Getting out of a rut..

Options
What have been your cool coping strategies?

Mix in lockdown, loneliness, overwork, missing family and the gyms and pools being shut i have got into a massive rut. All day (especially on a stressful one) I look forward to returning home and binging on chocolate, sweets and other unhealthy food in front of the TV. It is like i am holding my breath waiting for the door to shut at the end of the day and the binging to start. But this behaviour is taking its toll... exhaustion, GI distress, brain-fog and depression.

I'm guessing this has been common for many of us in recent months and was looking to exchange tips and tricks to actually stay in a deficit, reduce the binges and get back into moving my body a bit more..

Of special request ways to raise serotonin that are not chocolate, activities that really FEEL good!

Replies

• nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Set a goal. I got into a lazy rut after the new year, where my activity dropped off. So eventually I decided I NEEDED to get out of it, and signed up for a virtual hike across the Grand Canyon. So I log my miles every day in that challenge.

Can you combine your tv time with something active? Can you budget some calories for the 'fun' food, or plan to snack on some lower calorie alternatives instead?
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    What if you started by just eating at maintenance for a month or so to just ease back into a routine without the binging? You could build in some chocolate and other things into your calorie budget so you won't feel deprived, just focus on stopping the gain and refocus on tracking and portion control, and then build in a deficit down the road? It may feel less overwhelming and get you out of the all-or-nothing mindset.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    That's so cool @springlering62! I like to embroider, similar idea - make something beautiful and keep my hands busy. Cross stitch is a simple method to learn and there's kits everywhere.

I also like walking. I often keep one earbud in for outdoor runs and walks and listen to audiobooks or podcasts.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Music, often in the form of playlists for exercise (including walking) really helps me cope. Working out is a big one for me. I also journal. I'm single and live alone, so I've had to amuse myself for the last 13 months (and counting).