Weight Loss Help

I have struggled with weight for years and after some really restrictive diets that made me miserable I gave up. In the beginning of the year I finally felt like I could just try to change my eating habits (cut way back on processed foods, sugars, junk) and eat more fruits and veggies and fiber rich carbs. I felt better and I didn't do it to lose weight. I did lose weight and once I realized I was I started counting calories in hopes to keep it going. I lost 4 more pounds since tracking and now it has stopped. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I keep iny calorie goals, often under them.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    How long has it been since you've lost weight?
  • FaithHope76
    FaithHope76 Posts: 53 Member
    It's only been a couple of weeks but I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It's only been a couple of weeks but I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong.

With just a couple of weeks, it's too early to tell if you're doing anything wrong. You COULD be, I can't see your diary. But there's no reason to assume that you are. Some common things that might impact your progress: choosing database entries that are off (either they're someone else's recipes or they're products that have incorrect information), failing to log cheat meals/days or certain things like condiments or beverages, or eyeballing portion sizes or using measuring cups/spoons. Sometimes people also choose an initial calorie goal that is too high or overestimate their activity level (or the calorie burn from their exercise).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member

With just a couple of weeks, it's too early to tell if you're doing anything wrong. You COULD be, I can't see your diary. But there's no reason to assume that you are. Some common things that might impact your progress: choosing database entries that are off (either they're someone else's recipes or they're products that have incorrect information), failing to log cheat meals/days or certain things like condiments or beverages, or eyeballing portion sizes or using measuring cups/spoons. Sometimes people also choose an initial calorie goal that is too high or overestimate their activity level (or the calorie burn from their exercise).

Also, you (OP) look young enough to be having monthly hormonal cycles. Those can add several pounds of water retention at some point(s) during the month, and it *may* not be consistent every single month (let alone comparing across years), though many women do notice reliable patterns. Many, many things can temporarily increase water retention (new exercise, having a head cold or other minor injury/illness, eating more salt or carbs than usual even if a sensible amount, and much, much more). Any increased water retention will temporarily hide ongoing fat loss, on the bodyweight scale. Bodies are weird.

If you were losing fine, before the last couple of weeks, wait it out at least until you can compare body weights at the same relative point(s) in two or more different menstrual cycles. While waiting, you might consider reading this, as it can be calming in these situations:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations