WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    0pmfb8erddvo.png
  • Machka9
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    I had to say goodbye to my cat today. It does so hurt so much to lose our furry children.

So sorry!

• Machka9
    WHO WOULD YOU INVITE TO A FANTASY DINNER PARTY? (Living or dead) You don't have to actually cook it yourself. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

My family, including my grandmother who passed away not long ago.

Today is Day 1125 in "shutdown".
    It has been 1125 days since my husband's accident confined us to this little island and shutdown our plans. That's how Workers Compensation works here.

And it was roughly a year before that since we visited my family in Canada. I miss them.

As for famous people ... I don't know of any off hand that I admire enough to want to invite to a dinner party. I tend to look at everyone as just another human, going through struggles, making accomplishments, living life. Some are in the spotlight. Others are in the background.

M in Oz

• Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,060 Member
    CJ: So sorry. 😟😢 You did the right thing. Hugs.

Machka
    : I hope your DH gets his follow up appointment soon. At least he has the competency to take his blood pressure and articulate his pain. My DH's dementia has him speaking so insensibly most of the time, I don't know if he would ever clearly state that something hurts. So, I watch him like a hawk.

Heather: I hope you find the paint you want. I am the only one here who cares about home improvements, and since I also pay for everything, it's entirely my choice what gets done and when. Last week I had carpets removed and LVP floors installed in bedroom, master closet and two bathrooms. I had swatches of gray paint on the bedroom wall, and didn't care for any of them. I am a taupe girl, so ultimately decided to carry over the same Behr's Mushroom Bisque color from living room into the bedroom. Very happy with this choice. It's a calm neutral that works well with the bedspread and other decorative items already in the room. I also ordered a new bookcase and new curtains which will be here this coming week. Then, I plan to make the walls a gallery of photos of DH and me. Photos help his memory and generate conversations with the home caregiver. Our lives together in California, Hawaii, and Colorado are captured in 32+ years of photos the best of which are currently in a stack waiting for frames.

Michele: I was an early adopter of curbside grocery pick up a couple years ago when I broke my ankles and foot. Then, as it became more difficult to leave DH alone for even 20 minutes, I signed up for Instacart and Walmart delivery services. I like instacart alot because the shoppers often text from the store and show you options if first choice is not available. Because I am a subscriber, I get free delivery for any order over $35. Walmart uses store employees to pick your groceries, then contracts with an outside vendor to do the delivery.

I got Moderna shot #2 on Friday. Took Tylenol when I got home and didn't have any pain or other symptoms. Stay well, friends. Special hugs to all of you caring for loved ones battling health challenges.

Rori
    Still Flowing and Growing
    Colorado Foothills

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,725 Member
    Rori - I work in a Nursing Home, I’m in Admin. When we are having lunches three of the RN’s that are in management will talk about a resident being off or having behavioural issues, the first thing one asks the Director of Care is if a urine sample has been done. A lot of the time it’s a UTI or kidney infection that causes pain that dementia residents don’t know how to articulate.

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,811 Member
    CJ - Sorry about your furbaby. So hard to lose them.

Allie - wishing you the best tomorrow.

Rori - don't forget to take care of you. Sounds like your bedroom will be a haven for you.

Took Nessa the labradoodle to obedience training walk this morning. We were doing this before C-19 and this was our first time back. She was super excited at first but finally settled down. She does not however like sitting or lying down on too warm concrete. Also got another pasture sprayed this weekend, lots of steps.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🌜😴💛
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,042 Member
    (((CJ)))
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    CJ- so very sorry 😞 my deepest condolences.. never easy losing a furbaby..
    Well its 12:24 am and am awake and have been for 45 min. Im hoping to get back to sleep soon.and have my alarm set for 6:30 so i have tome to hop in the shower befoee my brother picks me up.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Hope it all goes well Allie. <3

Hugs for you CJ. :flowerforyou:

Woke up at 4 am. So much on my mind.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    WHO WOULD YOU INVITE TO A FANTASY DINNER PARTY? (Living or dead) You don't have to actually cook it yourself. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

It has been 1125 days since my husband's accident confined us to this little island and shutdown our plans. That's how Workers Compensation works here.

And it was roughly a year before that since we visited my family in Canada. I miss them.

As for famous people ... I don't know of any off hand that I admire enough to want to invite to a dinner party. I tend to look at everyone as just another human, going through struggles, making accomplishments, living life. Some are in the spotlight. Others are in the background.

M in Oz

I thought about this some more, and I would like to sit down over dinner or just on the back patio or wherever and talk to my mother's grandfather. He developed dementia when I was 10 or 12 years old and gradually went downhill, finally passing when I was in my early 20s. He was in his 90s.

