Something that Made You Feel Good Today

Replies

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    ... are you talking the 5 year post weight loss first maintenance goal line?!?!?! :wink:

This is a good thought. I think I need to get my head around that. A real number. I can see one year of eating at a deficit doesn't result in new maintenance eating patterns. It is the opposite. It introduces an "intuitive" eating need to prevent starvation.

I think I can handle a five year plan, if I know it is a five year plan and plan well.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited April 2021
    I've often found the 230 Cal for a McDonald's vanilla soft cone (official Canadian Cal count is 230, by my sampling a range of 230 to 300 Cal based on served weight) to be sufficient to push back on thoughts of ice cream/snakes

Fudgecicles are also about 90 calories each, and we now have a few yogurt based fruity "sticks" in the 100 Cal each range.

100 Cal of frozen grapes. And, of course, berries and banana with or without unsweetened cashew milk used to be some of my "go to" options!
  • lauriekallis
    I've often found the 230 Cal for a McDonald's vanilla soft cone (official Canadian Cal count is 230, by my sampling a range of 230 to 300 Cal based on served weight) to be sufficient to push back on thoughts of ice cream/snakes

Fudgecicles are also about 90 calories each, and we now have a few yogurt based fruity "sticks" in the 100 Cal each range.

100 Cal of frozen grapes. And, of course, berries and banana with or without unsweetened cashew milk used to be some of my "go to" options!

And President's choice has a great one - Peanut Butter Fudge Smoothie Bars! To DIE for - and only 100 calories! Unfortunately they have been sold out at my local store for weeks and they only have the Fudge Smoothie bars available - but they have .... wait for it .... fish oil in their ingredient list!

"encapsulated fish oil (refined fish oil (anchovy, sardine), fish gelatin"

I'm a vegetarian and found this shocking and offensive because who would expect fish oil in an ice cream bar!!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,393 Member
    edited April 2021
    ! Unfortunately they have been sold out at my local store for weeks and they only have the Fudge Smoothie bars available - but they have .... wait for it .... fish oil in their ingredient list!

I'm a vegetarian and found this shocking and offensive because who would expect fish oil in an ice cream bar!!

I have also been using the peanut butter fudge smoothies from shoppers on 20X points, especially when on sale!

I have not grabbed the non peanut (plain) ones and definitely your revelation was unexpected and a bit jarring though I guess it comes with the omega 3 territory.

The Skyr berries one I like too; but I have no restrictions.
  • lauriekallis
    ! Unfortunately they have been sold out at my local store for weeks and they only have the Fudge Smoothie bars available - but they have .... wait for it .... fish oil in their ingredient list!

I have also been using the peanut butter fudge smoothies from shoppers on 20X points, especially when on sale!

I have not grabbed the non peanut (plain) ones and definitely your revelation was unexpected and a bit jarring though I guess it comes with the omega 3 territory.

The Skyr berries one I like too; but I have no restrictions.

I might just try the Skyr berries one - hopefully no fish!

It's fun to have a fellow Canadian here :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member

I ended up getting some mint chocolate chip ice cream which is only 180 calories for 2/3 cups. I think I am craving that creamy coldness of ice cream and shakes. Normally I am very good at portioning out my ice cream so I am not worried about serving size.

I do miss frozen grapes. Grapes are one fruit I have not been able to add back without a flare.
  • Poobah1972
    Poobah1972 Posts: 943 Member
    I test my blood glucose and ketone level every morning. Not cause I'm a diabetic, more because I just wanted to fully invest in the lifestyle and having all those data points allows me to see real progress on a weekly basis. Plus I'm a bit of nerd. ;P

This morning I was pleasantly surprised.

Blood Ketones - 2.7
    Blood Glucose - 83 (New Record) (by something like 15 points)
    GKI - 1.71 (New Record)

Usually I'm around 110-127 with occasional spiking up to 155 early on... I haven't spiked that high in a couple of months. Over all though, it just keeps improving. YEAH ME!
  • lauriekallis
    Poobah1972 wrote: »
    I test my blood glucose and ketone level every morning. Not cause I'm a diabetic, more because I just wanted to fully invest in the lifestyle and having all those data points allows me to see real progress on a weekly basis. Plus I'm a bit of nerd. ;P

Blood Ketones - 2.7
    GKI - 1.71 (New Record)

Usually I'm around 110-127 with occasional spiking up to 155 early on... I haven't spiked that high in a couple of months. Over all though, it just keeps improving. YEAH ME!

