Serial Starters

Replies

• Tilliesmommy1
    Tilliesmommy1 Posts: 5,321 Member
    Good evening,

Many people called in sick today and I was one of two people on the phones... What a nightmare. Like Lynn I am exhausted.

I have tomorrow off, blood work and then psych apt and teeth cleaning. I have enough time in the morning to get some more sleep in.

Trying to keep people at work is exhausting. Another temp is about ready to leave.... I advised her to stay long enough to apply for a couple of jobs in another department. Monster is in high gear going for overdrive. I just keep thinking about the idea of karma...

Wishing all a good night. Stay safe and sane out there.
  • LanaCabana537
    LanaCabana537 Posts: 3,823 Member
    g0hngi4mxdor.jpeg
    *** April 13th ***

Good morning all! β˜€οΈ

Tracy - Thank you for explaining the situation. I do hope that everything works out for you and SO--and his award!!--and that trip to Ohio. Oh yes, I would love to get together with you. Maybe in the autumn, after the summer heat has passed. I'd so very much like to make a road trip around the midwest to visit friends and relatives, and you are on the way! πŸš™

Lynn - Ah, the rites of passage of young people! 21 years old! When you have your flowers planted, post a photo for us, OK?

Sara - you never know.....one of these days Monster could be gone! Karma - you never know. I do hope that you have some better days at work this week. Big, big hugs πŸ€—

Well my scale has been stuck for several days now. Maybe I should get back to walking? Duh. πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ I've been doing a lot of hours with the homework that my lawyer has assigned, and I have blown off the walking. Today I will try to change that.

Waving to all who stop by later on~~

Lana

267.6 today
    269.6 highest
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good morning,

Did not need to fast... but got blood work done. Had breakfast and laid back down.

Dishwasher done and dryer is going - dejunking as I go.

Lana I walk around the house whenever the microwave is on, better than standing there. Got 400 steps while I was waiting for lunch (with my luck that is what all of 2 potato chips??? hahahahahaha). I know your paperwork is draining - walk for a half hour only better for your hips and back as you are sitting doing that paperwork.

In my cleaning I found Austrian and Korean instant coffee I will share and take to work - Austrian is just straight freeze dried coffee and the Korean has "milk" and sugar - either are better than the large things they have at work - unless you make it - they have sat too long... Find these at a large international store.

I made any eye apt for next week most people hate the dentist for me its my eyes - as a child I had all these tests and would rather have my teeth drilled!!

Tracy we are your cheerleading squad. Ohio it is and like the band aid just rip it off and move on. Wowie a meet up!! Sounds like a good plan.

Laundry done so I get to burn 10 more calories hahahahaha.

Wave to all who follow. Stay safe and sane out there.
  • LanaCabana537
    edited April 2021
    53swy6zt6cr6.jpeg
    *** April 14th ***

Good morning all~~

Yesterday I re-motivated myself. My sister is coming east for a visit at the top of June, so I must get my poor body up to speed. I want to be able to do things with her and not be completely out of breath.
    I don't know why, but the past few months, none of the ladies in my walking group have been signing up to walk. So then when I see no one is going, I didn't go either. I didn't realize at the time that my body would fall so out of shape so quickly.

You all must think I'm nuts. How hard can it be to get out there and walk around the neighborhood? Well this IS Chapel HILL, and where my house is, there isn't a flat stretch anywhere. The ladies walking group walks paths that go along creeks, and they are flat!

So, I'm going to challenge myself to check back in every evening for a while with the Cabana Crew and tell you whether I walked or not.

Sara - that's good that you walk when the microwave is going! I clean the kitchen when I'm using mine, so there are some steps involved 😁

By the way, the scale finally moved!

265.0 today
    269.6 highest
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    We have BEES! A swarm has taken up residence in the firethorn bush right outside my bathroom window. I called a friend who keeps bees and she said they will probably move on in a day and a half. I told her that this is the third day of seeing them. If the rain clears this afternoon, she will come get them.
  • ladychr0nic
    ladychr0nic Posts: 127 Member
    @LanaCabana537
    I hear ya, when you're surrounded by hills it can be hard to get out there. Just little steps at a time and you'll get there!

I've been doing really good. Tracking everyday, not snacking too much. Walking with Max for an hour everyday. I live 2 minutes from this beautiful river, and there's this huge network of trails that are so quiet and people-free so I can have Max off leash. He just loves it. I love it too! I feel like I've really found a groove. My jeans are getting loose and my fat scrubs are getting too big! One day at a time, but progress is progress.

