Accountability buddy

Replies

• beshamama
    beshamama Posts: 240 Member
    My in-laws bought a house about a 1/2 hour drive from us. They move in next month. Hubby and I had a big talk about all my worries and concerns his family, the state of the world, everything. It was a great talk and I feel better.

I have been going on a bike ride every day...it’s about 12 miles and I just feel great getting outside. Since it loops around the lake I get to look at all the loons that are visiting for the spring.

Yesterday I attempted to do intermittent fasting. I hate feeling hungry so this was really hard. Not sure if I want to do it again or not. How people can fast for whole days is beyond me! I just tried to stick to 1000 calories and I felt like I was starving! I didn’t do any exercise yesterday but it was still soooo hard! I did lose weight though but was it worth it?

Goals for this week:
    *bike ride every day
    *stay in calorie budget
    *drink more water
  • ladychr0nic
    ladychr0nic Posts: 127 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    Those are great goals! Very inspiring post :)

@beshamama
    Wow great job on the bike. I just bought a bike, too and it's so fun! Excited to get more miles in.

I've been doing pretty good. Down 1.6 pounds this week. Been hitting all my goals on my apple watch everyday which feels really good. It's supposed to be gorgeous and sunny all week so I plan on getting on my bike and taking it for a few rides and of course walking my puppy everyday. I'm on vacation, so I've got 13 days off! Super nice. Has anyone done HelloFresh? I just got my second box yesterday, and we made these fish tacos. Oh man were they good. And healthy! Definitely excited to cook the next two meals. I've really been having a lot of fun cooking.
  • beshamama
    beshamama Posts: 240 Member
    @ladychr0nic new bike!! Exciting!! With my in-laws moving to our state I’m excited to have a cycling buddy...my father in law loves going on giant bike rides. Hubby does too but we never did too many because of needing someone to watch our daughters...so I foresee a lot more epic bike rides in my future. 😊
    HelloFresh has always piqued my interest but we do a CSA instead...it starts up in a month! But maybe we should look into it in the winter since our csa stops in Dec 🤔

• PatriceFitnessPal
    PatriceFitnessPal Posts: 1,322 Member
    @beshamama - You seem to have such a healthy approach to strengthening relationships with the people in your life. It sounds as though your in-laws’ move could result in a ‘win-win’ experience for everyone. I think your proactive work to set boundaries and expectations was a smart move since they have hurt you in the past. Maybe the ‘jury is still out’ but it’s possible they have learned and grown. As my husband often says: “trust but verify.” A bike ride is the perfect way to interact with your father-in-law, not too much talking and healthy for the mind and body! Would your mother-in-law be willing to watch the girls so your husband can join sometimes, too? ... I’m sure you’ll find a way to balance the mix, since your daughters also like to join in sometimes, and it’s wonderful that you can spend time together enjoying a shared hobby! I had a nice bike that cost more money than I wanted to spend. I loved that it was really lightweight so I could hang it up easily in the shed but my son used it and he felt terrible when it was stolen from outside the local recreation center even though he locked it up. It was a good lesson for him but I’m still hesitant to re-invest. I’m going to try to get over the negative emotions I’m carrying because I had multiple bad experiences with theft while trying to save money in college by commuting by bike, too. Once I finish my decluttering project, a bike is one of the things I’m trying to make space for as a reward for the overall cleansing. I’m a minimalist at heart so I’m trying to be very intentional about adding any new ‘things.’

The decluttering takes time though ... because I think it’s part of my process in adjusting to an ‘empty nest’ as my sons become independent. I want to make sure the house still feels welcoming and comfortable to them with some ‘artifacts’ from their time growing up here, while recognizing that they are evolving in their own ways that are separate from the family. They don’t really seem to hold on to items in the same ‘sentimental’ way as I do. So, it’s truly my hang up but I’m going to just accept it as part of my own transition.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Great thread! Everyone is welcome to add me as a friend if anyone wants more motivation and support💗