This sounds like fun. I find investing as much "research" into this process as possible really helps me stay on track. Focussing on my science fair project is way more fun than focussing on staying away from treats. I love to track all my macros etc. Tracking Potassium has probably helped me more than tracking calories. Eating all those fruits and vegetables tends to fill me right up.

Does this test require a finger prick? I'm not sure I'm that dedicated....lol

My mom was diabetic and for awhile I would test my own glucose with her so she wouldn't feel so alone. Didn't enjoy that finger pricking process whatsoever!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member

Blood Ketones - 2.7
    GKI - 1.71 (New Record)

That is a great incentive and an achievement to continue your new healthy lifestyle!....my doctor gets very excited as my numbers all continue to improve!...the nurse told me he actually did a happy dance when he got my last blood test results!
  • Poobah1972

Blood Ketones - 2.7
    GKI - 1.71 (New Record)

That is a great incentive and an achievement to continue your new healthy lifestyle!....my doctor gets very excited as my numbers all continue to improve!...the nurse told me he actually did a happy dance when he got my last blood test results!

Thank you... I'm really glad I went all in on a low carb lifestyle this time including the testing kit (and bread making machine). Its been there the whole time to confirm what I'm doing is working, whether I step on the scales or not. Happy dances are great aren't they. We're (fiancé and I) so content and happy with my entire WOE. We're into the 4th month now and it seems the commitment is only strengthened and our excitement hasn't dulled. :)
  • Poobah1972
    edited April 2021

Blood Ketones - 2.7
    GKI - 1.71 (New Record)

This sounds like fun. I find investing as much "research" into this process as possible really helps me stay on track. Focussing on my science fair project is way more fun than focussing on staying away from treats. I love to track all my macros etc. Tracking Potassium has probably helped me more than tracking calories. Eating all those fruits and vegetables tends to fill me right up.

Does this test require a finger prick? I'm not sure I'm that dedicated....lol

My mom was diabetic and for awhile I would test my own glucose with her so she wouldn't feel so alone. Didn't enjoy that finger pricking process whatsoever!

You are exactly right... I also invest so much time in research and dietary planning and spreadsheets (And let's not forget baking and cooking)... It just totally invests you in the process. Plus it's simple brain mechanics. The more time you sit and ponder anything the more connections your neurons make in the brain strengthening that thought process. So the more you put in the more it becomes physical reality in your brain and in every day reality. That's HUGE! :smiley:

And yeah, but it's only 1 little prick every morning... Painless, and I rotate on 4 fingers. Finger is never sore, and you can't tell they have ever been pricked. (takes just the smallest bit of blood too, you won't be dripping like a faucet... Eeek!) 😆. For me it's worth the minor inconvenience. 👍
  • lauriekallis

Blood Ketones - 2.7
    GKI - 1.71 (New Record)

Nice to have a doctor that cares that much about your health!
  • conniewilkins56
    Laurie, we love our family doctor!....he lost over 80 lbs on MFP and is the person that kept urging me to try the program...he had lost a sister my age because of morbid obesity....I have now lost more weight than another one of his star patients....he isn’t a diet doctor but he is very educated in nutrition, calories, etc...he actually cries when I have an appointment and he sees me now!...and he always returns phone calls!...we had another doctor before we found this one and he was very uncaring and cold...I want a professional doctor but I want to at least like them!
  • Joeblackwell75
    Joeblackwell75 Posts: 13 Member
    What made me feel good today was the great weather in GA. I can say that springtime is finally here with all of the flowers coming up and the new leaves on the trees. It was a gorgeous day and that certainly improves my mood since I work from home on a daily basis. Looking forward to a great week!
  • conniewilkins56
    Almost summer here on the Florida Gold Coast!....had some rain over the weekend but today it was hot!....still felt good to get out and about!
  • lauriekallis
    Laurie, we love our family doctor!....he lost over 80 lbs on MFP and is the person that kept urging me to try the program...he had lost a sister my age because of morbid obesity....I have now lost more weight than another one of his star patients....he isn’t a diet doctor but he is very educated in nutrition, calories, etc...he actually cries when I have an appointment and he sees me now!...and he always returns phone calls!...we had another doctor before we found this one and he was very uncaring and cold...I want a professional doctor but I want to at least like them!

He is worth his weight x 2 in gold for sure!
  • dcshima
    dcshima Posts: 529 Member
    @joone_9 awesome intuition, that is no easy feat!