Snacking to make up for Undereating

I've had an issue with undereating for years now. I was recently advised to focus on eating more, smaller meals throughout the day, but constantly trying to eat meals when I don't want to is frustrating and honestly a bit stressful. Does anyone know if there any good snacks/small meals that are high in calories but not literal candy that might be easier for me?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Ice cream or full fat yogurt.
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    Full fat cottage cheese with fruit.
    Oatmeal with nutbutter and nuts/seeds/fruit
    Heck, nutbutters or nuts.
  • spiralarchitect924
    spiralarchitect924 Posts: 17 Member
    Peanuts and Greek yogurt? I'm a hard gainer and these are my go to's. I add honey to the Yogurt as it's very bitter. Eating a lot is diffucult if you're not used to it. I'd try gradually increasing caloric intake. Good luck.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I've had an issue with undereating for years now. I was recently advised to focus on eating more, smaller meals throughout the day, but constantly trying to eat meals when I don't want to is frustrating and honestly a bit stressful. Does anyone know if there any good snacks/small meals that are high in calories but not literal candy that might be easier for me?

I hear you regarding eating a snack/meal when your not hungry. More of a chore than anything else...Not that I know anything about your situation, but perhaps it would be better for you to eat three meals/day? Maybe then you would have more of a appetite to get the calories in.

As far as food choices that are calorie dense...google is your friend of course - just pick what ever you like. One can consume a small meal (or snack) and yet eat a high amount of calories. (nuts/spreads/dips/dressings/cheese/granola-grains/) Also, smoothies can pack away a great deal of calories if you make them 'right'.

Hugs and good luck!
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    There's a huge thread for folks who have a hard time gaining weight. Check it out.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1
  • judydibben
    judydibben Posts: 3 Member

• judydibben
    I have recently had my stomach removed and must eat 6 to 8 mini meals/snacks per day and I struggle to consume 1800 calories per day just to maintain my current weight. My daughter makes me Almond Butter Oatmeal Energy Bites With Mix-ins from Allrecipes. Look this up online. She doubles the size of these to make 434 calories per ball. I don’t know what I would do without them. I know your struggle. Good luck!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    judydibben wrote: »
    I have recently had my stomach removed and must eat 6 to 8 mini meals/snacks per day and I struggle to consume 1800 calories per day just to maintain my current weight. My daughter makes me Almond Butter Oatmeal Energy Bites With Mix-ins from Allrecipes. Look this up online. She doubles the size of these to make 434 calories per ball. I don’t know what I would do without them. I know your struggle. Good luck!!

You should look up fat bombs also. Big in the keto diet, but also very caloric
  • jhepstall
    jhepstall Posts: 12 Member
    Omg I have the same problem! It’s so hard to find someone/ people who share the same struggle. It’s not very common to find someone who struggles with appetite as well as eating steady meals consistently. Add me and we can encourage each other to meet a calorie goal!!
  • judydibben
    I am still getting used to maneuvering my way through MFP and have a little bit of trouble finding things but getting better. I will be checking out the Fat Bombs for sure. Thank you psuLemon for that! Jhepstall, I would be happy to work on our calorie goals together!! I hope we can help each other.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited April 2021
    I am still getting used to maneuvering my way through MFP and have a little bit of trouble finding things but getting better. I will be checking out the Fat Bombs for sure.

You had your stomach removed? Surely you have some left because it would be difficult to eat 6-8 snacks a day without some of it left. Do you still have your gallbladder. Are you talking WLS here because if they removed your gallbladder at the same time check with your surgeon before you start consuming fat bombs. Your surgeon and medical team are your best resources.
  • ashbysam075
    ashbysam075 Posts: 1 Member
    What about sunflower seeds? I've been snacking on a bag of them lately.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Chocolate pudding, bagels, peanut butter, full fat milk, butter, cream....
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »

You should look up fat bombs also. Big in the keto diet, but also very caloric

Fat bombs are the bomb. As a diabetic, a good fat bomb recipe is a great way to get an indulgent treat without spiking blood sugars!
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I have the same issues. Nuts and nut butters are my friend. Plus full fat dairy (yoghurt, cheese,cream),shakes made with full fat dairy and protein powder , porridge (oatmeal),adding oil to vegetables ,soups etc..
    Eating smaller, more frequent meals has definitely helped me to gain weight. I just don't have a big enough appetite to get enough calories from 3 meals, no matter how hungry I am.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

For me, not necessarily undereating, but I gave up a 1500 calorie per day booze habit a couple months ago and had to figure out how to make up for those calories with more food...I lost about 8 Lbs over the course of two weeks and slowed that down to where I'm losing my COVID weight at a more reasonable rate.

My meals aren't particularly different than they've ever been, but I'm snacking more now that I'm not boozing all the time...

Nuts...I started adding chopped up almonds to my breakfast oatmeal that I have 3-4 times per week and also started having almonds as a snack and/or apples with peanut butter.

Cheese...I found some individually wrapped servings of Tillamook sharp cheddar that are great for snacking.

I eat desert after dinner pretty much every night...usually dark chocolate morsels but I have ice cream a couple nights per week too.

I'm also eating more things like pasta, rice, etc to add calories...had some delicious lobster ravioli the other night tossed in olive oil and topped with parm.