• drollings2019
    drollings2019 Posts: 95 Member
    I listen to motivational podcasts on my way to work and the one Monday was about positive affirmations and turning "I have to's into I get to's". I had been struggling with workouts and just making time for them. I am lazy once I get home. But listening to this really made me think about how lucky I am that I can workout. I don't have any physical ailments that prevent it, I just have a mental block when I thinking about "having" to work out. It's like a chore. So, I am working on changing that mindset. The last two mornings, I have gotten up earlier to walk a mile before I go to work. It wakes me up. I have been walking for my 2 breaks of the day, which gets me another mile between the two. Then when I get home, I immediately go for a 2 mile walk. I figure if I do it right when I get home, then I can't make an excuse as to why I don't want to do it. It has felt really good and I hope I can stay in this mind frame. Next week, I want to start incorporating some strength training in a few days a week. Part of the podcast I listed to, encouraged us to think of a motto or positive affirmation that we repeat to ourselves every day. Mine is taped to my mirror and right on the top of my desk. "I am working to create a stronger, healthier version of myself...both physically and mentally". It reminds me of why I am doing this. And it helped me turn down unhealthy food choices for lunch at work and makes me want to get up and move when I am supposed to. 😁
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    @ladychr0nic - I have never tried HelloFresh but I’ve thought a lot about trying it. Over the years, I’ve tested out many ways to juggle meal preparation, family schedules and work obligations. When my youngest son was in pre-school and my older son was at a different location for elementary school, I really enjoyed the CSA (community supported agriculture) cooperative that allowed us to pickup fresh produce once a week at the pre-school.
  • ladychr0nic
    ladychr0nic Posts: 127 Member
    @PatriceFitnessPal
    I absolutely LOVE HelloFresh so far. We just had this amazing mushroom ravioli last night, and tonight we have these yummy brie sandwiches. The meals are so easy to cook and give you exactly what you need without having to measure anything. And you can skip weeks, so you definitely don't have to get it every week. I've been only doing about once a month so far just so it works with my schedule. It's a nice feeling when the box gets here that I have 3 dinners that I don't have to worry about or buy anything for.

@drollings2019
    What's a good motivational podcast that you like?

@bhurley100
    Added you :)
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited April 2021
    @ladychr0nic - I agree that it’s worth a try and the meals and schedule you worked out sound perfect!

I consider it every time I see an introductory coupon, etc. As I mentioned above, I’ve tested out many ways to juggle meal preparation, family schedules and work obligations. When my youngest son was in pre-school and my older son was at a different location for elementary school, I really enjoyed the CSA (community supported agriculture) cooperative that allowed us to pickup fresh produce once a week at the pre-school. It was so convenient and felt good to support local growers.

Before I heard about delivery options, I used to drive to a business called Let’s Dish, located about 20 minutes from my house, to prepare meals from a pre-selected menu. I’d reserve a time - going alone, with a small group of friends, and once with my older son who was still quite young at the time - and the staff had all the ingredients set out in ‘stations’ for us to assemble into meals. We brought an empty cooler to transport the meals home and we could choose half portions to feed 4-6 people or full portions for 10-12 people. They also had ‘ready-to-go’ meals and desserts in their store freezer. That lasted awhile - and it was efficient to have everything chopped and marinated already to cut down on dinner preparation during the work week - but my son decided to eat vegetarian and the meals lacked variation over time so I stopped going.

Later, I tried a meal delivery service called Blue Apron that a colleague recommended. I really liked it at first and it had more vegetarian options, but there were some drawbacks. I felt guilty about all the packing material that came in the box with the food and tried to donate, recycle or re-use items, which consumed time. So, I saved time on dinner during the week but it seemed to balance out in lost time in the end 🤷‍♀️ ... my own unique problem, I think! It was a little more ‘former’ than some of the other products and took more time to prepare. Also, I used to travel a lot to other states for my work, and my husband let the boxes pile up a bit. Even though I only subscribed to a couple each week, it wasn’t cheap; so, I wanted to make sure we didn’t waste food (see previous posts for childhood baggage on this topic 😂) and ended up canceling it. HelloFresh seems to strike a better balance on all this, and I liked the other options we used in many ways, so I’ve thought about trying again with HelloFresh. But, now our sons are at college so I probably won’t try again until there are four of us here again for an extended period.

If I could go back in time, I’d engage my children more in the process, whether sopping, selecting the meals, or preparing dinner ‘in the moment’ to make it a more natural part of what a family does together. During the pandemic, we paired up each night to prepare dinner for one another and I loved that individual time with each of my sons.

Recently, my husband and I have mixed in takeout orders to support local business. Indian food is my favorite @ladychr0nic - and I could eat it everyday - so I have to remind myself to control my portion and save some for lunch. Getting the balance right with time, wallet and waistline can be tough ... but we do the best we can!

Best wishes with whatever works for you all and I’d love to hear more about what others have learned.

P.S. @beshamama - we also bought a Soda Stream and that worked as a nice alternative to soda when the boys were young but I don’t use it much now. I was never a big user for myself but I have a full cartridge so I think I’ll ask if someone wants it for the dorm ... or gift it as part of my decluttering project!! I’m glad you’re enjoying yours and hope I can share ours with someone who will use it more.
  • drollings2019
    @ladychr0nic mostly I listen to the Mindset Mentor with Rob Dial. I started listening for work, but most of his stuff I can apply anywhere in my life.
  • kiay131982
    kiay131982 Posts: 217 Member
    Good morning all!!

