Pre-Workout supps.........

What's your favorite and why?

Thanks!!

Replies

• Jesse_Sue
    Jesse_Sue Posts: 37 Member
    Coffee because it is delicious.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well that's a no brainer!!!! Cheers to that!!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited April 2021
    No caffeinated crap for me before working out. That includes a 5AM start time before work or 5PM start time after. Fix your sleep..
  • Jesse_Sue
    Jesse_Sue Posts: 37 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    No caffeinated crap for me before working out. That includes a 5AM start time before work or 5PM start time after. Fix your sleep..

Cool
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    For a while, it was Tootsie Roll brand caramel apple pops (suckers). Now it's usually dried mangos, prunes, and/or a Godiva chocolate ganache heart. Once in a rare while, a Kind mini. My regular meals/snacks cover the nutritional bases, so I just use some tasty, fairly quick-carb thing before a workout if I'm feeling the need for a small energy boost.

When going to the gym, if I had back-to-back intense workouts (spin then kettlebell, say), I kept those "drinkable" no-added-sugar applesauce packets in my gym bag, because they're quick to eat, tasty, and shelf stable.

Honestly, I think the benefit is probably as much psychological as physical . . . well, maybe not in the back-to-back intense workout case.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    I recently switched to Hyde NitroX and have been really happy with the ingredient profile for the price on certain flavors through Amazon.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    If by "workout" you mean strength training, then nothing at all as I don't need or want anything. I've honestly never seen the point of taking stimulants before training. Being a very low responder to caffeine also makes most of them irrelevant to me.

If a more general exercise question, then for bike rides of three hours or more my go to drink before setting off is a load of granola in a milk shake with a scoop of whey protein.
  • jasondwightpowell
    jasondwightpowell Posts: 40 Member
    BuckedUp Woke AF

Why:
    Insane vascularity.
    Crazy pump.
    Oh and the grape flavor is fantastic.

Only reason I don't like it is it kind of makes my skin crawl for about 20 minutes after I take it.
  • black_jay
    black_jay Posts: 23 Member
    I’m on wokeAF right now and I’m not sure if I like it or not. I get significant crash after about 2 hours. I used ghost pre workout before this and I liked it a little more.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    I run Redcon 1 Total War. I was using Kaged Muscle PreKaged but Redcon was on sale. Total war does mix better and i like the flavor. I would be interested in trying Outworked (Layne Norton's pre-workout).

Ultimately, if you do a pre-workout the main key is citrulline (3-5g) or citrulline malate (6-8g). Caffeine generally should be 200-300mg (about 3x the amount of coffee).

• psuLemon
    BuckedUp Woke AF

Why:
    Insane vascularity.
    Crazy pump.

Only reason I don't like it is it kind of makes my skin crawl for about 20 minutes after I take it.

The crawling skin is beta alanine. Its a common thing.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    After I swim I have a One bar or Greek yogurt....lots of protein in a small package!
  • yojimbo121
    yojimbo121 Posts: 32 Member
    C4 preworkout and creatine, up at 5am to exercise so the extra kick start to the day helps
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    I have caffeine everyday before workout. And get plenty of sleep. But that's really about it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    BuckedUp Woke AF

Why:
    Insane vascularity.
    Crazy pump.

The crawling skin is beta alanine. Its a common thing.
    Yep. And if there's any trace of niacin (B3 complex) as well.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Following for pre-workouts.

I use to use c4, but I know there are so many more out there now.
  • psuLemon
    Following for pre-workouts.

I use to use c4, but I know there are so many more out there now.

Ironically, C4 is pretty undosed in most of the effective ingredients. So you aren't missing out 😆
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited May 2021

It's not always easy to fix your sleep. I have a 3 and 5 year old, who aren't the best sleepers, and due to the pandemic, we have to work shifts so i am at work at 5am. And the only time i can train my wife is after our kids get to sleep.

It might be worth you not making generalization based on your current experience. Some of us have a lot more going on.

Actually my experience is through raising 2 kids working a 9-12 hour a day job with 2 hours of commute time. So not based on current experience.

My point is one should be examining their sleep and nutrition honestly before supplementing for any reason.

Might not be worth you making generalizations/assumptions either.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

It's not always easy to fix your sleep. I have a 3 and 5 year old, who aren't the best sleepers, and due to the pandemic, we have to work shifts so i am at work at 5am. And the only time i can train my wife is after our kids get to sleep.

It might be worth you not making generalization based on your current experience. Some of us have a lot more going on.

Actually my experience is through raising 2 kids working a 9-12 hour a day job with 2 hours of commute time. So not based on current experience.

My point is one should be examining their sleep and nutrition honestly before supplementing for any reason.

Might not be worth you making generalizations/assumptions either.

Sometimes an honest assessment of sleep is going to result in the conclusion that a cup of coffee would be really handy before my workout. People juggle a lot of things in life. If someone is deciding to sometimes use caffeine, it's not a refusal to be honest or a lack of self-assessment.

In an ideal world, everyone would just decide to "fix their sleep" and it would happen as a result. The reality is that different people are going to try different strategies, face different challenges to their sleep, and it's not a one time "fix it and forget it" thing. I might have great sleep patterns most of the year, but still sometimes desire a pre-exercise boost.