Living the Lifestyle - Monday April 12, 2021

Options
crewahl
crewahl Posts: 3,764 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - crewahl (Charlie)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - newmantjn (Todd)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard

Today's Topic: Influences

Of the Goadies NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE on the message board, who are the two or three that had this biggest impact on you? Who do you miss the most?

Replies

• crewahl
    crewahl Posts: 3,764 Member
    Options
    I’m going to go with Cindy, Tall Steve, and Murple. All three were honest and direct to a fault, and all three had the ability to cut through the nonsense in a single well-chosen phrase or sentence.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,932 Member
    Options
    CSURamFan (Brian) was a big influence on me...he helped me turn around the "goal" mentality into a "process mentality." His most important teaching to me was to suggest that rather than trying to dial-in a particular weight, that we should find a sustainable eating pattern and let that determine our goal weight. I still struggle with this!

Murple, of course, since she was always so thoughtful and clear in her thinking.

Tall Steve, because I always felt like we were cut from the same piece of cloth.

There are many others that I don't want to leave out...Cindy of course, but she's still occasionally active here. Others whose screen-names I can't recall so much anymore.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Murpher. Anyone recall Murpher’s MIL Dinner? Always good.

Larry. Don’t know who’s been around long enough to remember Larry. He was a big help to me when I first started. He talked me down off the ledge a couple of times.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    Fellow electron microscopist Murple of course, Cindy mamacin, Oh and our Canadian from Vancouver (Alfredo YVR or something like that)
    Glad to see Charlie back.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Murple, Cindy, Gavin...there are a bunch, and it is difficult to narrow it down to a few. When was the last time we saw some of the folks who are admins for this page. They used to be an active part of the community, but no longer are.
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, Cindy, Murple and Tall Steve.

There was a woman named Dana (Danabien1, I believe) who inspired me because she had recently lost the weight and had started running. I think she had lost the amount that I wanted to lose, so I paid attention to get comments.

I also learned from some of the folks who lost a ton of weight pretty quickly for events then disappeared. There was also a guy from CA who joined around the same time I did and lost 40 pounds (what I wanted to lose) in about four months to reach goal. I remember thinking I must not be trying hard enough if someone could do that. (I'd lost 14.) He re-gained and came back.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Frank. He still shows up once in a while. But, I miss his perspective.