I've decided to just body recomp and stop bulking because I'm 50 and tired

2»

Replies

• dmhobill
    dmhobill Posts: 2 Member
    I have been consistently strength training since 1983 and at this point find it best to stay lean all year round. I stoped trying to force weight gain about 20 years ago and have just continued to eat clean and tasty food most of the time with occasional junk thrown in maybe once a week(Pizza, beer, icecream) I find that I do best just focusing on foods I like in moderate amounts and when I do eat something less healthy, I don't sweat it. To maintain I track about 2K calories and weigh about 185lbs. Clean foods with lean protein and lots of colorful veggies keep me satisfied 95% of the time. Good luck figuring out what works best for you!
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    dmhobill wrote: »
    I have been consistently strength training since 1983 and at this point find it best to stay lean all year round. I stoped trying to force weight gain about 20 years ago and have just continued to eat clean and tasty food most of the time with occasional junk thrown in maybe once a week(Pizza, beer, icecream) I find that I do best just focusing on foods I like in moderate amounts and when I do eat something less healthy, I don't sweat it. To maintain I track about 2K calories and weigh about 185lbs. Clean foods with lean protein and lots of colorful veggies keep me satisfied 95% of the time. Good luck figuring out what works best for you!

I think following your plan sounds very smart. Good for you!!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member

I'm on basically the same program except never did a bulk. I've been lifting since 1974, 6'2" 205 pounds, about 10 pounds more than my college weight when people would ask if I was on the baseball team or football team as a receiver or defensive back (not athletic enough but looked the part) at my 20k student university.

90% or so clean food as you mention and very occasional junk, along with consistent exercise is the way to go for most IMO.

@dmhobill I am a bit surprised at your calorie burn. I'm probably older and only 20 pounds heavier an maintain on about 2700 calories a day. I'd think you'd be higher that 2,000..
  • dmhobill
    dmhobill Posts: 2 Member
    @Theoldguy1
    yeah... I wish could eat more and not gain fat, I used to eat a LOT more. ;-) the 2K does not count exercise, which I get almost each day (3 days of strength work and 2-3 days of cardio) When tracking I adjust with exercise. I am a smaller boned person that seems to be able to put on weight easy when I eat a lot. ;-)

The good news is I am happy with my current approach.... hope everyone finds something that meets goals they can live with long term.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    @Theoldguy1
    yeah... I wish could eat more and not gain fat, I used to eat a LOT more. ;-) the 2K does not count exercise, which I get almost each day (3 days of strength work and 2-3 days of cardio) When tracking I adjust with exercise. I am a smaller boned person that seems to be able to put on weight easy when I eat a lot. ;-)

The good news is I am happy with my current approach.... hope everyone finds something that meets goals they can live with long term.

Our gyms have been closed since November. It has been a constant effort to keep active and not eat too much.

I have a standard bar and 350 lbs of plates. I also have dumbbells and bands. It has been a real effort to stay motivated!!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    @Theoldguy1

Your approach sounds really good. It's a marathon not a sprint.