Premium worth $80?

SeanD2021
SeanD2021 Posts: 7 Member
I noticed premium is now 19.99 a month or 80 a year. That to me is an insane price increase for what is was a few years ago when it was obly 50 for the year.

Why the price increase? Is it worth it or is just the basic calorie logging enough? I want to lose fat not muscle so knowing Marcos would be helpful but at end of day its calories that matter

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I've never needed premium. I lost all my weight using the free version.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You can track macros on the free version. Premium is only worth it if you plan on using the specific features premium offers.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2021
    What exactly do you want to achieve with your macro tracking choices?
    Although some Premium features might make certain methods of tracking easier it doesn't change what you eat and there are workrounds or different ways to account for other ways of tracking macros about from the very crude percentages. Maybe not perfect ways but good enough for purpose.

The extra features aren't worth paying any amount of money for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    SeanD2021 wrote: »
    I noticed premium is now 19.99 a month or 80 a year. That to me is an insane price increase for what is was a few years ago when it was obly 50 for the year.

Why the price increase? Is it worth it or is just the basic calorie logging enough? I want to lose fat not muscle so knowing Marcos would be helpful but at end of day its calories that matter

There really isn't a whole lot on premium that you can't do with the free version of MFP...you can track your calories and macros with both. I was here long before premium was even a thing and personally have never felt any need to pay. Premium has the same glitches as free...uses the same database for food and exercise, etc, etc...I've never really seen the point.
  • dolorsit
    dolorsit Posts: 92 Member
    Is this in the app? If so, it's because of the huge slice that mfp has to give to apple/google. If you sign up on the web site, it's £40 for me in the UK, so I imagine $40-$50 in the US.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited April 2021
    dolorsit wrote: »
    Is this in the app? If so, it's because of the huge slice that mfp has to give to apple/google. If you sign up on the web site, it's £40 for me in the UK, so I imagine $40-$50 in the US.
    I agree, check the different platforms because I do believe there is a price discrepancy unless they have changed it.

I have premium because I am an impatient and easily distracted person (legit diagnose ADHD), ads make me want to scream! I pay money to not have to trudge through them. Other people (like my mom) don’t care and aren’t bothered or distracted by bright flashy objects.

ETA: my iOS subscription is set to renew at $49.99, maybe a grandfathered in price? Not sure 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • becky943mfp
    becky943mfp Posts: 1 Member
    Some people are motivated by the fact they're paying money, so they better make use of what they're paying for.

Personally I'm motivated just knowing I need to eat better but to each his own.
  • Larrycaclarry
    Larrycaclarry Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2021
    I love this app but it looks like it's time to try out MyPlate. My wife and I both like it, But just cannot do 80.00 each. For $160.00 a year we will be forced to find another more affordable app. bye now!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I love this app but it looks like it's time to try out MyPlate. My wife and I both like it, But just cannot do 80.00 each. For $160.00 a year we will be forced to find another more affordable app. bye now!

MFP also has a free version, and it's not hugely different from premium really unless you really just have to enter your macros by grams rather than percentages and a few things like that. I've been around here for 8-9 years and I've never seen the point in premium and always used the free version.
  • luxia2020
    luxia2020 Posts: 55 Member
    I've been subscribed to premium for a few years now through Google Play store, it's always been this price. Then again, it's worth it to me since I hate ads and I use the "premium" features on the daily.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,344 Member
    I lost all my weight via the free version.

I subscribed, not for any particular benefit, but to support the app for what it’s given to me, and in hopes that it will remain viable for many many years to come, so that the AWESOME community will continue to thrive.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited December 2021
    While there are some features that the premium has that I would LIKE, out of simple curiosity, if nothing else, there is nothing that is NEEDED. I have lost over 230 pounds and been here since LONG before there was a paid version.

at $10 a month, I'd probably do it, at $50 YEAR-definitely do it glitches and all... at twice that ($20 a month)... with ALL of the glitches it has... considering the fact half the time I can't view my OWN profile, and that the features we have asked for, for YEARS, regarding our profiles and their usability, have fallen of deaf ears... I just can't. My support comes in recommending it to people. My results and the efficacy of USING MFP speaks for itself, and I don't hesitate to tell people HOW I lost the weight and WHERE I go every day to log my food, as well as the invaluable support and knowledge on the forums and in building a support network of friends on your own personal feeds. And maybe if I didn't have OTHER fitness/health expenses that I felt were more valuable (2 gym memberships and a personal trainer), I MIGHT consider it (probably not, but maybe)... but as it stands... not at the current price point.
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,470 Member
    I have done some pretty serious dieting, including 2 contest preps, using the free version of MFP. Is it perfect? HEEEEEEEEEEEEECK NO. But it does work and it's free.

THAT SAID, I am now paying $10/month for MacroFactor because it's flippin' amazing - all the data and nerd stuff you could possibly want and a ton of whiz-bang features (including being able to copy/paste recipes you find online or even in text (using google lens to photo) and dumping them into a recipe builder and it calculates the macros etc for you; you only have to indicate if you're eating 1/4 of the dish or whatever portion size), in an overall elegant package.
  • chartrand34
    chartrand34 Posts: 2 Member
    I used to have premium until it went up. I used to pay $57.99 a year now it's $114.99a year, I am not paying that much. Why can't it go back down.
    To much
  • sheilaraeb
    sheilaraeb Posts: 3 Member
    I too am very dissappointed in the raise in price. Won’t do it
  • dkelley9652
    dkelley9652 Posts: 1 Member
    I am using the calorie counter only, no Premium features need or wanted. I have Fitbit and Pelton for fitness, workouts, meals, etc. They will now charge a premium subscription price to use the Add Food label scanner. Such a shame..I just started using this and now will need to find a new App....$20/mo. for a calories counter app is too much. I Like the app and would pay $50/yr but not $20/mo.
  • wkienzle
    wkienzle Posts: 1 Member
    It looks like other MyFitnessPal users agree with everyone here; not enough people subscribed to satisfy UnderArmour. Now they are taking away the barcode reader (effective October 1) unless you have a Premium subscription. To make paying for Premium more attractive, they are offering a 50% discount off the annual rate - which they just raised. When I saw the "discounted" amount, I first thought I would get 50% off that price. The discounted price is $79.99.
    I might continue to use the app without the barcode reader, even though it is less handy that way. If the app becomes unsusable, I might end up losing my 2744 reporting streak.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    wkienzle wrote: »
    It looks like other MyFitnessPal users agree with everyone here; not enough people subscribed to satisfy UnderArmour. Now they are taking away the barcode reader (effective October 1) unless you have a Premium subscription. To make paying for Premium more attractive, they are offering a 50% discount off the annual rate - which they just raised. When I saw the "discounted" amount, I first thought I would get 50% off that price. The discounted price is $79.99.
    I might continue to use the app without the barcode reader, even though it is less handy that way. If the app becomes unsusable, I might end up losing my 2744 reporting streak.

Nice of us to beta test the bar code feature for them.