WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,820 Member
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! Well, I had planned to do some yard work this weekend and to also get my growing teepee built; but I over did it playing with the kids on Wednesday and woke with a swollen knee on Thursday. I am not even sure what I did. Probably just the extra walking/running on the uneven ground (up and down the hill in the back yard). So, I worked Thursday and Friday, but didn't take the kids on any walks and tried to sit as much as possible. Yesterday, I got the shopping done and sat with ice and heat on my knee for the rest of the day. Swelling is down today, but not totally gone; so I will do paperwork and planning today and keep the heat and ice going. I have been making HORRIBLE food choices as I sit and try to stay off my leg. :s
    Barbara: My outdoor classroom ideas are: A music wall, a mud kitchen, a water table, a growing teepee (beans, tomatoes, peppers), an art area, and a construction zone. I also have a little area that I would like to make a "fairy garden", but have things set up so that the kids can make/rearrange it daily.
    Machka- Oooof! So glad you were able to get your hubby in and seen. I am glad he is fine now and hope you will have an answer to what that episode was (so that it isn't repeated). Hugs to you both!
    Hugs to all who are dealing with health issues of their own or of family members. <3
    A talent I wish I had- I wish I had photographic memory. Then learning any new talent would be a bit easier; because there are many talents that I wish I had. lol All take time and dedication; which is something I have little of, right now. Or, it is focused on priority.
    Who would I invite to dinner- Hmmmm...I was going to say, I have to think about it. But I think I would pick my dad. I never got to know either of my parents as an adult. My mom was so chatty and open about her life and childhood that I feel like I know her very well. My dad, however, was very quiet. He often came into the restaurant that I worked in after my mom passed. Pretty sure he was checking up on me, because I worked to "not feel the loss". Sometimes I had time to sit with him, most times I didn't. When he passed six months after my mom, all I could think of was the missed opportunities. So, I owe him dinner and time.

Pip You look like you are all settling in nicely to the new place and new routines! B) What is the big pile of dirt in the pic?

I better get busy with my paperwork! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,124 Member
    edited April 2021
    Barbie - I think the people I'm inviting wouldn't leave me a chance to get a word in. :p

Our limping, long dying printer seems to have given up the ghost. It's saying it doesn't recognise the cartridges. We haven't changed them since the last time we used the printer. We have fiddled to no avail.
    All the new hp ones on Amazon seem very complicated to set up. Grrrr! Plus they send off for ink all by themselves. We rarely use the printer, but occasionally it is necessary and I do use it as a photocopier sometimes. I just want a nice easy one. :sad:
    However, I did take the opportunity of DH being out of the house to get my new tower fan out of the box and set it up. Works fine and has a remote. I will have it in my upstairs bedroom for the next heatwave. I nearly killed myself struggling up and down steep stairs with our original large chrome fan. That can stay on the exercise room floor for when it's sweltering.

When we first moved in, the back windows in our bedroom stuck and jammed. They have rusted up from the salt air and wind. We got a man to estimate, then heard nothing. I complained, he came again and sent us an estimate. I accepted it. We heard nothing. So the energy went out of us and DH is reluctant to spend the money because he doesn't like open windows anyway and doesn't mind the heat. So I just decamp upstairs when it is hot. Taking the big fan with me.
    Now the gym window is stuck and only the tiny one at the top opens. Hence the need for another fan. Grrrr!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    ❤️💛💙
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did Denise Austin Yoga DVD then rode the recumbent bike. Work tomorrow so no formal exercise, but I’ll be getting steps in.

M – I think the reason they decided in person is because there are five of us. I think tomorrow I’m going to propose that 4 people play and one sit out. The number of times you’d sit out would probably be the same (if not less) than if you played for 5 weeks. Also, this way when I’m in FL, I can still play. When one of the gals is at her home in the mountains, she can still play. We could decide the week before who will sit out.
    At Real Mahjongg online you can play against their computer to make up the 4 people or else you can play with others. It’s interesting since the people are from all over. If you only have 3 in your game, then the 4th is a computer.
    You have such beautiful scenery

Allie – hope the surgery goes real well. I’ll be thinking of you tomorrow. That’s nice that your brother will take you. How will you get your car to Dan (I thought you said that you were going to let him use it, but I could be wrong). Is there a minimum order for Instacart? If you don’t reach this minimum, is there a delivery fee?

