WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• Hi All
    Just starting my weight loss journey. I gained 30lbs when I quit smoking a year 1/2 ago. It's time to get it off. I am learning about calorie deficit but heard may be more difficult to lose this way due to being in menopause. Is this true or has anyone experienced this? I am not big into exercising. So looking for something to help me shed all this weight and belly
    Any advice would be much appreciated 🙏
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🌜😴💤
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Nicole – welcome and congrats on quitting smoking. Yes, it is harder to lose weight as we get older. But it CAN be done. I find that if I don’t eat after dinner, or if I just have applesauce or crackers, I usually lose. I do try to keep to 1200 calories/day.

Michele NC
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2021
    Lisa. - :D:D:D

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Qqqq
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    Lisa😂😂😂 I sometimes wonder about their clothing choices!

Picked up Steve then went to a furniture store. We are looking for queen bed, mattress, night stands, and a love seat. The styles there were awful! Came home and got online. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want to like it. I found a metal pipe bed I really liked on overstock. Went to Amazon, found similar with free shipping and $30 less. I also found another I like for half the cost. Still like the first best, but half the cost would pay for night stands and a tv stand......Found a loveseat I liked at another local store. They have it in stock in leather (yuck) but can order in fabric. Want to sit in it. Bed frame is based on looks. Loveseat must be cozy. Another store is having a big sale on mattresses, so will need to check them out. Those may be the most costly as we need box spring too. I am excited for bedroom. Still need to decide on loveseat or just a couple more chairs. Right now we have two chairs and two canvas fold up chairs. Bedroom first! It is coming together.
    Sleep time. Spent the evening online shopping and not working...Oops
    <3
    Kylia
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Machka - My parents supported me too, I think the only time I was ever questioned in a way that made me angry, was before walking me down the aisle my Dad asked me if I sure. He then offered to drive me back to NB. We were in Ontario and my parent were in NB. It was the start of some very miserable moments as my Dad obviously didn’t agree with my choice in husband and Rodger knew it. They never did really get along although they tried to keep me out of their differences.

I enjoy cleaning and am missing it. I could never cook again though and be quite happy. However, I really enjoy home cooked meals.

Barbara - I would buy new pillows for myself in your situation. I buy pillows every 3 years or so, I don’t buy overly expensive ones though.

When we were first married we had a queen sized water bed. We could only for a 2 foot X 2 foot stand on each size of the bed and they barely fit. It was tiny but it was cozy.
    My Grandmother made a quilt for it, and now we use that on our queen regular bed. It fits more like a bedspread.

Heather - you must so enjoy the relationship between Johnny and Max, it’s beautiful to watch their friendship.

Barbie - you have given some great tips!

Vicki - I have learned to be thankful when DH does anything and try very hard not to say anything if it’s not to my liking. I’ve been biting my tongue since January.

Lisa - your “cranky old woman” comment made me chuckle. When our youngest was married in 2019 her and her husband wrote their own vows. One of her vows to him was that, she would grow old with him and sit with him on their front porch shaking their fists at those that younguns. They were only 28 when they were married.

I have taken all evening to make comments. I’m so tired and have another long day tomorrow.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    Lisa, love your rant. Right there with you.

Rebecca - Love the spring pictures.

Recorded for virtual choir today. Our organist played and sang for the base track as our choir director is in hospital with leg ulcers and gout. He has been in for a while now and we are all worried about him.

I am planning on going to the YM pool tomorrow. I have had my vaccination and the chlorine in the pool will kill most anything so I think it should be pretty safe.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    Hi Gals,
    Michele – Ok I know we all have different homes and life styles, but when you said your bedroom was 17x23, I was so surprised, that seemed big…. So the tape measure came out and my bedroom which is the master bed room is 11.5 x 11, and my living room the biggest room in my home is 17x12. I would like my bed room to be just a tiny bit bigger maybe 12 x 13 I would be able to rearrange the furniture a bit. But my room has a queen bed, a simple book case, a dresser, a nightstand and my desk. I honestly can not imagine what I would put in a room as big as yours.

My Dad encouraged my education and varied interests (I was 19 when he died) my mom’s image was of me is that I should be a housewife, and I have always felt judged, and she will say some pretty judgmental things. I am sure she thinks she is helping. Although we are in close contact, I do not consider us close, I would rarely if ever go to her if I needed anything – other than a recipe!
    I believe for me it is hard to hide (even when I try) the tone or wording that others might pick up on, if I don’t approve - I have tried hard and succeed often to realize that until someone is making decisions for me I really do not need to be invested in their life choices.

Welcome all the new folks…

Pillows – I sleep on my tummy and use a pillow that is about ¾ of an inch thick just enough to keep some distance between my mouth and the sheets, my pillow is at least 30 years old, and I LOVE it, I bring it with me and if I forget I just fold my sweatshirt up. I can not figure out the big fluffy ones they look great on the bed, but as a tummy sleeper they would just suffocate me.
    Heather – a tent is great fun.

