WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,804 Member
    edited April 2021
    In my recent university program, it was drilled into us that we had to do consultations with all stakeholders before creating any sort of IT plan for the clients.

Today we had a meeting where the IT department had definitely not done that. They excluded my department (data and policy, basically) from the main plan and tacked us on as an eventual second stage. Then, during the Q&A section, the presenter put down what about half of us do as unimportant ... never mind that what we do is instrumental in receiving the funding. Finally, as the room started heating up, the presenter backtracked and told us that this plan is extremely early stage and high level ... and ended the meeting.

That went well (not) ... and was an hour out of my day I won't get back!

But in a way it was kind of amusing because I was sitting next to and slightly behind the presenter, and my supervisor was kind of across the room. When she (the presenter) was addressing other people, he (supervisor) was making faces and grinning at me, especially as she was announcing that what I (and the two people sitting beside me and a few others in the room) was unimportant and would be phased out if the plan was adopted by all. She had no idea what she was talking about or who she was talking to!

Fortunately, I did get a couple things done and got started on a third thing, so the rest of the day went well.

I also walked 2 km and climbed 20 flights of stairs.

M in Oz

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Watching touched by an angel ,Homer is tucked in and snoring.. Alfie watching TV and waiting for animals to come on to bark at lol..
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited April 2021
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, emailed mfg home refi interest rate request to eHomeLoans, follow up message to PA re unapproved labs, meeting prep, made refi appointment with bank, voicemailed Wild Rivers (541 247 3514) for dog wash/nail trim appointments, budget committee and board meetings.
    Bonus: started the Dear Joe love letter, typed hymns, three hours processing paper, decluttering keyboard, emailed Thrivent beneficiary update requests, listened to SIL’s drama.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, find those torture bands, refi appointment at bank, chiro, budget meeting notes, board meeting minutes, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, call S, fire district: Fri: locksmith to copy mailbox key; ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers), Wednesday: district board meeting, Thursday: Chiro, Friday: county planning office neighbor’s plans.
    Active April:
    13: Move as much as possible, even if you’re stuck inside: moved a lot outside on the 13th, fairly well on the 14th despite meetings.
    14: Make sleep a priority and go to bed in good time: nope, meeting disrupted. Try again the 15th.
    15: Relax your body and mind with Yoga, T’ai Chi or Meditation: or by soaking in hot tub before Chiro.

Oops, so maybe the unfamiliar charge wasn’t for Xmen, but for my monthly Hallmark subscription. Time to watch those missing Signed, Sealed and Delivered episodes and cancel… then maybe consider Discovery+ :}

Penny you say “tripwire to warn against approaching polar bears. (As one does.)” so casually it made me shudder. Then I saw the second pic of the ponies in the paddock and had a good chuckle. Are those buildings apartment houses? Glad to see you back. Prayers for effective treatment for your GS.
    Lisa like the checklist idea since eXcel is my first go-to… but thinking that for me putting a checklist on my phone might work better. Will see if my Any list or Calendar would be easily adaptable, or if there are any free apps with good reviews. Beautiful quilt centerpiece!
    Machka thanks for the desiccant package hint. 79-84F in the bus? :noway:
    Welcome back @themissy Susie from Miami!
    Vicki I am so with you about upselling. When we first moved here I cracked a tooth and had to go to the only DDS in town who was accepting new patients. At my next checkup, he “found a problem” with one of my lower incisors and tried to sell me on an implant. I demurred and got on the waiting list for the most highly recommended DDS here. Glad we did, he’s expensive (same as Dr. SellMore) but doesn’t try to push unneeded procedures.
    Heather upstairs window doesn’t open? Brava for the fan!
    Welcome @kittycatowner and conVERY gratulations on taking off 115 lbs. Would you let us know what you’d like to be called and your general locale?
    Pip :love: the pillow, the shower curtain, Yogi on the mat and of course Kirby’s smile.
    Michele most of our 15+ vertical acres are heavily wooded. Only a little grass around the house for the dogs to exercise and Joe to mow.
    Allie holding good thoughts for Homer’s complete recovery.
    Rebecca “worldwide naked gardening day”??? Hat, sunglasses, gloves and wellies?

Steps not bad (4584) for a mostly sedentary day. Spent the morning processing paper and decluttering keyboard, evening at Budget Committee and Board meetings.

Our Pfizer vaccines ripened today, hooray! What will I do differently? Nothing yet. Still will mask indoors, maintain distance, wash wash wash hands. Will return, masked, to inside in person church on Sunday, trying very hard not to hug anybody.

Virtual hugs to you all. The connections you all share here have been vital to me throughout this pandemic, and even throughout our relocation to Oregon away from family and friends. I’m so very grateful to you all!

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: leaner/stronger/kinder than March.
    daily: sit with Joe: 14, weigh/wii: 14/0/0; steps>5627=4584, vits=14, log=14, CI<CO=13, CI<250<CO=12, Tumble=18, Shadow=17, mfp=14, outside=18 up hill=18
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rx=2 dance=1, clean 30 mins=6.33, packwalk=5, wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/4:140.3 :grin: 4/11: 140.9 4/18: 4/25:
    mnthly: board mtg=1, grant=1, 21 plan= bonus: AF=10 play= sew= waist=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    I've started doing a Word document for End of Life or Incapacity. Lots to think about. One complication is my royalties from my books and my literary estate. I am writing down my wishes for all that, but it does create extra work for the heirs. I hope my two boys can organise it.
    DH is feigning deafness when I mention it. I hope some part of him is listening and he will do something. I have no access to any of his money, emails, saving accounts etc. Most household utility accounts are joint, but not all. His phone and computer are password protected and he has a complicated system for other passwords on a coded grid. I do have a record of his savings accounts in the will folder.
    It's no good me pushing him, so I hope he will follow my good example. I fear either of us becoming incapacitated the most. I am carrying on with my LPA, but need my best friend's current surname. She has half changed it and I don't know what is the official one!

