believe I've ever been bitten by the blacklegged tick - these are much smaller than our usual ticks. I still take mitigation very seriously.)

But it was funny the way the doctor and nurse thought a tick bite was so unusual. The doctor needed to make sure I was wearing clothes out in the woods LMAO!

I've been stung by scorpions and bitten by a brown recluse spider - THAT was a big deal.

ps - I feel the need to clarify in advance, yes LYME disease is a big deal. But getting bitten by ticks that do not carry it is not.