I've never tried a food subscription box...but as @PatriceFitnessPal mentioned, the packaging would really mess with our ethics as we don't buy any food wrapped in plastic. I hate meal planning...so we do it once a month and write out the whole months worth of food. Then once a week we shop. I keep my meal plans so if one month we really can't be bothered, we just use an old one. :)

I'm doing really well with keeping up with exercise daily at the moment...but I'm not doing so great at the food tracking. Its definitely holding me back in the weight loss department so I do need to find the motivation to get back into it. I usually start the day well and track breakfast...and then work gets busy and my husband planks lunch in front of me (usually a salad) but because it isn't weighed out then when dinner comes and he's apologising as he forgot to weigh the ingredients I brush it off as not mattering...when evidently it does!!! I just don't seem to be able to find that motivation to track everything again!!!
  • PatriceFitnessPal
    edited April 2021
    @drollings2019 - I’ve been meaning to log in to the Headspace app. One of the school districts I work with bought a subscription and many people like it but I haven’t tried it yet. Thanks for sharing another option. I’ll try to look into these at some point this weekend.

@kiay131982 - Meal planning was one of the most difficult aspects of family dinners when our sons lived at home. It’s a great idea to plan monthly. I tried to do that but my husband resisted because he said he can’t imagine what he’ll want to eat next week. He doesn’t like to eat too many pasta or noodle dishes in a row, for example, while I’m less particular. I just try to make a meal based on the ingredients we have on hand. Usually, I’ll search recipe sites by the items in my pantry and refrigerator (e.g., delicious asparagus dishes). Rotating the responsibility worked well. Sometimes the pair in charge of dinner would ask what we wanted so I had to remind them that was the worst part of meal preparation for me. 😉 I’d choose one option out of two, but found it hard to generate new ideas. My motto is, generally, “if someone else cooks it, I’ll like it!”

I’m focusing on the decluttering goal at the expense of not exercising but I’ve kind of resigned myself to a brief set back for longer term gain. The big purge I’m working on now took 15-20 years to build while I focused on supporting my sons’ school and hobbies without much time left in the week for other tasks. So, I’m treating it like transitioning from work to retirement - or grieving after a loss - which takes some time and adjustment. I’m reframing the extra time it’s taking as an opportunity to reflect on the meaningful childhood experiences as I donate old toys and put together albums to capture key memories or achievements. For the work piles, I’m keeping notes that I can use for a resume/CV or for writing a blog or short ‘success stories’ for a potential company website. Since I’m trying to plan my next move career-wise, this process might help me reflect on the work tasks and topics I enjoyed or disliked so I can get a better sense of direction (based on my values and professional identity, etc.).

After the major ‘cleansing’ is done, I’m hoping I can build more regular culling of items into my week by donating clothes that don’t feel great or something that I no longer use, right away. I joined a local neighborhood group called ‘Buy Nothing’ where people post items to exchange as gifts that meet another neighbor’s needs. So, I’d like to build the habit of immediately posting things to continue downsizing more naturally overtime. I’m going to work on this project for an hour now and then exercise with the personal trainer.

Tomorrow, we’re planning a family trip to the beach near my family in June. So, that will be a nice incentive for increasing my workouts for the next month or so. I couldn’t row on Wednesday because the wind gusts were too strong so I didn’t meet the ‘one row’ goal yet but I paid my boathouse dues so I can sign out a boat when ever there is no formal class scheduled so I’ll try again tomorrow morning. I hope everyone else is doing well. I’ve been going over my target but staying in the maintenance range so I’m in a bit of a ‘holding pattern’ but I’m pretty confident I’m still on track for the long haul. We’ll see ... Best wishes to all MFP Accountability buddies!
  • 5k_everyday_365
    5k_everyday_365 Posts: 12 Member
    I’d like to start back up! Any runners in here? I only run outside. No treadmill yet 😬

Im a runner too! By any chance, do you go on the MapMyRun app?
  • 5k_everyday_365
    entracy wrote: »
    @hokeapril1234 & @candacepw Me three! Let me know if you want to start a group!

I would like to join too if y'all are making a wellness/fitness group :)
  • kiay131982
    kiay131982 Posts: 217 Member
    Morning!

@PatriceFitnessPal it sounds like you are doing really well with your decluttering. It can be really hard to let go of things that evoke feelings and emotions.... so taking time to do this is sensible!

@5k_everyday_365 I run a bit too. Not masses as I also do gym and aerial hoop/silks when it's open (currently closed so far this year due to covid) but I usually find time to do a couple of 5ks a week. Last year I built up to doing a 20k for an event.... don't think longer distances are something I will strive for often!!! I like to get out, clear my head, and then get back and get on with my day! 🤣

I'm still failing miserably at tracking!! I start off everyday tracking my breakfast....but by lunch am quite often so busy it falls by the wayside and, even if I ate an incredibly healthy lunch by Brain has a 'well you blew it today' moment because I didn't track... and the rest of the day spirals. I need to fix this. And I hope to start today (again!!!! :) )
  • lrw327
    lrw327 Posts: 73 Member
    Good morning! The past few days have been hectic here so I’m just catching up on everyone’s posts.