Heather – did you know that hamsters (the animal) freeze? One of ours died during the winter when we lived in the Poconos. Had to wait to bury it until the ground thawed out. So I froze it! Wrapped it up, put it in a plastic bag with a note: Do Not Open

I’m getting the urge to just munch because I’m a bit bored so I think I’ll go downstairs and work on the jigsaw puzzle some.

Oh, took up some of the river rock yesterday so the guy can get in to do the landscaping. You should hear the hassles I get from Vince. He thinks it’s a stupid waste of money. Well, we’re wasting MY money. I got a sour “I’ll do it” when I couldn’t deadbolt the storage room and asked him to. I got a “no, I’ll remove the landscape lights”. Then I got a lecture about the money, how I need to wait for an estimate and all. Hey, he knows what I can spend. He knows that’s what he has to work with. Truth be known, I know that he’s a decent guy and if it’s a bit over, he’ll just absorb the cost or wait until I have the money. I just let Vince’s comments roll off my shoulders. This really needs to be done. Last year he told me we’d just trim the bushes. Well, he never got to it and I’m not about to start trimming these large bushes. If I’m going to have to do it, it’s going to be the way I want it.

Rant over

Church yesterday.

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Pip: What a great day at the coast, you lucky woman! :bigsmile:

Tracy: I am delighted to be a retired teacher with adult kids of my own and grand kids. I don’t think I could handle the teaching situation in Alberta graciously. The current situation here in our town is finally including in-school classes. Half of the kids come to class Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday is a teacher work day. Thursday and Friday the other half of the class come for the lessons. So far, so good. I have not read about or seen any complaints so far. :star:

CSSJ09: Things are going better for our grandson. He’s going home for now and may go back to the hospital for appointments as needed. Thank you for your kind words. :heart:

Rebecca: I have to work hard to keep my meals balanced and have put on some weight while we’ve all been in lockdown. The food is healthy but I have been eating a bit too much & haven’t been getting enough exercise. :embarassed:

Michelle: I donate usable items that I no longer want to the local Senior Center Thrift Store. The proceeds all go to the Senior Center and are used to provide healthy meals to local seniors. There is a Goodwill in the next town over, but we haven’t been there in a very long time. “I would use it” is a great way to determine whether to donate. I like your idea! If it still works, we will donate it. If it is not working, it needs to go to the recycle center. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I like the wisdom of Pooh—Strong people lift others up. :heart:

Machka: I wish I could sing, too. Alone is okay. In front of anyone who likes to hear, no. I have been told by more than one person that I can’t carry a tune in a bucket. :noway:

Allie: Prayers for a successful surgery that results in relief from discomfort & pain. :heart:

We are having a bright, sunshiney morning. Our windows face north east. It is 7 am, and the angle of the sun in our windows is uncomfortable. In another fifteen minutes or so, the sun will be high enough that it doesn’t glare into our windows.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • exermom
    Talent I wish I had: wish I could remember people's names

If you want to clean a church in record time...just have me sing in the choir. I only sing when I'm by myself maybe in the car.

Michele NC
    who is off to do the puzzle
  • exermom
    About the landscaping: a while ago Vince said told me we'd have to take up all the riverrock. Now that I did it, he just said to me "why did you take up so much rock? I think that's going to be more work when he's done grrrrr...

My shoulders are certainly getting a workout having all this roll off them....lol

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Machka
    So pleased that the worst fears weren't realized, hope there's some answer soon.

Just as well we've planted very little outside except the hardy little roses and the redbud tree, as we hit the freezing mark last night again. Only a little below it, so not a hard freeze, just not quite yet time to be planting. The little seedlings that we've indoor planted are growing like mad in the meantime. The cucumbers are already two inches high, and the broccoli and mustard were the first ones out the gate and more than two inches tall. Already had to move those to six-inch pots, as it will be another week before we plant, if not two. The larger pots and time and attention will let them develop good root systems anyway. Today we'll need to move all three types of tomatoes into the larger pots. The potatoes, corn and beans will go directly into the ground once it's warmer. Corey's growing veggies and I'm working on herbs... My dehydrator should be here in a couple weeks, and Corey wants to try to make jerky as well. Should be interesting.

