Women 200lb+, Let's Amaze Ourselves This April!!!

Replies

• trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    @MuttiNM your story is truly inspiring
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,268 Member
    I did well this week in that I exercised and got sun everyday. Yesterday we only had a short walk at twilight though so we need to do some gardening or take a walk this weekend. We have had gorgeous weather. However I ate more calories this week. It was at or under my goal net calories but higher than what I usually eat to lose so I gained. I even made margarita's on Monday. Water intake was improved from the week before but not perfect. If I counted my coffee each morning I usually get 8 glasses but I don't count them. So I need to keep up the exercise and tweek the calories now.

The greatest accomplishment for the week is getting an appointment for my youngest to be vaccinated. Washington State opened eligibility for all those over 16 for vaccinated. My youngest wasn't finding any appointment so Dad took over and got one but it is 2 counties south of us so I will take time off Monday to make sure they get it. They start a Computer boot camp next month so we wanted the vaccinations done by then. If Pfizer it will be but not if it is Moderna. The cases are rising and 3 counties were taken back a phase in stay home stay safe mandate. Our County just narrowly escaped going back but the cases went up even more yesterday in the State. Until our youngest is vaccinated we aren't doing anything different from Phase 1 anyway. My mother had to have her wound dressed every other day but my brother is back and my sister helps too so not too onerous. It should be healed by next week. I will try to read some posts later. I think I missed last weekend after taking my Mom to the ER the week before. I missed some logging days as well but am back logging this week.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    @MuttiNM, thank you for sharing your story, that's awesome. I believe you can stay on track for the rest of the month - bummer about your 2-year streak, though!

@KeriA I think I missed your original post about your mom (if you shared it in this group at all), I gather she was injured somehow? I wish her a speedy recovery.

Hubs and I have planned a short trip away from home for next month when we're fully vaccinated, so I think I'm just going to plan on switching to maintenance for those two weeks and see how that goes for me. I'll still be logging, I'll just up my calories a bit. I'm a little ahead of "schedule" as it were - I am trying very hard to hold in my head both the idea that this will take as long as it will take, it's not a race, and if I don't make my "deadline" it's OK; as well as the idea that I do actually have to continue to put in the work now and not leave healthy choices and meal planning and all of it to Future Me. Both of those things can be true.
  • hap2go wrote: »
    I'm having some real issues with my hip flexibility. The yoga stuff recommended by (skinny) friends does a number on my knees. Anyone have a suggestion for ways to improve hip flexibility that doesnt require being on your knees to do side donkeys?!!

The poses that I do are a twist while lying down, Happy Baby, Half-Pigeon pose, and Warrior, as far as hips go. My issues are more lumbar and a lot of my focus is on core strength and lumbar loosening. (I have lordosis with a little lumbar scoliosis going on, and a short leg.)

• trinati2001
    I’ve seen a couple of people mention TDEE. What is that?
  • goal06082021

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure, basically the number of calories you burn in the course of a day. MFP uses a different method to calculate your calorie budget, called NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). NEAT does not include purposeful exercise (hence the "non-exercise" part). When you indicate your activity level in the guided setup on MFP, you're basing that on how active you are OUTSIDE of the times you're deliberately exercising, and you're meant to log your purposeful exercise to "earn" extra calories to eat that day. TDEE does include purposeful exercise in determining your activity level.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    @merope2 I am so sorry for your loss. I had a similar situation with my senior who passed in March. Sending you a virtual hug (((HUG)))

@girlinkaz It sounds like you have a great plan. I hope you enjoy your trip!

@MuttiNM I really loved reading your post. Keep up the fantastic job. You are doing amazing!!!

• trinati2001

TDEE stands for Total Daily Energy Expenditure, basically the number of calories you burn in the course of a day. MFP uses a different method to calculate your calorie budget, called NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis). NEAT does not include purposeful exercise (hence the "non-exercise" part). When you indicate your activity level in the guided setup on MFP, you're basing that on how active you are OUTSIDE of the times you're deliberately exercising, and you're meant to log your purposeful exercise to "earn" extra calories to eat that day. TDEE does include purposeful exercise in determining your activity level.

Very interesting. I googled TDEE and found a calculator. If I put sedentary it gives me the same calories that I get from MFP (IF I manually subtract the calorie deficit I want to lose at my current rate). Maybe I should be eating back more if my exercise calories. I don't do a lot of exercising and I like those calories as a kind of buffer Incase I'm not perfect in my tracking. I don't use the scale as much as I should
  • speyerj
    speyerj Posts: 1,369 Member
    You don't want to eat below your BMR - at that point, your body isn't so much "dipping into its savings" to pay the day's "energy bill," it's more like "selling off possessions to pay the mob," where "the mob" is "keeping your heart beating and lungs breathing.".

You certainly have a way with words @goal060821. I love the way you explained all of that.
  • goal06082021
    @speyerj thank you! LOL, I try.