For the love of Produce...

Replies

• ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,817 Member
    pll8cka7yb9r.jpeg

d5oke1vst0z7.jpeg

09y5zqomomt2.jpeg

On today’s episode of Clearance Produce Section Adventures:

I got 4 limes and also these little beat up papayas. The flesh itself was still firm so I took a $1 gamble and it paid off. Now I have enough frozen papaya chunks for a couple smoothies. I have no idea what it is about frozen papaya but it has this magical ability to give your smoothie the texture of sorbet. Absolutely the best.

I love the clearance bins in the produce section! Best case scenario is a find like yours. Worst case scenario is a huge pot of soup that cost about $2 to put together. Either way its a win :)
  • o0Firekeeper0o
    o0Firekeeper0o Posts: 416 Member

I love the clearance bins in the produce section! Best case scenario is a find like yours. Worst case scenario is a huge pot of soup that cost about $2 to put together. Either way its a win :)

Sometimes the clearance bin at my store is a fail, like, no that’s turning to liquid it’s gone so bad, just toss it lol. But many times it’s just things that are bruised or have easily removable bad spots! I wish more stores did it here. This store is literally the only one I’ve seen so far :(

• girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Used some of that nice produce box to make a mixed-greens salad, with avocado-cottage cheese dressing and some pumpkin seeds on top; plus a veggie stew with lentils, onion, purple kale, jar tomatoes, roasted sweet potato chunks, corn (yeah, frozen, so shoot me 😆). Added some home-grated parmesan to the latter after the photo. 77z6c3vzcisg.jpg

mfp should have guidelines against posting something that looks this good without a recipe... :)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    Used some of that nice produce box to make a mixed-greens salad, with avocado-cottage cheese dressing and some pumpkin seeds on top; plus a veggie stew with lentils, onion, purple kale, jar tomatoes, roasted sweet potato chunks, corn (yeah, frozen, so shoot me 😆). Added some home-grated parmesan to the latter after the photo. 77z6c3vzcisg.jpg

mfp should have guidelines against posting something that looks this good without a recipe... :)

Seconded! @AnnPT77 may I have that dressing recipe please? 😋
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member

Aw, you two are sweet!

I hate to break it to you both, but I don't recipe, I Just Cook. Whatever it was, it was just simple, nothing fancy. I figure if I put enough nice veggies in a soup or stew, I don't have to be fancy, especially not just for me. I think both of these were pretty much what you see is what you get.

What I logged for the dressing was just the cottage cheese (couple tablespoons? around 28-29g), a 2oz mini-tub of avocado mash from Costco (I keep a box of these in the freezer pretty much always), and skim milk to thin to dressing consistency (31g). I'm betting there was fresh-ground black pepper not logged, and probably not much else since there were onions in the salad, I think, and it was a nice mix of greens with varied flavors (plain, bitter, a little spicy, etc.), plus the pumpkin seeds (lightly salted ones, BTW).

Sorry!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member

Aw, you two are sweet!

I hate to break it to you both, but I don't recipe, I Just Cook. Whatever it was, it was just simple, nothing fancy. I figure if I put enough nice veggies in a soup or stew, I don't have to be fancy, especially not just for me. I think both of these were pretty much what you see is what you get.

What I logged for the dressing was just the cottage cheese (couple tablespoons? around 28-29g), a 2oz mini-tub of avocado mash from Costco (I keep a box of these in the freezer pretty much always), and skim milk to thin to dressing consistency (31g). I'm betting there was fresh-ground black pepper not logged, and probably not much else since there were onions in the salad, I think, and it was a nice mix of greens with varied flavors (plain, bitter, a little spicy, etc.), plus the pumpkin seeds (lightly salted ones, BTW).

Sorry!

Haha, love it! My favorite way of cooking, winging it, yeap!
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    In the spirit of use what you have, I have a batch of my spinach breakfast muffins in the oven. Except that I didn't have spinach so I did a lot of cutting and made them with bok choy, which I expect will work just fine 🙂 The bok choy's still bigger than my head though! 😅
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    OMG--- I JUST finished eating and posting my foods when I saw this post and the descriptions/pics made me so 'mouth/eye hungry' that I think I could eat again if these were on the table! So yummy-looking and sounding! My dinner was roasted kale with sweet potato, sprinkled with the green tops of red onions and garlic. A 3oz piece of wild sockeye salmon was added the last 15-20 min of roasting. I rubbed a spoon of oyster sauce on the fish before adding to the pan. The sauce ran into the kale and was super delicious! Eating veg makes the plates really pretty with all of the colors. We LOVE veg at our house! My 9yr old grandson eats brussels sprouts with me. His mom still doesn't, but she eats all of the rest of the veg we cook. I have never had tindora, malanga, or mukhiyah (?), but will look for these. I want to grow Malabar spinach (perennial green, not really a spinach). We did a LOT of foraging last year ('eat your yard' is what grand calls it!), so I would intro friends to chickweed, purslane, violets, dandelions, and poke salat:-). I add the first four to various lettuces and the poke I braise with bacon and onion, topped with soft poached egg. Closest thing this tastes like is fresh asparagus with spinach. There are a few things this year that I haven't tried yet-dock, thistle, and narrow-leafed plantain (not the 'banana' one.)Thanks everyone for sharing some of your meals!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    g2renew wrote: »
    OMG--- I JUST finished eating and posting my foods when I saw this post and the descriptions/pics made me so 'mouth/eye hungry' that I think I could eat again if these were on the table! So yummy-looking and sounding! My dinner was roasted kale with sweet potato, sprinkled with the green tops of red onions and garlic. A 3oz piece of wild sockeye salmon was added the last 15-20 min of roasting. I rubbed a spoon of oyster sauce on the fish before adding to the pan. The sauce ran into the kale and was super delicious! Eating veg makes the plates really pretty with all of the colors. We LOVE veg at our house! My 9yr old grandson eats brussels sprouts with me. His mom still doesn't, but she eats all of the rest of the veg we cook. I have never had tindora, malanga, or mukhiyah (?), but will look for these. I want to grow Malabar spinach (perennial green, not really a spinach). We did a LOT of foraging last year ('eat your yard' is what grand calls it!), so I would intro friends to chickweed, purslane, violets, dandelions, and poke salat:-). I add the first four to various lettuces and the poke I braise with bacon and onion, topped with soft poached egg. Closest thing this tastes like is fresh asparagus with spinach. There are a few things this year that I haven't tried yet-dock, thistle, and narrow-leafed plantain (not the 'banana' one.)Thanks everyone for sharing some of your meals!

Well, since you've got interesting greens to show, get a smartphone with a good camera lens in it and start taking pics. Then post them--both raw and cooked.