Regarding the quilt, am still working on the framing pieces around the center star. Each of the eight long strips must be sandwiched with batting, double-checked to make sure that I've gotten the right front and back for each one, and once that's all done will begin quilting them. If I were cooking, I'd be just past the mise en place stage now and beginning the combining of the ingredients, making sure to cook them in the right order. I realized last night that I hate cooking and love baking because I genuinely do despise the texture and taste of most main ingredients for savory dishes, so I can only cook by smell. There are very few things that are baked that aren't seriously yummy, though.

Not feeling well most of the day yesterday, but better today. Hope everyone has or had a lovely, lazy Sunday.

Later,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

I love my little dehydrator- Using it right now for another batch of the candied ginger- pineapple is next and if I can get a good deal on mango they will go in after that. May do some more apples.
    I haven't made jerky in mine- I have a little smoker that I used to use- haven't used it in almost 20 yrs it seems- need to pull it out of the shed and see if it still works-
    This summer I want to try making some sun dried tomatoes-found a recipe that looks pretty easy, using the dehydrator to dry the tomatoes then soaking them with olive oil and herbs.

Have fun with it.

Debbie
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    If you asked me 6 months ago who I would want to have dinner with it would be a different answer than I have now. None of them would be famous people. It would be my former hubby/best friend or my best friend that passed away twenty years ago at just 38 yrs old. Now, no doubt, it would be my dad.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,687 Member
    Machka - I wish I could write or play an instrument.

Barbara- I remember cutting myself on that invention too. He made some kool aid ice cubes, they didn’t freeze before he had to go home though. He’ll have to see next time he comes.

I like your idea of hiding passwords in the freezer, I have. A friend who started making special brownies to help with her pain from Fibromyalgia, her children were grown out of the house but she didn’t want them to know so she hid them in an empty box of fish and an empty bag of cauliflower as she knew neither of them would come to raid her freezer for those two things.

Fantasy Dinner - right now my fantasy dinner is just to have a big loud noisy one with my girls, their husbands and Grandchildren. It’s been way too long.

Fantasy with celebrities, I would love to have dinner with Dolly, Loretta, Reba, I like their stories.
    Of course, I would really love to have a meal with my grandparents, parents and my husbands parents. My Mom and husband’s parents are alive but I can’t see them anytime soon.

Katla- our Grandson has been doing online classes since last April. He absolutely loves it and wishes that all school was taught this way. His marks and attention to the lessons have markedly improved. He is in Grade 4 and is learning more things than in class. Friday, he was so excited when I picked him up because he has to make a presentation on anything he chooses that he has to give varying opinions on. Since he’s a 9 year old boy he chose the different styles of video games. I asked him how he has to present and he said slides with a verbal presentation. I said, do you use PowerPoint? He said, no just Google docs. I was impressed as I don’t know Google docs myself.

I agree with you, the old coffee pot should go to the recycling centre, if it doesn’t work for you, it’s not going to work for anyone that buys from the Thrift shop. It’s not fair to have someone pay for something that isn’t going to work.

I am going to go into work today, I don’t want to but by going in a few hours today it will make the next week easier to handle.

I have been trying to work on my screen time, as it had gotten to be an outrageous amount of time spent on my phone.
    This past week my average was 38 minutes per day, the week before was 5 hours and 19 minutes. The downside is I find trouble keeping up with the two threads I participate in on MFP.

I should go throw a load of laundry in, Rodger will deal with the dryer portion while I’m at work. I’m still in pain after doing too much bending or squatting but I walked more than 2000 steps yesterday for the first time since January.

