low cal restriction snacks ??

miinarosee
miinarosee Posts: 1 Member
i’m VERY low cal restricting (i break down if i have more than 200-300 in a whole day) but my biggest issue is boredom/impulsive eating. the hunger isn’t even what gets me if anything it’s encouraging but i have insomnia and i literally don’t fall asleep until 8am most nights. and that’s when i eat the most :( i just sit and watch tv and mindlessly eat. what are some very low calorie foods i can eat a lot of ? i have a lot of baby puffs (25 cal for 60!) but i’m looking for more options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I hope you mean that your snack allotment is 200-300 calories. Because your daily calories should total at least 1200.

Sitting, watching TV, and eating mindlessly is a habit you'll eventually want to break if you hope to maintain weight loss. I get a large glass of ice water and something to distract me. Adult coloring book, solitaire, crochet, anything.

Very low calorie snacks (= minimal nutritional value). Of course your options will get boring. Celery, lettuce, broth, sugar free jello. I choose to manage portions for snacks I actually enjoy.
  • MehganElizabeth
    MehganElizabeth Posts: 1 Member
    I personally like smartfood popcorn!!
  • sarahan4
    sarahan4 Posts: 8 Member
    I eat smartfood popcorn also as a snack if I am really hungry! But for my lunches at work I always have a tuna fish sandwich on Sara lee 45 calorie bread with light mayo and a side of 1 cup strawberries and 1/2 cup blueberries and that keeps me pretty full!
  • penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    My first thought was raw veggies - low calorie but very nutritious and filling. I often like to eat them with dip, but you can make some really nice and flavorful dip using Greek yogurt and spices without too many calories.

Fruit is higher calorie than veggies but still low overall for the volume of food you're eating in many cases.

I'll second/third popcorn as a more typical "snack food" option. Last week I think I had popcorn twice as a meal. ;)
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Do you consider beverages a snack?

I can sometimes be very satisfied with a low calorie sweetish soda like diet root beer or diet cream soda, or an nice warm herbal decaf tea
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    When I was 15, I'd skip breakfast and lunch, and I'd eat a bit of dinner so my parents wouldn't know anything was wrong. I ate maybe 500 calories a day. I got very thin, except my stomach was still poochy, so I figured I had to starve myself more. My hair got thinner. I was so tired all the time, so lethargic, but I'd still be up at all hours of the night thinking of all the ways I was failing at life. There was that one night where I went out with friends and ate a normal dinner, then went home, tallied up the calories, and cried half the night. Does this sound like you? Does this sound like a life you actually want to be living? Because it really frikkin sucked for me. Anorexia is not the answer to whatever you're going through.

Please talk to a doctor. Please get a therapist. Please start treating your body with kindness.
  • FootLover99
    FootLover99 Posts: 4 Member
    200-300 IN A WHOLE DAY??? Girl that’s gonna cause irreversible damage to your body. You can’t survive off of that little calories. Please see a professional, you’re most likely suffering from anorexia
  • eduardvdw
    eduardvdw Posts: 1 Member
    Wholewheat crackers with some low fat cheese spread inbetween
  • jamieilers346
    jamieilers346 Posts: 6 Member
    My first thought was raw veggies - low calorie but very nutritious and filling. I often like to eat them with dip, but you can make some really nice and flavorful dip using Greek yogurt and spices without too many calories.

Fruit is higher calorie than veggies but still low overall for the volume of food you're eating in many cases.

I'll second/third popcorn as a more typical "snack food" option. Last week I think I had popcorn twice as a meal. ;)

Would you mind sharing your Greek yogurt and spice dip recipe?
  • JulieH70517
    JulieH70517 Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2021
    Oven dried chickpeas are good to snack on. And I like Skinnypop mini cakes.