Smiles, Kim in Northern California
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Hi All
    Just starting my weight loss journey. I gained 30lbs when I quit smoking a year 1/2 ago. It's time to get it off. I am learning about calorie deficit but heard may be more difficult to lose this way due to being in menopause. Is this true or has anyone experienced this? I am not big into exercising. So looking for something to help me shed all this weight and belly
    Any advice would be much appreciated 🙏

Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight.

However, how you accomplish calorie deficit can be different from one person to the next.

Welcome here!

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Just watched Smokey & the Bandit on TV. I hadn't seen it in quite a few years and enjoyed it. Burt Reynolds, & Sally Field were doing a good job. Jackie Gleason as the Sheriff was my favorite character. He provided lots of grumpy humor. After watching the news for the past week or two I appreciated the opportunity to laugh.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    Michele – Ok I know we all have different homes and life styles, but when you said your bedroom was 17x23, I was so surprised, that seemed big…. So the tape measure came out and my bedroom which is the master bed room is 11.5 x 11, and my living room the biggest room in my home is 17x12. I would like my bed room to be just a tiny bit bigger maybe 12 x 13 I would be able to rearrange the furniture a bit. But my room has a queen bed, a simple book case, a dresser, a nightstand and my desk. I honestly can not imagine what I would put in a room as big as yours.

Smiles, Kim in Northern California

I had to do a conversion from metric to imperial.

Our sleeping room is 11' x 8'9" (336.7 cm x 267 cm). We can fit our king-sized bed in there. Just. But it makes a cozy sleeping den.

Our dressing room is just shy of 11' x 8'8" (335 cm x 265.5 cm) - not including the closet. It holds a fairly big wardrobe and 3 dressers plus a blanket box in the middle for us to sit on when we dress or put the laundry basket on.

Our office is 11'2" x 7'8" (340 cm x 235 cm) - not including the closet. It contains a desk, three book shelves and a filing cabinet. It has a small closet and when I get it organised, I might put a shelf in there too.

I wouldn't mind if these rooms were slightly larger so that I could put a futon in the office or dressing room, but as we never have overnight guests, that's not really necessary.

Our bathroom (without a toilet) and toilet room are relatively large. If I owned the place, I'd move the toilet into the bathroom (lots of room in there for it) and push the laundry room over, and create another closet or make a large walk-in closet. But I don't own the place and it is OK as it is. I use the bathroom as an exercise room sometimes. I've often got a basket of weights in there. :)

I don't like the big fluffy pillows either ... not enough support for me. Mine is quite firm and works well for me when I sleep on my side. If I roll over to my stomach, I push it out of the way and I've got a very thin thing (I think it is actually a flat seat cushion for a patio set) under my sheet which keeps my head up just a bit like your thin pillow does.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited April 2021
    Kim - i am a front sleeper too, so I deliberately ordered a soft down and feather pillow for sleeping on. It stated 'suitable for front sleepers'. I slept on it last night and it was great! It really crushed down , but was very comfortable. I am incredibly fussy about pillows too. The second pillow is firmer, synthetic, to be used for propping me up for reading.
    DH has the same synthetic pillow, but I bought him a medium firm down and feather to put on top. He likes two to sleep with. In the night I saw he had fallen off both and his head was sideways on the bed! :D I haven't asked him yet if it helped the wheezing at night.
    I now have four pillows in the garage to add to the pile of stuff to take to the dump. He won't go on his own and I hate getting in the car. I think I will have to go with him though. We have a mountain of stuff.

Katla - I'm sad for you that you live so far away. I hope the vaccine will give you both confidence to go on a visit soon. I know how difficult it is when a spouse has poor health. If I go away for a night or two on my own in the future I will have to make some arrangement to check on DH. (Worry about falling in the night) I thought I could ask him to WhatsApp my son each morning to say he was fine. Or he could stay in their guest room for a night. It's difficult, because pride is involved. But he has lost a lot of confidence since he banged his head. I won't let it stop me though, as he can make some sensible arrangement.
    When he was having anxiety attacks I asked his sister to stay with him, but she has physical difficulties of her own now, plus a boyfriend.

Tracey - I do love to see them. When Max was around two we asked him how old he thought his friend Johnny was was. He thought for a bit and said, "I think he's eight." !!!!!!!! The other grandchildren equally adore him, but I think the two boys thing is special.
    When Max was born DH told me he was a little bit worried about feeling out of it as they weren't his biological grandchildren. He thought my son and DDIL might not feel the same way about him. But it's been quite the opposite. They were the ones who asked DH to help Max through his difficult times recently. She told him they were very privileged to have him. :D<3
    I hope to do the same for the girls as they grow up. But I think nobody sees me as a sensible person. :o:p

Picking up Bea at 11.30, complete with Marmite sandwiches and pain chocolat. I expect she will want to ride her new scooter.
    This evening we have the painter coming for an estimate. Got to think of a meal I can work around that. Not a soufflé then.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    edited April 2021
    Good morning all. It looks like another lovely day here so I am hoping that I can have some exercise outside.