We got our second HelloFresh box yesterday and made the fish tacos last night. They were delicious! Excited for ravioli and then brie sandwiches for the next two meals. Definitely having fun in the kitchen, it doesn't seem like a chore anymore. I'm happy my boyfriend will eat anything I make so it's pretty motivating.

SW: 221.6
    CW: 207.2

My starting weight on MFP is different then where I started with my renpho scale. I'm going with my scale because it's the most accurate!
  • LanaCabana537

Mother of Pearl! Tracy - Beeeeees? That is scary. Thank goodness you have a knowledgeable friend--that is a lifesaver. Still, I'm crossing my fingers for them to leave on their own. Keep us posted!

Jordanna - I am glad for you and Max that you have your own private trails to walk! That is super. You are doing really well if the fat scrubs are loose now πŸ’–
  • Twiley510
    Twiley510 Posts: 377 Member
    My friend came over about 1 pm today. She scooped the bees off the bush with a stick until she could get to the queen. Turns out, there were 2 queens. She got some of the worker bees into the box and put the queens in the box. She said the rest of them will move in as it gets cooler this evening. She will come back in the morning and pick up the portable hive.

She was very excited. She said this hive was probably about 3 lbs of bees. She had just ordered and paid for a small packet of bees that would have been about 6 ounces or so. Also, a couple of things about this swarm are odd. 1) It's early in the year for bees to swarm. 2) this is the 2nd swarm she has been called about already this year. She's only been called once before in the past 7 years. Not sure what's going on.

I'm not afraid of bees, but I do have a healthy respect for them. I was allergic as a child, but haven't been stung in decades.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

Bees - okay that is a little too close and Tracy you got it taken care of without a pest control person - good for you. Does your friend sell honey? Local honey is good for allergies.... Wasps are absolutely no fun.

Work is just weird. I for the life of me could not answer the phone correctly and luckily the man on the phone was laughing with me. I was a little embarrassed. Seems I gave out some incorrect information that I am now corrected on and I can now find the information that I need. We changed from one email/chat/file system to another and I now know where to find things again. I hate to give wrong info. Boss didnt want to criticize me in front of the other people so I had to go in her office and close the door - doesnt that look worse??? What a trip.

Still getting 5k every day even if I am walking in circles around my place.

• LanaCabana537
    uw6dz201x164.jpeg
    *** April 15th ***

Good morning all~~

Tracy - So happy to hear that your friend has wrangled the bees and they will live well with her! I had a thought about the calls she is getting--I wonder if people have become more aware of the value of bees, and so they are calling her instead of just exterminating them. πŸ’—

Sara - The Cabana Boys will be having an awards ceremony for you at tomorrow's Happy Hour when they will honor your bravery and courage at work!
    πŸŽ–πŸ†πŸ’›

I did not walk yesterday. I need to pay more attention to the temperatures. It was in the 80s during the afternoon, when I had planned to walk.

So then I decided to go to Lowes and push a shopping cart around the store for a couple of laps. I get there, and the Chapel Hill Fire Department is there to put out an unseen fire on the roof---the place was evacuated. I got upset, gave up, and drove home.
    Today will be better πŸ‘πŸ»

Waving to Jordanna and Lynn and Maureen and Missy and Roz and Caroline and Runa and Dawn and Rieke and John and anyone else who stops by later on~~

Lana

266.0 today
    269.6 highest
    229.0 goal for December birthday
  • Rocky_Runa
    Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
    Hi πŸ™‹πŸ½β€β™€οΈ

It has been several months, but I wanted to pop in really quick. After four months of being displaced and living in a few different places, I got my apartment at the end of February. My progress of cleaning and unpacking is very slow due to lots of pain and inflammation. I had stopped taking the anti inflammatory medication because I began to have easy bruising.

I am learning how to cook and follow recipes. Most of my life, I have stuck to prepackaged food and this whole preparation, assembly, baking/cooking and cleaning process is awful with all my pain and stiffness. 😒 Plus, I really am totally ignorant about cooking. I have had friends walk me through many meltdowns this week. I am trying to increase the appeal and incentive by making my favorite Russian dishes. So far I have made golubtsi (stuffed cabbage rolls) and salat olivier (kind of like a potato salad). Today’s plan is to make kotleti (mini burger patties) and later ukha (soup with fish - in my case, salmon).

The weight is back just above 300 lbs. due to all the stress eating for months. I am fortunate that it’s not much higher. I hope everyone has been having a good year this far. 😁

Runa in OK 🌻
  • LanaCabana537

OMG Runa!!!!! πŸŽ‰
    It is so good to see you!

Congratulations on your having an apartment! That is wonderful!