@ladychr0nic Ive looked at HelloFresh several times. The idea of it sounds great but the other 3 in our house are such picky eaters. 😏

@kiay131982 We meal plan monthly, too! It took us a while, but we found it works best for us. We have theme nights for each day which helps us, too. It narrows our choices for a particular day. We don’t follow it 100%, but the ingredients for the week’s meals are always available. We also cook several things in batches. For example, when I make spaghetti sauce, I make enough for 4 meals and freeze 3. Then I don’t have to actually do much the next 3 times we have it. It’s a great time saver because it doesn’t really take any longer to cook more of 1 meal. My husband is semi-retired and works from home. He’s a great cook unless it’s on the grill, but he’s a big help with all the prep/cleanup which makes it easier.

@PatriceFitnessPal decluttering is time consuming and sometimes daunting, but is so rewarding! It seems like you’ve made a lot of progress in that area. I’m a “tosser” and my husband is a “keeper.” Ive done a decluttering challenge for the past 3 yrs. The 1st year was hard, but every year there is less and less to declutter. It’s a great feeling. I can’t wait to hear how you feel when yours is complete!!
  • drollings2019
    I have got to spend some time planning for the next week today. Sports have started back up in our area we are very busy. Last week I got in a pretty good routine with my walking. I want to continue that this week and add in some strength training 2-3 nights if time allows. I feel like my temptations and cravings are getting better. We went out with friends over the weekend and I ordered as healthy as I could based on the menu. I felt pretty good about that because usually I will cave and just say it is a "cheat meal" and eat a cheeseburger or something. I felt great eating my chicken and veggies, and felt even better when everyone complained about how miserable they were after eating their cheeseburgers and fries. I am also spending some time getting myself in the right mindframe for camping this year. We also bought a boat, so I am sure there will be a lot of camping and boat days this summer. Walking the campground is not a problem, but making healthy food choices might be.

@PatriceFitnessPal I have used headspace before. I really like it. I will use the guided mediations before work just to get myself in a good place. Good luck with the decluttering!
  • renaegry
    renaegry Posts: 1,256 Member
    Morning all. Been awhile Since I have checked in.
    I absolutely love Hello Fresh and Chef plate. Have lots of coupon codes if anyone needs. Same with revive superfoods smoothies. I usually get hello fresh and chef plate once a month each.

@5k_everyday_365 i wouldn’t say I’m a runner but a slow jogger. I do like to get in at least 5 km a day whether a combo or jogging/walking.
  • 5k_everyday_365
    renaegry wrote: »
    Morning all. Been awhile Since I have checked in.
    I absolutely love Hello Fresh and Chef plate. Have lots of coupon codes if anyone needs. Same with revive superfoods smoothies. I usually get hello fresh and chef plate once a month each.

@5k_everyday_365 i wouldn’t say I’m a runner but a slow jogger. I do like to get in at least 5 km a day whether a combo or jogging/walking.

I like to do a combo of jogging walking and sometimes I'll sprint if my legs will let me lol. I try my best to reach 5k three days on and one off and hoping to gain more muscle and stamina to reach longer distances. The only issue is sometimes I get too tired from working at the warehouse and I ended up not running for a months so I'm back at square one since last week 😅
  • 5k_everyday_365
    kiay131982 wrote: »
    Morning!

@PatriceFitnessPal it sounds like you are doing really well with your decluttering. It can be really hard to let go of things that evoke feelings and emotions.... so taking time to do this is sensible!

@5k_everyday_365 I run a bit too. Not masses as I also do gym and aerial hoop/silks when it's open (currently closed so far this year due to covid) but I usually find time to do a couple of 5ks a week. Last year I built up to doing a 20k for an event.... don't think longer distances are something I will strive for often!!! I like to get out, clear my head, and then get back and get on with my day! 🤣

I'm still failing miserably at tracking!! I start off everyday tracking my breakfast....but by lunch am quite often so busy it falls by the wayside and, even if I ate an incredibly healthy lunch by Brain has a 'well you blew it today' moment because I didn't track... and the rest of the day spirals. I need to fix this. And I hope to start today (again!!!! :) )

That's the spirit! By always getting back up trying again is the key to success. And 20k is amazing! The longest distance I ever done was a little over 5k but I'm hoping to gain the strength and stamina to go longer distance wise, and to get my times down slowly but surely :) I keep failing off and on but as I keep trying again it starts to get a bit easier especially after changing the enviroment (like having a checklist or a small alarm or setting my water bottle on my nightstand so I drink as soon as I wake up)