Have a great day everyone.
    Tracey in Edmonton
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Afternoon ladies
    Dan got a call that they wanted him to work 3-9 tonight. So i will go pick him.off and he can drop me off. And will have the car until Tuesday depending on when i get done either tomorrow night or tuesday morning and will have Dan pick me up..
    I am.lucky to have a photographic memory,i can remember my great aunts 2 homes room by room.
    Got a load of laundry done and i still have to do the dishes
    All depends on instacart.. i love vitamin water zero and price.chopper has them on sale.for a buck a piece,so i order a bunch,then bottled water and a few other things,I had a 10.00.coupon off and delivery was $4.10 so worth it so that i dont have to truck around a big store.. but i guess the more you order the higher the delivery fee and tip.. but so much easier for me..worth it in my book..
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited April 2021
    kymarai wrote: »
    HeatherUK- I dont know if that is true in states or not. Still will get new one made hopefully sooner than later!

Remarriage in the US does not override a will. It also does not change beneficiaries. Many people have been surprised when death benefits go to the former spouse because they never changed the beneficiary after divorce/remarriage.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

• Katla49
    🌸🌺🌸🌺
  • grandmallie
    When I divorced and bought my condo,i had a will made,whatever i have is split between my 2 kids,Tom would get Alfie. Its pretty simple..
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Sunny Sunday in Georgia! :)

Carol
  • Katla49
    KJ: I especially like your idea for a bean teepee for young children. Playing inside would be fun. It would be a good place for storytelling and imaginative play. :flowerforyou:

Heather: Our printer ink ran out, and we were frustrated. DH was able to get a full set of color cartridges as well as black. It was not inexpensive. We use plain paper for most things and photo paper for an occasional photograph that we want to save and mount in a frame. :star:

Debbie: We also have a dehydrator. I use it mostly for herbs such as parsley and mint. We also dried cherry tomatoes in the past. They were amazingly sweet and disappeared quickly, like candy. I haven’t grown cherry tomatoes for a few years, but I’m thinking about it this year. :smiley:

Allie: I hope your upcoming medical procedure goes very well. :heart:

Have a great day.

Katla in NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    Thanks for all the love for my surgery tomorrow, ill have a johnny on,but will keep you all with me
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! Well, I had planned to do some yard work this weekend and to also get my growing teepee built; but I over did it playing with the kids on Wednesday and woke with a swollen knee on Thursday. I am not even sure what I did. Probably just the extra walking/running on the uneven ground (up and down the hill in the back yard). So, I worked Thursday and Friday, but didn't take the kids on any walks and tried to sit as much as possible. Yesterday, I got the shopping done and sat with ice and heat on my knee for the rest of the day. Swelling is down today, but not totally gone; so I will do paperwork and planning today and keep the heat and ice going. I have been making HORRIBLE food choices as I sit and try to stay off my leg. :s
    Barbara: My outdoor classroom ideas are: A music wall, a mud kitchen, a water table, a growing teepee (beans, tomatoes, peppers), an art area, and a construction zone. I also have a little area that I would like to make a "fairy garden", but have things set up so that the kids can make/rearrange it daily.
    Machka- Oooof! So glad you were able to get your hubby in and seen. I am glad he is fine now and hope you will have an answer to what that episode was (so that it isn't repeated). Hugs to you both!
    Hugs to all who are dealing with health issues of their own or of family members. <3
    A talent I wish I had- I wish I had photographic memory. Then learning any new talent would be a bit easier; because there are many talents that I wish I had. lol All take time and dedication; which is something I have little of, right now. Or, it is focused on priority.
    Who would I invite to dinner- Hmmmm...I was going to say, I have to think about it. But I think I would pick my dad. I never got to know either of my parents as an adult. My mom was so chatty and open about her life and childhood that I feel like I know her very well. My dad, however, was very quiet. He often came into the restaurant that I worked in after my mom passed. Pretty sure he was checking up on me, because I worked to "not feel the loss". Sometimes I had time to sit with him, most times I didn't. When he passed six months after my mom, all I could think of was the missed opportunities. So, I owe him dinner and time.

Pip You look like you are all settling in nicely to the new place and new routines! B) What is the big pile of dirt in the pic?

I better get busy with my paperwork! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)

Pile of dirt? You mean the rock at Moro bay?