Low calorie goal and constantly hungry!

I have a calorie goal of 1,450 (which seems low to me?) and I find I am constantly hungry. For example today I have had porridge with honey and blueberries for a late breakfast, a couple of hours later I was very hungry for lunch so I’ve had two pieces of wholemeal toast and two scrambled eggs and my stomach is still rumbling. I hardly used to each much at all and the last few weeks nothing seems to be satisfying me. Am I eating the wrong foods? I would have thought that would be a healthy diet so far today but I just want to binge on snacks now when I’m left hungry!
I have allergies to a lot of raw veg/fruits so I’m limited as to snacks I can eat.
I’m 5’2 and weight 112lbs and just want to maintain my weight, I used to use MFP to make sure I was getting enough calories and nutrients, not to really lose weight.
Thank you

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm close to your stats and I maintain on 1,460 assuming I'm sedentary. But I actually eat more than that due to my activity, so make sure you're properly accounting for that.

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    That calorie amount seems very low to me as well.

I also note that you are eating a lot of carbs, so you may need some more fat in your eating plan.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    You haven't mentioned your activity level or exercise which will have an impact on your calorie allowance.
    Did you realise that the 1450 goal is only intended for a day you do no exercise?

If you prefer a same every day goal put your stats in here for a different range of estimates -
    https://www.sailrabbit.com/bmr/
  • janejellyroll
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

I also note that you are eating a lot of carbs, so you may need some more fat in your eating plan.

Yes, I've found that a mostly carbohydrate breakfast doesn't work well for me. A breakfast of oatmeal, honey, and blueberries would have me wanting to gnaw my arm off before lunch. OP, it may be worth experimenting with others types of breakfasts to see if that makes a difference because I've found it makes a huge difference.
  • charlotte_120
    charlotte_120 Posts: 3 Member

Yes, I've found that a mostly carbohydrate breakfast doesn't work well for me. A breakfast of oatmeal, honey, and blueberries would have me wanting to gnaw my arm off before lunch. OP, it may be worth experimenting with others types of breakfasts to see if that makes a difference because I've found it makes a huge difference.

Thank you!

Can I ask what breakfasts you’d suggest, that works well for you? Many of the breakfasts I eat are high in carbs so maybe that is the problem!
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    You could try Greek yogurt with some granola, banana and blue berries. That is my go to for breakfast and it keeps me satisfied until lunch.

Additionally do you eat any meat? Might want to add some more protein to your diet. Beans and vegs are also great satisfying carbs.
  • charlotte_120
    charlotte_120 Posts: 3 Member
    You could try Greek yogurt with some granola, banana and blue berries. That is my go to for breakfast and it keeps me satisfied until lunch.

Additionally do you eat any meat? Might want to add some more protein to your diet. Beans and vegs are also great satisfying carbs.

I’m trying to cut out meat and only having fish a couple of times a week, so I’m trying to adapt to that by fitting more protein in without meat, which is harder than I expected!

• ExpressoLove11
    ExpressoLove11 Posts: 337 Member
    I'm similar in stats to you and 1420 is my maintenance number on a sedentary day so seems legit - as others have said I'd think more about your macros and if you're getting enough protein. It's ok to eat your exercise calories back, especially if you are feeling hungry.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,036 Member

I’m trying to cut out meat and only having fish a couple of times a week, so I’m trying to adapt to that by fitting more protein in without meat, which is harder than I expected!

You might find some inspiration here:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10247171/carbs-and-fats-are-cheap-heres-a-guide-to-getting-your-proteins-worth-fiber-also#latest
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member

Okay makes more sense now. Well you definitely want to make sure you are still getting enough protein in. Maybe try to add in a plant based protein shake.

Sorry I do not have much info as I am very big on eating meat, but I wish you the best of luck! :)
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I have set 1450 as my ceiling on MFP, but I really do start to gain back slowly if I go above 1400 for several days in a row, so I mostly remain just under 1400. I am 5' tall and weigh 95 right now but am aiming at staying in the 98-101 range. And I do NOT eat back any of my exercise calories, just for another buffer. I still eat 6 meals a day, just like during the weight reduction phase - three main meals that are in the 300 calorie range and then three snacks in the 100-200 calorie range. Sometimes I'll skip a snack if a meal turns out to be more; I do prelog the day every morning to stay on top of things. As a vegetarian, I was told that a goal of 80 g of protein is sufficient and 100 isn't often achievable by me, but I do supplement with protein powder (stirred into oatmeal or cottage cheese or yogurt throughout the day), which of course I log as well (55 calories). So it doesn't sound too low to me!
  • janejellyroll

Thank you!

Can I ask what breakfasts you’d suggest, that works well for you? Many of the breakfasts I eat are high in carbs so maybe that is the problem!