Love all the beautiful pictures of spring flowers and the grandchildren.

Heather: 😍 The relationship between Johnny and the grands. I love watching DH interacting with our grandchildren, even though they are adults now. Enjoy your outing with Bea.
    Pillows: We replace our pillows every couple of years or so. I used to be a side sleeper and had one firmish pillow which cradled my head. I have four or 5 pillows on my bed now and I normally sleep on my back as it’s much too difficult on my knees to find a comfortable sleeping position.
    Kim inNC: I sympathise with you about the critical mother. After my marriage I had to distance myself from mine because of her attitude to my DH. She did everything she could to try and split us.
    Tracey: I’m the exact opposite to you. I love cooking, but see housework as a necessity. Not a pleasure. Love the story about your youngest.
    Kylia: 😍All the cabin stuff. You seem to be having a lot of fun kitting out your little hidey hole.
    Lisa: I know what you mean. You would think that they would have a dress code for their presenters.
    Nicole and other new people. Welcome to our group. It’s a busy group but do not feel that you have to reply to every post. Just jump in when something sparks your interest. Calorie deficit is the only way to lose weight. I use exercise to increase the number of calories I have available. I have found that you have to permanently change your habits if you want to lose the weight and keep it off.

DH has just informed me that the weather is due to break after lunch today so I must get up and have my breakfast so that we can go out for an early walk.

My second pot of amaryllis is in full bloom this week.
    5md926adbqdr.jpeg

☘️ Terri
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Welcome newbies, drop in and chat when you want or need to.

I didn’t have a good week eating wise but getting back to it got to lose those pesky last few pounds.

Worry a bit about DH his memory is definitely getting worse, I mentioned that we hadn’t reimbursed his brother for the part he’d put in the boiler in Feb he said he didn’t remember. They worked on the boiler for a couple of days and I showed him the receipt for the part, I couldn’t understand why he couldn’t remember. I was so frustrated that I had to leave the room nearly in tears. Fear this will happen more but not sure how I cope. He doesn’t seem to be bothered but maybe he is, just not showing it.

Sunny here but we are getting heavy frosts at night, have stuff that needs planting out. Hopefully it will warm up a little by the weekend.

Hairdresser appointment next Monday 👍👍

Stay safe

Kate UK ❤️
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    edited April 2021
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Shadow to powerline, found locksmith-only makes keys on Fridays from 1-4, delivered keys and invoice to fire hall,
    Bonus: 2+ hour Riverview trail hike.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, find those torture bands, call Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, follow up with Chetco Medical re: labs not approved, bank to turn in pennies, ask Nick or Traci about revised escrow statement and refi, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, ongoing: fire district: find locksmith to copy mailbox key, input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), Wednesday: county planning office neighbor’s plans, district board meeting, Thursday: Chiro, Friday copy mailbox key.
    Active April:
    13: Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside:

Absolutely gorgeous day. Blue skies, sunshine, mid-sixties, mild breeze. Riverview trail hike with T got so warm I had to remove my sweater, the Chetco effect winds along the river made it into the mid seventies at least. I am so grateful for T, she doesn’t seem to mind going slowly with me. We notice different flowers, mushrooms, rock formations, views, all while chatting. Just read a blurb interviewing Dr. Sanjay Gupta:” So, what is the best thing you can do for your brain? Per Gupta, "Take a brisk walk, with a close friend, and discuss your problems." Sure felt good! Then afterwards it really felt good to sit down :laugh: Knees are a little achy from dancing on concrete Sunday, then long hike today, but that feels good in a way too, like I really did something…

