A Plan to Finally Get Healthy...Finally

If you asked me how many times I have tried to lose weight, I would not be able to answer you. I've started and failed far more times than I can count. Each attempt has not only ended in failure, but over the past 20 years I have managed to gain an additional 80 pounds, with me hitting my highest weight ever this year. I now have 110 pounds to lose before I hit my goal weight. Honestly, I would settle for losing 80 pounds just so I'm remotely healthy again.

Given how many times I've started and failed, it almost seems stupid to try this again. Almost. I've come to realize the only time that this become stupid is when I stop trying. I also realize that I am never going to be healthier if I keep partaking in every indulgence that comes my way.

I started 2021 with one word in mind: discipline. My goal for this year is simple - to be more disciplined in every area of my life. That's a big task, but it is a necessary task that has to happen. I need to transform my life before my life passes me by or I end up diagnosed with a major medical issue because of my poor health.

Summer will be here soon and I don't want to lay it to waste again this year sitting inside on the couch because I'm too lazy to go outside. I don't want that for my husband or my son. I want to be active. I want to be healthy. I want to change.

I also know this is going to be hard. I recently read that it takes 21 days to make a habit and 3 months to break a habit. In the short term, 3 months sounds like a really long time. In the long term, 3 months is nothing. I'm going for the long term, so I'm going to commit to making healthy choices for the next 3 months. I'm not going to deprive myself because then I'll binge (been there done that), but I'm also not going to go to the store every time I have a craving and I'm not going to keep food in the house that I will be tempted to pig out on.

I like plans and structure, so why not do a structured plan? It looks like this:

Month #1
- Exercise twice a week for at least 10 minutes
- Stay within my daily calorie limitations
- Be more active
- Drink 8 glasses of water a day (8oz each)
- Not buy myself any junk food at the store

Month #2 will be determined based upon month #1's results

Okay - Here I go!!!!!!!

Replies

• 1poundatax
    1poundatax Posts: 230 Member
    I love that you have a clear plan. I know you will do this.
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    If you asked me how many times I have tried to lose weight, I would not be able to answer you. I've started and failed far more times than I can count. Each attempt has not only ended in failure, but over the past 20 years I have managed to gain an additional 80 pounds, with me hitting my highest weight ever this year. I now have 110 pounds to lose before I hit my goal weight. Honestly, I would settle for losing 80 pounds just so I'm remotely healthy again.

Month #1
    - Exercise twice a week for at least 10 minutes
    - Stay within my daily calorie limitations
    - Be more active
    - Drink 8 glasses of water a day (8oz each)
    - Not buy myself any junk food at the store

Month #2 will be determined based upon month #1's results

Okay - Here I go!!!!!!!

Hi @transformed2021, my name is Deb...This is my3rd time here, and my two mottos are "dedicated to be dedicated" and "tiny changes equals remarkable results" I log in everyday, and I love coming into the MFP Community. You mentioned that you read it takes "21 days to make a new habit" I am reading "Tiny Habits" and he believes that as long as we do not look back and DO what we intend...it won't take 21 days...it is NOW we can change! Lol...21 days will be here in no time..but if we just DO what our structured plan is...it happens now rather than think about it...I liked that thought! If you want support I will request you as a Pal, and cheer you on to your Goals!! Thanks for being so detailed.