Thoughts on peloton

Hello MFP community!

I’m in the market for an at home spin bike and subscription and have been seriously considering a peloton. I’ve also looked into proform and I’m leaning towards peloton.

If you have some honest opinions about either brand or even a different brand, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Replies

• nea5025
    nea5025 Posts: 11 Member
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I'm an outdoor cyclist, road and mountain, but I've always enjoyed indoor spin classes. I can't see myself spending Peloton money on an indoor bike. I would put that towards a new road or mtb, but that's just me. I have the Echelon Sport from Walmart and I use the Peloton app. It's a great workout. I'm a fan of their strength classes too. There are a few groups on Facebook that discuss the pros and cons and bike reviews of non Peloton bikes.

Thank you!
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    I am relatively new to spinning (doing a ride right after I post this). I purchased the Schwinn IC4. I am currently using it with Apple Fitness which sync with my watch and phone and I stream the workout on my flat screen TV. Apple fitness is $80 per year I think. The IC4 is supposed to be compatible with the Peleton AP as well. There are facebook groups that address this whole concept.
  • napaglo
    napaglo Posts: 2 Member
    edited April 2021
    It’s amazing!! The Peloton is the Best purchase I’ve ever made!! It’s totally addicting. Download the app and see everything that you get along with the cycling classes. I think there’s a free trial? It’s overwhelming and it’s awesome! We just ordered the treadmill we like Peloton so much.
  • iPaint82
    iPaint82 Posts: 52 Member
    I'm an outdoor cyclist, road and mountain, but I've always enjoyed indoor spin classes. I can't see myself spending Peloton money on an indoor bike. I would put that towards a new road or mtb, but that's just me. I have the Echelon Sport from Walmart and I use the Peloton app. It's a great workout. I'm a fan of their strength classes too. There are a few groups on Facebook that discuss the pros and cons and bike reviews of non Peloton bikes.

Hey! How often do you ride? What’s your favourite bike? I just bought a gravel bike! Can’t wait for it to arrive
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,514 Member
    Everyone I know who bought a Peloton loves it and love the software that comes with it. I have literally heard no complaints, even about the price, which deterred me from getting one for my wife.

The only exception are the bicycle enthusiasts, who prefer something more realistic to real cycling (maybe on their own bike on a trainer) and probably want to connect to Zwift.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    nea5025 wrote: »
    Hello MFP community!

I’m in the market for an at home spin bike and subscription and have been seriously considering a peloton. I’ve also looked into proform and I’m leaning towards peloton.

If you have some honest opinions about either brand or even a different brand, it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Tried my niece's last year when we were out to visit. If you enjoy spin and the group class environment, Peleton is pretty good...don't know anything about proform. I did find the instructors to be a bit over the top and kind of cheesy though.

I do enjoy actual spin classes in person, but for indoor training at home I prefer cycling workouts and programs on Zwift and my road bike and smart trainer as a matter of both cost efficiency and training. But Peloton seems like a pretty good product.
  • barefootbridgey
    barefootbridgey Posts: 81 Member
    When I was shopping around for a bike, what drove me from the Peloton (other than the exorbitant price) was the proprietary classes. I know people like them, but i like the idea of being able to use my equipment for whatever programs I want, without having to use additional screens/devices.

I LOVE the Les Mills cycling progams (not RPM, but Sprint and The Trip) and would strongly encourage giving them a go. I bought a $400ish bike on amazon, and a $60 projector with a firestick and can do whatever workouts I want...and spent WAY less money. I was already doing Les Mills on Demand, which I think is like, $100 a year or something lik that. Obviously, if you know you'll use and love Peloton, then go for it...but if you don't, there are more flexible options and progams...and cheaper bikes. I will probably eventually buy a Stages bike, but use the same set up, it's been good to me. But...then again, I don't care about measuring anything at all - I just want a good workout.
  • Drex_617
    Drex_617 Posts: 153 Member
    I agree with the peeps saying they’re awesome.. nothing beats the outdoors but, if you need to be inside it’s a great workout :)

Good luck! Rock it!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    iPaint82 wrote: »

Hey! How often do you ride? What’s your favourite bike? I just bought a gravel bike! Can’t wait for it to arrive

Hi! I try to ride 2-3 times a week. With the nicer weather there are more night options, group rides, I can join. All my friends are getting into gravel but I have not. Maybe some day. My bike of choice is Giant/Liv.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    I don’t have a Peleton but I recently bought a cheaper spin bike and I love it. What I did find is that I don’t really enjoy online classes much - I did a few YouTube videos to get an idea of it when I first started - but I prefer to just do my own interval workout listening to my music. I used to run and I find the spin bike a great workout, 30 minutes wipes me out.
  • sbaatc
    sbaatc Posts: 6 Member
    Seeing I just did a 45 min spin class on my peloton while my kids were playing video games... it’s the best purchase I’ve made for myself. The bike is expensive but solid. Classes are top notch and music you can sink into. $39 a month is nothing when it come to your health.
  • lorrainemarie_214
    lorrainemarie_214 Posts: 1 Member
    If you can afford it, Peloton is definitely amazing. The Peloton community is incredible, the bike is an amazing piece of equipment, and Peloton offers so many varied classes with different instructors, and they add new content every single day! I've had my bike for 2 and 1/2 years and it was absolutely worth the price. I love their non-cycling classes, too, especially their strength classes!

I think you'll find that people who have a Peloton love it. People who don't have a Peloton talk negatively about it.