COVID Was An Excuse For Me To Get Lazy - Time to Reduce

I hate excuses. They shut our corporate gym down and since I didn't get to do what I wanted, I decided to not do what I needed to.

But....I know the drill.

I don't know how much I weigh today. I'll get a starting weight later, but I do know how my clothes fit and what my body fat looks like. And it doesn't look or function the way it did a year ago. Since I like to lift, I'll use the following to get where I want to go (in order of importance):

1. Calorie deficit 300-700 per day target (maybe a little higher for the first couple of weeks) - heavy on protein, carbs/fat wherever they fall
2. Strength training 3x per week - ease in, but with progressive overload in mind
3. Enough cardio to cover work capacity in strength training.

80% of my (return) to where I need to be will be in kitchen. 20% will be strength supported by enough cardio.

Posting here for posterity - and to be accountable - at least to me.

Having successfully done this before I know a few things:

1. The only thing that will reduce fat is calorie deficit.
2. The only thing that will preserve muscle is strength training (with an adequate amount of protein).
3. My bathroom scale numbers will fluctuate exactly as they always have and I will not trust the number it gives.
4. My kitchen scale numbers do not lie and I will trust them.
5. I will allot space for a couple of cookies or so every day on average. B)

Glad to be back.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Welcome back!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Welcome back!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    Glad to see you back active, @Silentpadna, sorry to hear that it's needful for you because of changes in circumstances. You know you've got this, but I'll still wish you much success!
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Thanks @AnnPT77. I know what to do and am very confident in the proven process. Getting active on the message boards helped last time. It'll work again.

Not as much to lose this time - I think. I'll know when I start weighing in....
  • zaknjakesmum
    zaknjakesmum Posts: 73 Member
    edited April 2021
    Good luck to you!! You got this! My journey began because of COVID too, but for opposite reasond! One of the side effects from the medication I got in hospital, was it gave me very high blood sugars. Since my dr told me I was pre-diabetic, I got quite scared and the day I got out of the hosptal (Nov. 27) I started tracking my food!

Jen

5"5'

234 / 191 / 140?
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Loving this post full of self-awareness and SMART goal-setting 🙌🏿

Enjoy the time "returning" to where you want to be.
  • cat_lady77
    cat_lady77 Posts: 203 Member
    Hell yeah!!! Those are basically my goals after realizing none of my work pants fit thanks to COVID laziness weight gain.