I typically eat leftovers from previous days as breakfast, but some specific breakfasts I'll make are avocado toast, tofu scramble with vegetables, a protein shake, or beans and greens. As long as I'm balancing the carbohydrates with fat and protein, it works well for me. I do find that sweet breakfasts tend to make me hungrier throughout the day, so I'll usually avoid them. If I'm craving something like pancakes, I'll just have them for dinner (where they don't seem to cause any problems for me).
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I do have pancakes occasionally, but the type I make myself, which have a large amount of fiber and protein powder in them. And I'll put plain Greek yogurt or unsweetened applesauce on top rather than a typical pancake syrup. I've even put a poached egg on top, as my Daddy used to serve during my childhood!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I'm maintaining on ~1450 calories a day, but in general, I tend towards the "volume eating" model-- where I average 40-50 g of fiber per day, mostly through raw or cooked produce. It keeps me feeling full without going overboard on calories.

And I've learned that carbs for breakfast don't work for me at all. I've GOT to have some serious fiber and protein-- which I usually satisfy with savory curry oatmeal and 300-400 grams of mixed veggies (e.g., 100 g each mushroom, onion, spinach, eggplant). That big-ole bowl of goodness will hold me just fine til lunchtime, and I often eat something very similar for dinner.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I have a calorie goal of 1,450 (which seems low to me?) and I find I am constantly hungry. For example today I have had porridge with honey and blueberries for a late breakfast, a couple of hours later I was very hungry for lunch so I’ve had two pieces of wholemeal toast and two scrambled eggs and my stomach is still rumbling. I hardly used to each much at all and the last few weeks nothing seems to be satisfying me. Am I eating the wrong foods? I would have thought that would be a healthy diet so far today but I just want to binge on snacks now when I’m left hungry!
    I have allergies to a lot of raw veg/fruits so I’m limited as to snacks I can eat.
    I’m 5’2 and weight 112lbs and just want to maintain my weight, I used to use MFP to make sure I was getting enough calories and nutrients, not to really lose weight.
    Thank you

Were you gaining weight before you hopped back on MFP to maintain? If not, then I assume what you were doing before was working restarting MFP. And you know that old saying...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Personally, I still struggle with feeling hungry and knowing how many calories left in the day. I also notice I tend to be hungrier in the morning and maybe early afternoon, which I believe our bodies are supposed to feel. Psychologically, though, it's harder for me to eat most of my calories early on, as I'm still used to having a normal-size dinner. I also need a good amount of protein to feel full longer. High fiber may do it, but it usually has to be combined with protein. Having some fat helps, too.

• MaggieGirl135
    MaggieGirl135 Posts: 975 Member
    I’ve recently switched to having 3 ounces of grilled chicken breast for breakfast, but prior to that I had two eggs, typically scrambled. If I had some leftover roasted vegetables from the previous day’s main meal, I would have that under one fried egg. I am unsure if you eat eggs or if vegetables will work for you, if they are roasted. Other than some spray oil, I did not use fats to cook my eggs.
  • I would be hungry if all I ate was two pieces of toast and two eggs too! Stir fry two cups of veggies and add it to your eggs and you should feel better. Add more protein to your breakfast.. I guess put a scoop of protein powder in your porridge/oatmeal.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 865 Member
    You need to account for your activity level....you might just not be eating enough. I'm only an inch taller than you and about 5lbs heavier and my maintenance even if I set myself to sedentary is like 1600 ish.

If I ate 1450 I'd def be hungry on most days (forget it if I worked out) and I'd probably slowly lose weight.

As far as something to keep you fuller longer --- if you like oatmeal for breakfast that's fine - maybe try a less processed kind (instead of 'quick cook oats'...use 'steel-cut' instead...they take longer to cook and the texture is different but I'm assuming it takes your body a bit more time to digest it). Also, I've used this trick --- bulk up your oatmeal with some quinoa. It's a great texture and takes about the same time to cook as steel cut oats and it adds more protein too. Add in some Greek yogurt or protein powder, etc....
  • jeri30
    jeri30 Posts: 46 Member
    Carbs tend to digest faster, which leads to you being hungrier faster unless they've a lot of fiber. You need to up your intake of fat and protein at your meals. It's those that keep you feeling full longer and more satisfied.

If you're switching to a more plant based diet, I suggest looking at Darebee's Plant Based Cookbook they just released and their meal plans in general:

Meal plans: https://darebee.com/mealplans.html

Plant Based Cookbook:
    https://darebee.com/cookbook1

They provide all their info for free so if you like it and can afford it, drop a few bucks on them to help keep the site up and running.

Hope this helps.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    edited May 2021
    You might get some ideas from this site: www.reddit.com/r/Volumeeating/

Personally, if I balance my macros...protein (30-35%) carbs (45%) and rest in fats (20-25%) is quite satiating for me. Your breakfast wouldn't do it for me either. No protein or fat to keep me going.