I wish I could have talked to him more because from the little bits and pieces I've got from other family members, he lived an interesting life. Born in the UK (Liverpool area, I think). Shipped to Canada as part of the Home Children. Got into a decent home where he learned farming and was allowed to go to school to about Grade 3 but most importantly, he learned to read. Became a cowboy in the Canadian prairies. Was a mountain climber back in the days when it was ropes and ladders. Became a Christian and a pastor and that's about when he met my grandmother and married her (he was 40, she was 20). He was a very intelligent man who read a lot and knew a lot about nature.

I would love to hear his stories, as I'm sure he must have had many.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited April 2021
    My husband has an appointment next Tuesday and I have him taking his BP every few hours. But he is feeling all right, I think.

This is how I'm feeling today ...

8xuerib0rtux.png

M in Oz
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    I'm sorry, CJ.

Machka -- I hope your husband gets answers and has a quiet few days.

Rori -- Thinking about you and all you are carrying.

Rebecca -- I know how traumatic those dreams about our children can be.

Barbie -- Much respect to you.

Allie -- I hope your procedure goes well.

Welcome to the new ladies. I'm sure I've missed commenting about other things that I've been touched by.

Really beat tonight.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Machka9

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

M in Oz

I thought about this some more, and I would like to sit down over dinner or just on the back patio or wherever and talk to my mother's grandfather. He developed dementia when I was 10 or 12 years old and gradually went downhill, finally passing when I was in my early 20s. He was in his 90s.

I wish I could have talked to him more because from the little bits and pieces I've got from other family members, he lived an interesting life. Born in the UK (Liverpool area, I think). Shipped to Canada as part of the Home Children. Got into a decent home where he learned farming and was allowed to go to school to about Grade 3 but most importantly, he learned to read. Became a cowboy in the Canadian prairies. Was a mountain climber back in the days when it was ropes and ladders. Became a Christian and a pastor and that's about when he met my grandmother and married her (he was 40, she was 20). He was a very intelligent man who read a lot and knew a lot about nature.

I would love to hear his stories, as I'm sure he must have had many.

Machka in Oz

Sorry, that should have been my grandfather on my mother's side. :)

I wouldn't mind talking to my grandfather on my father's side too, but I knew my grandfather on my mother's side a little bit better.

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    Woke up twice dreaming of work-ugh! If you can't fight it, just get it done.....Time to get to paperwork.
    HUGS! We all need them!
    <3
    Kylia doing paperwork at 3 AM in Ohio where it is really quiet
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,677 Member
    Dont you worry ladies,i tossed and turned all night and its 3:45 and i might as well just stay up..cant eat ot drink anything. Except a little water for my morning meds..
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,354 Member
    edited April 2021
    Allie - Woke up thinking about you. Still thinking of you. Hope things work out well.

CJ - Still with you; we all are.

Kylia - Peace for your Monday.

Rori -
    So glad to see you changing what you can in ways that make you happy. I also find gray depressing in large amounts - my bathroom is bright white with gray accents, and my kitchen has deep red and gray accents as well. On a wall, it becomes too much for me.

@Kimbolist - Stay awhile, let us know a little about you. Welcome!

I guess quite a few of us are up early this Monday morning... I was up at 3 a.m. Not the galloping never-getovers, I can always take a nap later...

:smile:

I looked down at Egg yesterday, who was stretching lazily in a sunbeam on the kitchen floor, and said, "Man, I wish I had my cat's life," and then said "Oh I forgot, I do." Heard Corey laughing from the other room. Such a good guy. I did refrain from laying on the kitchen floor, but crawled up in the bed in the early afternoon and read and took a nap. Nice Sunday.

While I was napping, Corey planted the hops rhizomes - since they store in the freezer, it didn't seem that putting them into the ground just before a freeze would be too much of a problem. We decided on two very different places - five along the front fence and then put up a trellis frame for another five just downhill of his orchard. Should be interesting. If this soil and environment works for them (there are varying opinions as to whether they will) this is a possible cash crop to sell to local brewers. This original planting is to dry, vacuum bag and then freeze some for Corey's own beermaking, but if they make, there should be scads more than he can use. We'll see what happens.

Not big on any ambitions these days, but I would like to finish the Texas star quilt this week.

Did finally figure out something I've been tinkering with for years. Last night, I finally made fried rice that I like. The key is Jasmine rice, which is slightly sticky when first cooked, extremely sticky when cold. It has that lovely, deep, nutty scent and texture that is just right for fried rice. One of the reasons I will seldom eat takeout fried rice is because I truly hate biting into onions, and most places use them. I do love the flavor they give though... so I pureed garlic, onion and fresh ginger in vegetable oil, started with that, heated until I could smell the three. Added a little more oil, leftover chicken, scrambled egg shreds, frozen peas, four cups of cold sticky rice and some soy sauce. Seriously less than ten minutes to put together. Made eight or ten servings, which is way too much, but Corey will get it in his lunch a couple days this week, as he liked it too.

:smile:

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Machka9
    Chocolate for me! :)

8z99k0qr10q6.png
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,600 Member
    PRALINES AND CREAM