Lots to do.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,902 Member
    xvc01zzsb2t9.jpg
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited April 2021
    Heather - one resource we have used is Five Wishes. I think it is put out by: AgingWithDignity.org . Even if you don’t use their form, just reading through the questions may be helpful and is definitely thought-provoking. Here is a link for a sample view; there are websites where you can download the pdf document for free if you want to print it out, but this will give you an idea…

https://fivewishes.org/docs/default-source/Samples/five-wishes-sample.pdf

Karen in Virginia
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🌥️😊❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2021
    Thank you Karen. I have looked at it just now. It's not a legal document in the UK, but very useful as a general expression of my wishes. I will do something similar, if not that one. Unfortunately DH is not up to those kinds of decisions for me. (I belong to My Death, My Decision, a pressure group for legalising medically assisted dying, and he disagrees with me). However, I can express my wishes in a health LPA and choose someone more sympathetic. I definitely do not want to be kept alive by hopeless, intrusive interventions.
    I feel very strongly about this. I am very much in favour of the hospice movement though.

Off in half an hour for our 2nd Pfizer. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    Kirby doesn’t know how to take a bad pic
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    edited April 2021
    Heather
    I know it must bother you a LOT that your husband is so private about his emails, computer, accounts, etc. That is difficult for me to believe because my husband and I share all that sort of information. I wonder if it has to do with the way he was raised.

Karen
    The old toys would be quickly gathered up by my husband but not by our son (the original owner). Son had every Star Wars toy made but unfortunately one of the renters of our first home took them out of the attic. My husband and son are very close and spend hours discussing their guns, etc. I know my son loves me dearly but we don't have that much to talk about with the exception of recipes we are making.

Carol in GA
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »

Vicki I am so with you about upselling. When we first moved here I cracked a tooth and had to go to the only DDS in town who was accepting new patients. At my next checkup, he “found a problem” with one of my lower incisors and tried to sell me on an implant. I demurred and got on the waiting list for ...

Steps not bad (4584) for a mostly sedentary day. Spent the morning processing paper and decluttering keyboard, evening at Budget Committee and Board meetings.

Our Pfizer vaccines ripened today, hooray! What will I do differently? Nothing yet. Still will mask indoors, maintain distance, wash wash wash hands. Will return, masked, to inside in person church on Sunday, trying very hard not to hug anybody.

Virtual hugs to you all. The connections you all share here have been vital to me throughout this pandemic, and even throughout our relocation to Oregon away from family and friends. I’m so very grateful to you all!

Dental upselling: tell me about it! my dentist retired. went to the one recommended by him and the one recommended by his dental hygenist.
    The 1st said i need at least 3 crowns and probably 3 implants. The 2nd said i needed 4 crowns, no implants. then went to one of a friend: he said i need just one crown, no implant and some onlays. there is no real price difference between the 2nd and the 3rd since the 2nd is rather lowcost on local scale and the 3rd is in the upper ranges. i finally got an appointment with my past dentist (good but very busy and my previous one worked in my building. how easy was that!
  • bananasandoranges
    full of stress today.

more tech stuff. computer in the shop now and for up to a week or longer. it's apple and apple stores are all closed at present, so only the certified repair people can take all the work --meaning they have much more work. though i had an appointment i had to wait outside (only 2 people inside the little shop at a time) for about 30 minutes. etc, etc.

day is a bust

i did get more catch up laundry done
  • bananasandoranges
    i tried to post earlier but it seems to be lost.

today's cleaning: about 30 min paper sorting
    about 30 min++ laundry sorting and dealing with.

I have about 3.5 loads of clothes (never have more than 1.5 loads in normal life!)

and 2 loads of sheets and towels
    and a little load of rags
    and a little load of whites.

slowed down cause i can only hang dry about 2 loads at a time, more or less, and at least half the stuff takes nearly 24h to dry.
  • bananasandoranges
    i feel like physically angry.

not really so much angry about a thing. (though i can find subjects)

more anxiety, but i feel like the physical feeling is stronger than the thoughts or emotions.

• cityjaneLondon
    Bananas - Tech stuff drives me into a rage. :sad:
    It's ok to be cross. <3

2nd Pfizer DONE!!!!!!!!! :D
    Just doing my 15 mins sitting.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    Carol - You are right. :#:/

I know what accounts he has and what he has in them more or less, but if he was ga ga I would be in a bit of trouble if he doesn't do an LPA.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Heather- my dad was the same way i tried talking to him about it for years. It was a pain after he passed but it got done..
    That is why i have most everything all set..i have a password book,will and advanced directive set..
    Lisa- beautiful quilt...
    Im trying to pick up my place as i have a couple of friends coming tomorrow night
  • cityjaneLondon
    Allie - I'm happy with the will situation, but Alzeimers or brain injury is the real problem. If he was totally ga ga for years? .?
    He can't even imagine such a situation. I can.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx