should i reward myself with a free meal or a free day
or periodically afree day in every week
or free day in a every month
everyone need be set free from discipline somewhat
thanks

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    The answer is whatever feels rewarding to you!

For me, I try to avoid rewarding myself with ice cream or desserts or restaurant meals. Part of the reason I got fat was that I was rewarding myself for "eating well" and I had to uncouple that. Sure, I'll eat some ice cream but not because "I've been good", and getting sushi rather than a greasy fast food meal.

I tend to reward myself with better gear: shoes, clothes, etc.

Nothing wrong with taking a day off of working out or whatever -- a rest day is actually good for you. I've been known to go to the gym and just hang out in the hot tub on such days (pre-COVID).
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Each person is motivated differently. I was never into 'rewards' personally. I was more about looking to the next milestone.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    I have "rewards" set for every ten pounds or so, mostly self-care items that aren't food - a haircut, or a spa treatment, a new dress. Things I don't normally do all the time so they're special, but also affordable with some planning and something to look forward to. I don't reward myself with food, but I will alter my calorie budget to allow for more calories on certain days while still trending at about the same deficit I want. I don't have forbidden foods. I haven't done on a full-on "diet break" before (which seems to mean different things to different people but I mostly interpret it as eating at maintenance for a week or maybe two weeks), but it seems to me like it can be a nice mental break and refresher before buckling down again.

I have a rest day from intentional exercise every Sunday, though my family will often go on a leisurely walk that day if the weather is nice.

Good discipline does not mean going at it with 100% intensity all of the time. It's not endless hair shirts and penance, but a life well lived.
  • AlannaWulf194
    AlannaWulf194 Posts: 24 Member
    I personally take a break from eating lower amounts of calories every couple weeks by eating at maintenance for a weekend. I also enjoy buying myself small things (never food) to reward myself for sticking with it awhile or for losing a set amount of weight.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,394 Member
    You rely on discipline to lose weight, and you want to reward yourself for keeping this discipline for a week, or a month.

Are you going to rely on discipline to maintain your weight?

For a year?
    Two years?
    Three years?
    Four years?
    Five years?

You have to find a new normal.

Normal may need, occasionally, a nudge of discipline, but not the amount and frequency of discipline that requires rewards to avoid giving up.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Leggings.

If they don’t hurt your head to look at, they’re no fun. Zero calorie, and motivate me to stay slim so I can continue wearing them.

sc93uuqm5itl.jpeg

I love leggings too! I just got ones covered by Kermit the Frog and they make me so happy!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Leggings.

If they don’t hurt your head to look at, they’re no fun. Zero calorie, and motivate me to stay slim so I can continue wearing them.

sc93uuqm5itl.jpeg

I love leggings too! I just got ones covered by Kermit the Frog and they make me so happy!

If they had Fozzie Bear I would be over the moon!
  • age_is_just_a_number
    age_is_just_a_number Posts: 630 Member
    Agree.
    Reward yourself by treating yourself with respect and fueling your body with healthy choices.
    Be realistic. I still eat ‘treats’, but I don’t do it to reward myself. It is a choice.
    Other non-food ways I take care of myself: a hot bath with epsom salt and essential oils, a long walk in the sun, a new piece of workout equipment.
  • jeleeper
    jeleeper Posts: 26 Member
    I agree with some of these posts about having something yummy every day. I record all my daily intended calories at the beginning of the day so I can plan it out. I find when I’m looking for something to eat it’s because I’m hungry and if I haven’t planned it I’m more likely to eat more or “cheat”. But if I figure in my special snack and I’m still within my calories for the day, then my reward is built-in. It doesn’t feel like a reward so much as part of my daily intake and it’s all OK.
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    Leggings.

sc93uuqm5itl.jpeg

Leggings.

sc93uuqm5itl.jpeg

https://www.redbubble.com/i/leggings/Fozzie-Bear-by-NeverGiveUp/15734789.7DWO7?country_code=US&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyN-DBhCDARIsAFOELTmimqVJHoK2zBtIWCVaX3kQrenp-OyYRl4RYzEIaP2HenYYfCZmazsaAg4MEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • wmweeza
    wmweeza Posts: 319 Member
    I have chocolate for dessert every night (but stay in my calories). Once a week I have an alcoholic beverage, and about once or twice a month I have a "Freedom day" where I let myself relax on my calories as much as I want.
    For achieving results ,of course the reward is better health, but I buy myself jewelry. It's pretty and I am reminded of how I kept my promises to myself whenever I look at the jewelry