You are a brave girl for embarking on cooking those Russian dishes. I am Polish, and I have never ever made goΕ‚umbki. They are time-consuming! I haven't heard the word "kotleti" in decades--I miss my mother and grandmothers. They made all of that wonderful food.

I am the queen of easy cooked meals--yes, homemade, not processed. You can't go wrong with a nice non-stick frying pan and a pot with a cheapo steamer basket for fresh vegetables.

Just put a little butter or oil in the frying pan, on low or medium heat, and you can sautΓ© fish or boneless, skinless chicken, or lean ground beef. Shake on a little seasoning, and you're golden. Steam up those veggies, put a drizzle of olive oil and some grated parmesan, and you've got dinner!

I can't remember - do you have a big family to cook for?

This is a good time of year to get back on track because the farmers markets will be overflowing with veggies and fruits πŸ‡πŸ₯¬

Big hugs, and I hope that you can stop by more often - always super to see you! πŸ€—

Lana
  • LanaCabana537

Hey Y'all - I walked for 55 minutes today. It was on an "out and back" trail, and the final 10 minutes were very difficult. Next time, I will turn around a little bit sooner. My watch says that from the time I got up this morning I have walked 4.5 miles.
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

Came home and slept.
    Runa glad you have a good place to stay. There is a fabulous beet salad recipe (if you like beets) I googled russian beet vinaigrette and had a whole list of recipes - it is served cold. Usually makes a lot too.

I use parchment paper on cookies sheets for roasting vegetables (you still oil the vegetables) and it is easier to clean up.

Lana I am glad you got your walk in today, I am still a little under my goal but I am not done yet.

Scale still not my friend but I have more respect for it.

• Rocky_Runa
    Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
    I love vinaigrette!! There are so many dishes that I miss having when I lived overseas.

It is just me here. I never have been one to cook and have been giving friends plenty of reasons to laugh at me this week. Serving sizes and such don’t mean much to me. Some of these recipes should have warning labels on them in plain language - β€˜if you make this recipe as is, you can feed an entire village for a day!’

πŸ˜³πŸ€¦πŸ½β€β™€οΈπŸ€£
  • LanaCabana537
    odwqe3mdskd6.jpeg
    *** April 16th ***

Sara - I like what you wrote about the scale. Mine too! Still not my friend, but I have more respect for it. 🀨

Runa - Laughing at the feeding the village! Yes, single- and double-serving storage containers are my friend for putting all the other portions into the freezer for another time.
    It's worth it to make these large servings recipes because you prep, cook, and clean up once, but then have meals ready to go for 3 or 4 more times. Remember to put labels on!

Wow - It is Friday πŸŽ‰ Special Happy Hour today with the Cabana Boys 🌴 Foot massages and pillow fluffing galore 🌺

See you all later on~~

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

Passed out after work.

Boss was on the warpath and she got to bite my ankles as she showed me my mistakes. I turned around and showed her one of our frequent insurances has since branched out to more insurances since we created a process for it....

Runa put labels on and DATE them. Hard to tell in the freezer. One thing I used to do was when they have eggs at a cheap price was to freeze the eggs - get freezer bags - scramble 2 eggs and put into bag - flatten out bag and seal . Freeze flat so they "stack" flat like magazines. Makes eggs last longer.

I will freeze with bags but I do not microwave plastic ziploc bags - guilty of boxed food.

Making mac and cheese (boxed) with can of chili will make 4 servings and is freezable. Not too great on calories and/or nutrition but a quick dinner.

Dancing at the Cabana? I have about 1600 steps to get in before sundown.

• LanaCabana537
    edited April 2021
    j47mccrnld5m.jpeg
    *** April 17th ***

Up a bit too early, but it's worse to lay in bed hounded by bad memories. Time to make some nice coffee and get more "homework" done.

Sara - that is a great idea about freezing the eggs!
    I hope that you have a good and happy day today πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€—

I've remembered that there's a farmers market on Saturday mornings, so I am going to go to see what they might have this early in the season.

BBL

Lana
  • Tilliesmommy1
    Good evening,

Busy day from 8-12 shopping, got some snap peas at Farmer's Market - nice pair of athletic shoes at half off and vases for lady at church. Younger lady I went with said the other farmer's market was bigger so we go there next time,

Hemmed a pair of pants and it took longer than usual but I did a decent job, so it was worth it.

I will get 6k steps in today and I have a feeling I will sleep very well.

Wishing all a good night and stay safe and sane out there
  • LanaCabana537
    391kmozdodje.jpeg
    *** April 18th ***

Good morning all~~

What's everyone doing today?

I'm just waking up - slept like a log, thank goodness.

Lana

265.8 today
    269.6 highest
    229.0 goal for Dec.