For the love of Produce...

Replies

• ladyoftherocks
    ladyoftherocks Posts: 64 Member
    I just made broccoli rabe for the first time! I did it roasted with olive oil in the oven and it was delicious. I really miss the drive through farmers' market they were doing due to covid last year, it was so convenient and I loved trying new things with the blind bags. It will be 2 weeks since my 2nd vaccine on Monday so I'll make an effort to go to the normal market - though they moved it to the most annoying part of town!

@AnnPT77 That sounds SO GOOD I want to try it - minus the feta, I'm a feta hater. Blasphemy I know. I don't think I've made mustard greens yet. The edamame fettuccine sounds interesting.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    My friends with the neighborhood center farmers market veggie box subscription left town again, so I got their box this week. Now, I'm rich in greens: Yay!

From upper right, I have a nice big bag of baby spinach, mixed salad greens, kale, chives, ramps, and a potted baby basil.

w6reb4oupt6h.jpg

I still had greens from a previous marketing round, so tonight's dinner was very green as well: Leeks slivered & sauteed with mustard greens, eaten on edamame fettucine with tamari and rice vinegar; romaine salad with cherry tomatoes, thin-sliced onions, goat feta, and red wine vinegar leftover from cooking cubed root veggies in it last night (so lightly earthy-flavored from them, which was nice).

@AnnPT77 - these are lovely!!! 🌿 🥬
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,551 Member
    What are your favourite slaws that don't use brassicas?

I have anchovy/garlic mayo I made for Salade Nicoise at the beginning of the week and would like the use the leftovers in a slaw. However the hubby's delicate digestive system means brassicas upset his stomach. All that comes to mind and is in season is spiralized celeriac and carrots.

Ideas would be welcome.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 230 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

I have anchovy/garlic mayo I made for Salade Nicoise at the beginning of the week and would like the use the leftovers in a slaw. However the hubby's delicate digestive system means brassicas upset his stomach. All that comes to mind and is in season is spiralized celeriac and carrots.

Ideas would be welcome.

Julienned jicama, maybe?
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    I made some pancake-y things to go with my egg muffins this weekend. Grated carrot and zucchini, minced green onion, sundried tomato and garlic, shredded style frozen hashbrowns, shredded Mozzarella, a bit of Italian seasoning, and an egg and some flour to bind it all together. Baked. Based on the bits that fell off around the edges or stuck to the pan they're delicious.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    acpgee wrote: »

Ideas would be welcome.

Would also be good on a roasted veg salad, but if slaw-focused then I like that jicama idea, too . . . unless fiber is part of your husband's digestive sensitivity.
    Hakurei turnips, maybe?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Mega veggie pizza, Murcan-excess style, with tomato paste, cherry tomatoes, fire-roasted diced tomatoes (yes, canned), cherry tomatoes, basil (dried), fresh garlic, onion, garlic-stuffed green olives, spinach, fresh mushrooms, orange bell peppers, chevre, parmesan, mozzarella, and probably some stuff I'm forgetting. I don't do scratch pizza often (lazy, plus it's calorie-rich), but I've been working on crust, wanting to figure out best mix of whole wheat flour (flavor, heartiness), chickpea or similar legume flour (protein, fiber). vital wheat gluten (rising, chewiness, protein). Not totally there yet, but am keeping notes & think I'm making progress.

bt6jjbzchs9a.jpg

Looks good Ann. I have the same pizza pans.