60 yrs and up

Replies

• Tuppence26
    Tuppence26 Posts: 143 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    glojlilly wrote: »
    I'm back, for a quick minute. Checking in. This thread/discussion gets hot and cold. Seems hot when the men chime in? Lol. I've been busy, had main drain stopped up and had to rent a snake. Going to have to use tree root killer annually. Now sprinkler repair is scheduled this week, after a 2 week wait. Texans are still catching up with the winter storm damage. The pool filter tank order is still on a month backlog. I did mowing, edging yesterday for 2 hours. I tried to hire it out but the quote was pricey. Uhm, I had to go off all friend requests stuff because I felt I barely had time to log food being a high school nurse M-F with evening chores. I felt I had to log exercise that really wasn't good exercise, which was very time consuming since I'm Not retired. I'm at a 11 lbs loss plateau for 2 weeks because stress makes me snack too much on healthy snacks like nuts. Keto seemed to help at first but the gains disappear as quickly when returning to normal eating. I'm at a standstill but at least I've maintained my loss. Counting down50 days before school is out for the Summer! Yeah! I want to visit mom/siblings in Michigan. 😎

I pretty much don't know what to say unless someone asks a question: Pandemic life is pretty quiet, in my world. Sounds like you've been having plenty of adventures, not necessarily all good ones!

One tip: This may not be the best time of year to visit Michigan, Summer sounds better. Last week, it was around 70F, and I took my walk happily in a short-sleeved t-shirt. Today, it was a few degrees above freezing, I was bundled up in multi-layers, and it snowed during my walk. I hear what you're saying about missing family, and wanting to visit . . . but there are advantages to holding off until actual Summer, in hopes of the state deciding by then what weather it wants to have.

Uneventful updates: Weight holding steady as intended, haven't started on-water rowing season yet, doing some 5mi walks and indoor rowing/biking, trying to bring strength training back into my workout schedule (which I sadly don't enjoy, so struggle with, despite knowing 100% that it's good for me).

Since I've really got nuthin', how about some more flower pictures from the yard (L to R, top to bottom, Helleborus orientalis, Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum - a wildflower), different color (near black!) Helleborus orientalis, Double Bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis), Checkered Lily (Fritillaria melagris), Corn-leaf Iris (Iris bucharica):

91gdd2rbv5v8.jpg

8gw2u56g2whs.jpg

Awesome flower pix. Thanks for posting!

• Tuppence26
    Love the flower pics, especially the very dark Helleborus . Late autumn here in NZ so really only chrysanthemums and daphne at the moment. Enjoying reading the posts, so many of us keeping an eye on our health🌹🌹
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    Tuppence26 wrote: »
    I gave up smoking 5 months ago and put on 14lb. So heartbreaking cos I have been at my weight watchers goal weight for 30 years. Funny I say it like it’s someone else’s fault🙆‍♀️. I am not prepared to start smoking again, so it’s diet and exercise until the excess weight is gone.
    Congrats on having accomplished one of the best things you can do for your health.... quitting smoking!! Maybe think of each pound you now loose as one more rejection of the tobacco companies' assault on your health, to give you even more determination. Thumbs Up to you!
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    glojlilly wrote: »
    I have an countdown Widget on my phone when I 'hope to retire.' Glad others are enjoying it right now. I hope to have grandkids one day too. I can only imagine. (Love that song by Tamela Mann).

I need this. Hahahaha! I just keep telling myself "4 and a half years... just 4 and a half years." My currently planned/hoped for date is 12/31/2025. That will put me at 20 years in my current job and just shy of 67.5 years old. Truth be told, I'd love to retire before that, but can't afford to. Not sure I'll be able to afford to then, but, well.... we'll see.

Weather in southeastern AZ has been lovely, if a bit windy at times. Mind you, this won't last long as we've already had some 90+ degree days. 100º plus is just around the corner. Although I was born and raised here, and have never lived elsewhere, I am not a fan of the heat. :'( For now, I'm enjoying riding my bike and the occasional run/walk. Soon, I'll have to get up at the crack of dawn to be able to get out and do anything. The apartment complex gym is open and, luckily, there are seldom others using it. I've been yoyo-ing around my current weight since the beginning of the year, but I still have 30 pounds to go until I reach my goal. I think I'll have to restart the diet plan I was put on when I got my diabetes dx last year to see if I can kickstart the losing again. I mean, I still mostly follow the plan and my carb intake is so much less than it's been in the past, but I am the queen of self-sabotage.
  • Tuppence26
    I love the chatter about retirement. I retired at 64 years old and loved it. It was wondrous to spend time with family, the time with 3 NZ grandchildren was beyond words. I wished I could have visited the Australian family... jolly covid! I spent hours and hours in my garden, veg and flower and was in heaven. Unfortunately finances took a dive and I have returned to work. Dang! I have had a taste of the good life tho and it’s as sweet as honey. Can someone please tell me how to reply to a post. I see the post repeated with a comment underneath, how do I do that?
  • tomaspetro
    tomaspetro Posts: 1,507 Member
    I love the chatter about retirement. I retired at 64 years old and loved it. It was wondrous to spend time with family, the time with 3 NZ grandchildren was beyond words. I wished I could have visited the Australian family... jolly covid! I spent hours and hours in my garden, veg and flower and was in heaven. Unfortunately finances took a dive and I have returned to work. Dang! I have had a taste of the good life tho and it’s as sweet as honey. Can someone please tell me how to reply to a post. I see the post repeated with a comment underneath, how do I do that?

