Groin pain

I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out what's going on with me and maybe offer some solutions. I had a baby 2 and a half months ago and during my pregnancy I suffered from what I thought was spd and it mostly went away when I gave birth. A week ago I started to get back into exercise (basically walking with running intervals for now) and this pain is coming back. It's in the pelvic area where my leg meets my torso with pain radiating upward toward my butt/back/hip. Basically only on one side right now (although during pregnancy this pain was mostly on the other side). Does anyone know what this might be and more importantly, any stretches or exercises to help alleviate it? Any responses would be most appreciated.

Replies

• queanmum
    queanmum Posts: 28 Member
    Retired nurse here. Please "google" sciatica. The sciatic nerve runs down the center of the buttock and down the back of the leg all the way to the ankle. There is also a branch of the sciatic nerve that can make your knee hurt. It's a very common problem in pregnancy and afterward because of the added weight and the way pregnancy changes your posture. You can have pain along all or just part of the nerve. Any of the low back exercises can help, but it takes time. Switching to non weightbearing exercise would help until the inflammation goes down. After looking this up, if it sounds like you, don't run or jog until you haven't had the pain for 2 or 3 months. Unfortunately, once you've had sciatica it can be a recurrent problem. Take care.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    Sounds like sciatica. I have it and it's been chronic since my 20's. Still a dull ache, but manageable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    If you are able to and the pain continues, it may be beneficial to see a pelvic floor physical therapist. It's not uncommon for women to have problems with their pelvic floor muscles (which it sounds like this is where the pain is originating from) after pregnancy, even more so with a vaginal birth. It would be hard to describe or recommend exercises here, but you may want to google pelvic floor pain after pregnancy and you'd probably find some useful information.
  • dydn11402
    dydn11402 Posts: 95 Member
    Thank you for taking the time to respond. I don't think it's sciatica bec the pain is mainly focused on my front like in the "v". It spreads toward the back and even down the front of my leg but that's where the pain originates. I'm gonna check out pelvic floor issues and see if that resonates. Thank you!
  • rhondaw34
    rhondaw34 Posts: 1 Member
    I had the same pain! Mine turned out to be a hernia! Had surgery in January and still feel some pain ! Good luck!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    You might also want to consider whether it could be a stress fracture. When I had my pelvic stress fracture, the pain radiated down one leg. Does it hurt only when weight bearing or does it also hurt if you are lying on your side raising your leg? Can you hop on one foot without agony? My answers to the three questions were yes, no and no.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,476 Member
    I have no clue what an SPD is but I had pelvic surgery for endometriosis and came out with multiple damaged nerves, nerve injuries can happen from those surgeries causing pain and numbness in the groin. My aunt had pain after a c-section in the groin and my SIL had numbness from my nephew putting pressure on the nerve that came and went after delivery. It's worth talking to a doctor because the reason it's happening would determine treatment.