What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• sweetdaisy13
    sweetdaisy13 Posts: 357 Member
    3.1 mile walk lunchtime and planks/isometric exercise workout this afternoon.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Legs. Glad to get the sessions in before a trip/vacation weekend!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    Predictably,

* 35' -ish yoga/stretching/foam rolling
    * 5.09 mile walk, 3.4mph average pace (slow!)**
    * 23' upper body supersets, light weights
    * 33' easy pace stationary bike (70% HR reserve and below, except a few seconds . . . mostly lots below, like under 60% - heh)

The difference I notice with age is resilience. Last month, I was adding some volume. This month, I'm working on adding some different modes. Intensity is intentionally pretty low, in that context.

** Slow walk partly, but not exclusively, because I was gawking at wildflowers (Spring Beauty (Claytonia sp., probably virginica), Trout Lily (Erythronium americanum), Trillium (probably Trillium grandiflorum)). There were others, but no photos.

48q8zh7u1pp0.jpg
    56hi3glpz5lw.jpg

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 972 Member
    I went climbing for 90 minutes. I was not bad - definitely better than the previous session. I was still not good, but given the amount of lockdown time off, it was OK.

My heart rate is higher for gym sessions than on my home wall, for some reason. Fitbit reckons it averaged 110 over the session.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,193 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2021
    Went for a 2 mile walk this morning... of which I ran 3/4 of a mile(in 1/4 mile increments), so I'm counting it as my first post-surgery run. Woot! I'm back!!!

Guess I'd better restart strength training so I don't injure myself again running... Coming soon - updates with both runs and strength training exercises... and cycling. Yay!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Easy 45 minute spin today to help my legs recover from yesterday's swim and run tests.

The 5k run last night was encouraging. My first 5k run in late Feb was a stiff reminder of just how much run fitness I had lost during injury rehab. At 10:35/mile, I had serious doubts about my ability to run again. Last night's 8:45/mile pace showed me that I'm making some improvements despite limited mileage. Bike and swim work are helping my overall aerobic fitness, so a consistent block of run work should really help.

Tomorrow's power profile bike test will be the last testing session for this round. Then it's 8 weeks of training to prep for a half iron distance race in June.
  • drmwc
    edited April 2021
    I went climbing, on my home woody. It was fun. I was OK, but not outstanding.

It was my third climbing out of 4 days, so I am getting back towards my old amount of sessions for it.

I did a 10 mile walk afterwards.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,718 Member
    30'-ish yoga - stretch - foam roll.
    5249m machine row, 2:29.3 avg pace, 16 spm avg, going for meters per stroke/power (or the closest to that my F 65-69 Lwt self can deliver). Felt challenging, but HR only got a bit above 80% reserve, i.e. 156 max. (220 - age = 155 😆). Final 500m piece at 2:25.2/16spm.
    About 30' core exercises.

Rest day tomorrow, probably yoga/stretch stuff only.

Data (format is 2k, 2k, 500m; 2' between the pieces is roughly 15" row out easy, 15" water break, 1" row in easy; final 2' CD easy.)
    oog5ywimqd8p.jpg
    c3jbn7wnlip3.png

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    @AnnPT77 -- really strong Ann for such a low rate row! You really deserve an easy day after that!
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    A 50 minutes dance session
  • MMark2012
    MMark2012 Posts: 142 Member
    Just a 30 minute Jenny Ford Basic Step routine today. But she really hauls *kitten* and goes quickly. 2 hours of cleaning an apartment coming up in a bit.(cleaning after tenants have left)
  • sweetdaisy13
    Rest day today, so just a 3.1 mile family walk this afternoon.
  • drmwc
    edited April 2021
    I was too tired to climb, so I decided to do one of my my rare jogs. I think it is the third one in the last 3 years or so

I did 5k in almost exactly 30 minutes. So I am dead slow, but given I've never really ran before, I was happy with that as a starting pace. My average heart rate was 150, so I'm clearly not yet well adapted to running.

I'm pretty certain it's my furthest run ever.
  • sweetdaisy13
    @drmwc 5k in 30 minutes is a good time and isn't slow. Quite impressive as you said that you don't usually run, well done.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    edited April 2021
    500m row, and then 3 rounds of 10 secs on 10 secs off (2:40min each). Decline sit-ups in between.
  • drmwc
    edited April 2021
    @sweetdaisy13 Thanks!

On my climb and walk yesterday, my little brother came round. On the walk, we overtook 3 youngsters. One of them was a big unit. As we went past him, his friends shouted:
    "Look at the old people overtaking you! You are too big - have a doughnut. Fat lives matter!"

I am unconvinced that this is the optimal strategy from them to persuade him to lse weight.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Did my last test session of the week today. It was my second bike fitness test, called the Power Profile test. 75minute trainer ride with a bunch of warmup outputs, then testing a 5minute all out effort, some recovery, then two 1minute all out efforts, more recovery and finally two 10 second sprints.

Now we get to my favorite training phase, the half iron build. This means some longer bike rides on the weekends, which I enjoy, plus more swim yardage. The goal is to overbuild the bike fitness, since we're focused on the full iron distance race in September. My run training will be done as "just enough volume" to minimize the risk of injury.
  • janicemlove
    janicemlove Posts: 432 Member
    Swimming laps for half an hour. (I did personal training yesterday so today's workout was pretty chill).
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Did an easy hour on the rower yesterday (around 12K meters or so), then did some pretty heavy yard work for another hour on top.