At the bottom of each post is the date, time, flag, quote ...................................... Just press the word "quote" at the bottom of the post you're responding to. The post will appear in a new box in which you can type your reply.
  • Tuppence26
    Thank you🤗
    tomaspetro wrote: »

At the bottom of each post is the date, time, flag, quote ...................................... Just press the word "quote" at the bottom of the post you're responding to. The post will appear in a new box in which you can type your reply.

• glojlilly
    glojlilly Posts: 313 Member
    edited April 2021
    @seilidhe yeah....my countdown is 5 years! Yes,..it does seem far off. I guess if you're enjoying something it goes by too fast. People are on edge at work. Yelling about petty stuff. And they know jobs are tight. So 5 does seems like 50 right now, lol. I would be 68. Wish I could invent something, lol.
    @Tuppence26 I would be retiring next year if was your age when you retired. I know it felt great. Can you believe they're trying to raise property taxes, in a pandemic? Thank God for a cap. If you pay off stuff and retire do you miss social interaction? Will inflation ever reverse? Men of greed. The vegetable garden would definitely sustain. Throw in a fishing pole and you are good to go. I'm still driving my 2003 Honda Element. Over 200k. These new cars are plastic stuff, imo. I'm not trying to keep up with the Jones.
    Just rented a cordless makita hedge trimmer, what a workout. 100 ft cord around a oversized pool, more work. Going back to mostly keto. . Old school people worked off food outdoors. Let's do this!
  • Tuppence26
    I live a pretty laid back life in the country, which I very much enjoy, I drive a ‘99 Toyota which is reliable. Wish I didn’t have to work again but it will keep me fit. Like you Glojlilly it will be 5 years (at least )Focusing on losing a few kilos and staying off the cigarettes right now This website is mint, I need the accountability of writing every morsel down and seeing the kilojoules add up.
  • Tuppence26
    I am enjoying blogging too. Although things are pretty normal here and Vaccinating of the community has just started. quote="southkonahi;c-45930579"]I thought that when I retired, I'd have so much more time to do volunteer work, etc. Now I do have the time. But with the shutdowns caused by the pandemic, many of those activities are not going on right now. I'll be glad when there is enough "safety" measures (vaccinated people, etc) accomplished that group activities can open up again. And also activities within schools, with the kids. Soon please!

Posting on this site has become a sort of new online hobby. :)[/quote]

• Tuppence26
    Super day with family today. the days are getting a bit chilly now, (New Zealand), so out with the coats and scarves. I am thinking about veg soup yummy and good for the weight loss.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Happy Monday!
  • Tuppence26
    Happy Tuesday from New Zealand, Monday was great too lol
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    Happy Monday from Austin Texas!
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Welcome to the new folks here. It's good to see an active thread. Feel free to add me as a friend . Glad to share support and encouragement.
  • Tuppence26
    Hi all. Nice to meet new people. All welcome. Hop in and share your story/day/progress/where you’re at anything👍👍
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    Hi. I'm doing nice and steady with my "calorie counting" approach, it works for me. And, since I don't want to have to think too hard about what to log, it sort of keeps me from getting too complicated with my meal planning. [Maybe it just encourages simple eating?]

Anyone else doing any prep for summer weather cloths in combo with [hopefully] weight loss? I've bought some new items, I had to decide between "fits if I don't accidently shrink it", vs, "could almost be considered too big, but now I can allow it to be in the dryer too long". It takes me extra planning because much of the women's clothes is made to fit a 20 year old figure. Shopping for 60+ is more limited, in my experience. [For men, I don't think it is as much of a difference on the shape between age groups. Size yes, shape no.]

• Tuppence26
    I have just purchased some clothes for New Zealand winter. I decided to buy ...just fits, will look good when I’ve lost another few pounds🤗 positive thinking✔️ Calorie/exercise counting is working okay for me too. I feel a little accountability would be beneficial. For example I am going to very close to having too many calories today, I need a reminder😉to stop picking.
  • trekkie123
    trekkie123 Posts: 250 Member
    I have just purchased some clothes for New Zealand winter. I decided to buy ...just fits, will look good when I’ve lost another few pounds🤗 positive thinking✔️ Calorie/exercise counting is working okay for me too. I feel a little accountability would be beneficial. For example I am going to very close to having too many calories today, I need a reminder😉to stop picking.

Tighter clothes will keep you motivated!!! Great idea. Keep us posted👌