Machka the instant gratification you mention of clean floor after vacuuming lasts only moments until the dogs come back inside. Cleaning is effort that just must be made over and over and over again. Think Sisyphus. The satisfaction is so brief, the dissatisfaction so immediate, I’m happier ignoring the spruce needles and dog hair until they stand up and demand eviction :laugh: You look so happy cycling! You’re right about the right mattress and pillow making me reluctant to get up in the mornings.
    Heather Eeuwwww! https://www.ehso.com/dustmites.php makes me glad I don’t sleep on Joe’s grandma’s pillows, but hope those feces don’t migrate to my chiropractic foam neck pillow :laugh: Think I’ll spritz mine with peppermint oil just in case. Your DDIL’s mot was juste. “… not a soufflé then” :laugh:
    Barbie thanks for your Gretchen Rubins, especially explaining the “make the positive argument.”
    Welcome back Meg. Deep breath. We can do this!
    Allie “…the company is always a laugh…” the very best medicine is laughing (and sometimes crying) with friends.
    Kylia looking forward to pics of your Kentucky place in progress.
    Julie what is the “eskimo” you mentioned? Some kind of non-dairy ice cream bar? Doing the happy dance for your new washing machine.
    Annie relieved to hear the roast is gone. Well done!
    Welcome @NicolePulverStritesky and con VERY gratulations on quitting smoking. The number one most important choice you can make for your health. Well done!
    Lisa ditto everyone’s :laugh: at your rant. More than possible I’m a cranky old woman too!
    Tracey sure hope you will be well compensated for having to work Sunday. Your and Vicki’s new systems sagas just reinforce my choice to retire when I did. The company was on the brink of new industry-specific software, new email, cloud based productivity software and a merger. It would have been H E double toothpicks. I was so very very very lucky to be able to leave when I did.
    Kim “…I do not need to be invested in their life choices…” Wise words!
    Katla Smokey and the Bandit definitely qualifies as fun to me… :laugh:
    Kate ((hugs))

Time for another aspirin (pesky knee) and bed.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: leaner/stronger/kinder than March.
    daily: sit with Joe: 12, weigh/wii: 12/0/0; steps>5627=9772 :flushed: vits=12, log=12, CI<CO=11, CI<250<CO=10, Tumble=17, Shadow=15, mfp=12, outside=16 up hill=16
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=2 dance=1, clean 30 mins=5.33, packwalk=4, wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/4:140.3 :grin: 4/11: 140.9 4/18: 4/25:
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=1, 21 plan= bonus: AF=8 play= sew= waist=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,577 Member
    :)
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited April 2021
    Barbara

Lovely weather here too, but coooold, (around zero for low). i get repeated satisfaction from cleaning, within degrees. however i don't have dog nor kids so it lasts longer. i do not how every day there is new dust regardless. :D
    Julie what is the “eskimo” you mentioned? Some kind of non-dairy ice cream bar? Doing the happy dance for your new washing machine.

yes, a non-dairy non cane sugar icecream bar. thank you for the washing machine. it's to arrive in next hour and a half or so.

Kate,
    Worry a bit about DH his memory is definitely getting worse, I mentioned that we hadn’t reimbursed his brother for the part he’d put in the boiler in Feb he said he didn’t remember. They worked on the boiler for a couple of days and I showed him the receipt for the part, I couldn’t understand why he couldn’t remember. I was so frustrated that I had to leave the room nearly in tears. Fear this will happen more but not sure how I cope. He doesn’t seem to be bothered but maybe he is, just not showing it.
    sorry about that. that must be truly hard. maybe he is not so aware he is forgetting. not that it's a save all, but there must be lots of online literature about spouses and others losing memory. It seems to me like many are dealing with memory loss - relative to when 20 years old, at faster or slower rates. w my 2 colleagues who seem quite sharp we all admitted we all have memory issues at some moments, and how it's disturbing sometimes. one colleague is very sharp but he said he doesn't remember things much and so he takes copious notes, and it still managing quite well.

Nicole, welcome !
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    after sooo busy weekend and half day of working yesterday, i made a plan to take today light/off-ish;
    i went for my coffee 15 min round trip from home, then worked on getting an appointment for my mac computer which has always been defective from day one. first they denied it. then years later they admitted and repaired when it stopped working. but the repair was lame and it is sometimes no longer chargeable. (there are 2 usbC ports for charging and other, and after "repair" one still didn't work and now the other one doesn't. i had to spend a good half hour on the phone to get an appointment likely recognizing their error.(hopefully). i have to save my hard disk again. I was feeling not totallhy relaxed and after that time on phone i felt so angry. i can feel so angry when on long online tech calls. i'm no model of patience in that context. :| So then i went to my 4 x 15 min cleaning ritual. Feel somewhat better.
    -Scrubbed almost half of the wooden old revarnished floor in 2 rooms. (about 200 sq meters done- needs to be done with a sponge really every few months really - a mop doesn't get the bits of dust or whatever that eventually sticks into the grains- it's an old parquet floor.
    looks something like this if it were new.hsenwk2902y1.png

(about 2 and half 15 min sessions). I'll do the rest of the floor in one or two other sessions, since that involves moving furniture, and i was afraid the washer would come, and it's a bit tiring. i once got a lumbago (back went out seriously for several days) on the morning of my birthday, just before a trip involving many stairs and walking, on an energetic cleaning session, so i try not to overdo it now.

- finished totally cleaning out main area of main closet. whoa! great! made so much space and order! i love it. i wonder why i didn't do that eons ago!

Bed and other stuff already moved early in the morning to make path for washer.