Dairy Queen Blizzard.

Just wanted to get it out.... I am craving....craving.... an Oreo Dairy Queen Blizzard. Will I ever be able to eat one again?

Replies

• goldyray1
    goldyray1 Posts: 64 Member
    They are all so good!!!!! Usually I find that if I stay away from all sweets for about a month, I tend to quit craving them so much. I have a week to go, maybe I can hold on that long. I really want to get this weight off by summer. I have a couple of months to go. I won't make my goal, but I sure would like to knock several pounds off by then. You are right, the Jr. Blizzards have workable calories in those.
  • AlannaWulf194
    AlannaWulf194 Posts: 24 Member
    You can eat whatever you want to, just fit it in your calories.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    I opt for a mini blizzard once every couple of months and don't feel a bit guilty about it - a nice reward...and I make sure to take a couple extra walks around the block
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Why would you think you're never allowed to have one again? The only things stopping you would be you, and an overrestrictive mindset. Part of learning how to maintain a healthy weight (once you get to your goal) is understanding how to balance treats and your core good nutrition. If it fits in your calories (assuming your calorie goal isn't unnecessarily too low), make it work!
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    I have them sometimes when I'm craving one.

Since they're pretty high calorie, the "sometimes" of that treat is one every couple months, that's all.
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 871 Member
    1. If you want something, eat it.
    2. If you want something - and it doesn't fit into your calorie goal for the day - eat it anyway bc that's not going to ruin anything.
    3. Pre-build in stuff like this to your daily diary. Like...you're craving one right now and maybe you've already planned what you're eating for the day and it doesn't fit, and it'll bother you if you go over ---- log it in tomorrow's diary so you start out the day knowing that's already gonna get in your belly. =D

I'm not a fan of restricting stuff or feeling guilty.
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Anabolic blizzards might help check it out on youtube 🍦
    Lord Jesus bless you and yours 💟
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Self denial and self sacrifice is part of the problem, not part of the solution.
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Self denial and self sacrifice is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I entirely agree with this.

I actually think it's much harder to be moderate. It can be easy to go hard for a time, or to be all-out self-indulgent, but practicing moderation for the long haul is a learned balancing act. I get what you're saying in that it's unnecessary to live on bread and water (or whatever the contemporary version of that would be since carbs get such a bad rep these days), but for those of us who are used to indulging all or most of our food whims, there is a bit of self-denial and self-sacrifice in saying "only a little bit of this," or, "this is a sometimes treat, not every day." Learning to sacrifice those little pleasures, some of the time, for the better goal of overall health and normal weight, I think is really key to the whole process.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,257 Member
    Oh gosh! I haven't thought about DQ blizzards in years! Now I want one... Two months after I started on mfp years ago, my middle daughter was working at a delicious local fast food place. Sometimes I would rush to pick her up from work (from my work which was at the opposite side of the county) and to thank me, she'd have a milkshake made with these special, local, fresh strawberries for me. Oh mercy. They were incredible. I finally had to tell her that they were a "sometimes" treat that I could not fit into my calorie budget even 1x/week. There's something about ice cream with treats all whirred in a blender that is just so good!
  • Skyler103
    Skyler103 Posts: 121 Member
    The Kroger brand ice cream "artisan vanilla bean" tastes just like dairy Queen soft serve. Use that and bang up some Oreos or whatever mix in you like. Tastes just like a blizzard for fewer calories!
  • wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    edited May 2021
    Sure. I went out and had a resee's one (jr - the small even is too much volume for me these days) a couple of weeks ago. I'd been craving it for a while. So, I logged it in and the start of my day, took an extra walk to 'earn' a few more calories, and ate around it until evening when I went out and got it.

For me, because I am big on minimizing my suffering, it DID mean I ate maintenance that day, but that's fine by me sometimes. Especially when I've wanted a thing a lot for several days/weeks (which was so the case here).

No problem, and craving killed.

Alternative to me not killing the craving? I eat other stuff to try to shake the craving (mostly low cal stuff like fruit or whatever, but it adds up), I continue to crave it until I cave, and now I've eaten things I didn't really want and still end up eating the thing that is stuck in my head. End result? More calories than just eating what I wanted to start with.