Apple watch

donz84
donz84 Posts: 3 Member
Hi, ive just re joined today.
I have linked my apple watch to my fitness pal but it seems to have only gave me 51 for exercise when ive done 10,500 steps. This doesnt seem correct does it ? Thanks

Replies

• donz84
    donz84 Posts: 3 Member
    sh8xy8azs9l1.jpeg
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Your exercise adjustment is going to vary depending on the activity level you enter on MFP. It's not an adjustment for your total steps, it's an adjustment for the difference between your MFP activity level and your steps. The higher you set your activity level, the more you have to move to "earn" adjustments.

That said, I've also seen people say that MFP doesn't work well with Apple devices.
  • jlperrotta1345
    jlperrotta1345 Posts: 3 Member
    Should an apple watch user enter exercise manually? or is that double counting?
  • twonurses1
    twonurses1 Posts: 3 Member
    I enter my cardio and strength training manually. It does track my steps but not my exercise. I would recommend entering manually
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    edited April 2021
    Your step calories will vary. Know that you moving around for your 10k daily goal is good in itself. However normal movement steps will give you the least amount of calories. During my daily step count I’ll have parking lot inclines, stairs and I’ll pick up the pace. The watch will catch it sometimes as exercise mins(higher heart rate) so you get additional steps cals however it won’t be a significant increase. That only happens when you add cardio like walking at a brisk pace, jogging/running, elliptical(steps are given) and others that the watch will track as having some step equivalent. There is no need for you to manually enter if you’ve given permission to MyFitnessPal app to use the apple health app.

Go into the health app on the phone and click on your profile. Go to Apps->MyFitnessPal and turn on what you want tracked towards the bottom are the ones most folks will want to turn on.

hljm85vqhmbc.png
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 523 Member
    Also make sure you’ve entered your stats height and weight at least. You can do that via the health app, but once you’ve given MyFitnessPal permissions mentioned above you can add your weight via it and it will update in the health app. And what this does is it will have a more exact cal count for your current state.
  • Meusmemento88
    Meusmemento88 Posts: 4 Member
    You have to use your watch app during exercises and it will automatically load to MyFitnessPal when you are done.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Apple does NOT send the correct info to MFP if you have accounts linked.

All trackers are supposed to send a Daily Calorie Burn figure (TDEE) and time stamp.
    MFP corrects itself, and you get credit for daily activity above what you told MFP you were, and any exercise.

Apple though sends a Sedentary base figure very close to MFP's sedentary activity level.
    You get no credit for increased activity or workouts.

Use the Steps info outside of workouts to inform you the best MFP Activity level to select.
    Log the workouts.
    Unlink the accounts.

Now your eating goal correctly be more when you do more - and still have a deficit for weight loss if that is your current goal.
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    I sure wouldn't trust your watch. My apple watch would count my knitting/crochet as steps lol (not to mention that I had to charge it every night). I got rid of it and bought a cheap smart watch that seems to work way better and lasts for days.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Shy_Yogi wrote: »
    I sure wouldn't trust your watch. My apple watch would count my knitting/crochet as steps lol (not to mention that I had to charge it every night). I got rid of it and bought a cheap smart watch that seems to work way better and lasts for days.

That may also depend on desired usage with it and what it's useful for to you.

I could care less about steps, meaningless to me in the scheme of things, a metric not often looked at.

So if the distance and calorie burn from those bogus steps was almost nothing (which it usually is), then my desired metric of calories would still be useful.

So it depends on what you need to trust. Like some give an outside air temp, wouldn't trust that since sitting right on my arm.
  • Stargaze80
    Stargaze80 Posts: 8 Member
    I manually enter exercise "Active Calories" into my diary and go by that. I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do, but it's been working so far for me. I'm not so much concentrating on steps as I am exercise minutes completed while doing Apple Fitness +.