COVID vaccine water weight gain?

Replies

• wunderkindking
    wunderkindking Posts: 1,615 Member
    ...I lost about 2lbs of water weight 2 days after my second vaccine, but I also spent the previous day (so first day after) asleep.

Basically I LOST water weight.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,039 Member
    Received shot two yesterday morning. I blatantly ignored sound medical advice and popped 800mg of Ibuprofen two hours before my shot. Bad me!

Two hours after, I did my regular 30 minute cardio workout on the rebounder, adding much more arm movement than I usually do to increase blood-flow in my shot arm. Drank nearly 3 liters of water throughout the day. Had no side-effects at all. Stepped on the scale this morning - no change. But that I remained in deep calorie deficit yesterday (1050 calories) - staying at the same weight might technically be a slight gain? Not concerned.

And before anyone loses their mind, yes, I will be eating more today. 😋
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,572 Member
    MsCzar wrote: »
    Received shot two yesterday morning. I blatantly ignored sound medical advice and popped 800mg of Ibuprofen two hours before my shot. Bad me!

Two hours after, I did my regular 30 minute cardio workout on the rebounder, adding much more arm movement than I usually do to increase blood-flow in my shot arm. Drank nearly 3 liters of water throughout the day. Had no side-effects at all. Stepped on the scale this morning - no change. But that I remained in deep calorie deficit yesterday (1050 calories) - staying at the same weight might technically be a slight gain? Not concerned.

And before anyone loses their mind, yes, I will be eating more today. 😋

You're a rebel and I love it. :)

I'm more worried about the covidy flu like symptoms after the second shot. Did I mention this is taking place a week before a big deadline??? :)
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    edited April 2021
    Combo of things.
    My weight went up 5 lbs last week and finally returned back to within a couple lbs of normal today. Checked Libra, the gain started right after my first Moderna shot. Never thought to put any of it together until seeing this thread. 🤔

Plus geting heavy butt length braids. 😉
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,907 Member
    Combo of things.
    My weight went up 5 lbs last week and finally returned back to within a couple lbs of normal today. Checked Libra, the gain started right after my first Moderna shot. Never thought to put any of it together until seeing this thread. 🤔

I actually giggled out loud at the braids bit.

At one point when I was in the depths of weight loss Hell, I tried to figure out the weight of my waist-length hair. The struggle is real.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Combo of things.

At one point when I was in the depths of weight loss Hell, I tried to figure out the weight of my waist-length hair. The struggle is real.

I have 4 packs of extensions, each about 150 grams, on my head. Plus I feel noticeable weight. Gotta count for something, lol! 😆
  • glassyo
    Combo of things.

I have 4 packs of extensions, each about 150 grams, on my head. Plus I feel noticeable weight. Gotta count for something, lol! 😆

Strength training your head? :)
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 308 Member
    my best friend came out of menopause after her first pfzier. she did some research to find out if that was the reason, and i guess this is something that is happening to some women. so obv a hormone effect so yeah, maybe that also explains the weight gain.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    my best friend came out of menopause after her first pfzier. she did some research to find out if that was the reason, and i guess this is something that is happening to some women. so obv a hormone effect so yeah, maybe that also explains the weight gain.

Well, no - the weight gain people are talking about is temporary water weight.

Have not heard of any vaccines making people go in or out of menopause - how on earth could they do that??

Do you have a link to this research?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited April 2021

Well, no - the weight gain people are talking about is temporary water weight.

Have not heard of any vaccines making people go in or out of menopause - how on earth could they do that??

Do you have a link to this research?

Some post-menopausal women have apparently reported bleeding or spotting after the vaccine: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/researchers-looking-into-link-between-covid-vaccine-and-menstruation/2495593/

Of course, this is very different than prompting a person to come "out of menopause." Just because you are bleeding or spotting doesn't mean that menopause has been reversed (not telling you so much as letting others reading the thread know).

The article also mentions that pre-menopausal women may also experience some spotting or breakthrough bleeding after the vaccine. I personally experienced this, but since it's something that sometimes happens to me anyway (I'm guessing I'm perimenopausal), I am not confident it has anything to do with the shot.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Thanks for that link, I'd not heard anything about that. Interesting.

Remains at the 'potentially a possible connection ' stage - or possibly not, depending what controlled studies show.

And, yes, clearly not ' coming out of menopause'.

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Had my second shot today (Pfizer) and my arm is noticeably sorer this time around than it was the first time. The injections themselves weren't bad at all; I was expecting more of a "pinch." I too was advised it was no problem to take painkillers and I'm definitely taking advantage of that.
  • glassyo
    Had my second shot today (Pfizer) and my arm is noticeably sorer this time around than it was the first time. The injections themselves weren't bad at all; I was expecting more of a "pinch." I too was advised it was no problem to take painkillers and I'm definitely taking advantage of that.

Mine is May 11th. I'm curious to see if you develop the covid after effects and how long it took after the shot.
  • antonia_yes
    antonia_yes Posts: 70 Member
    /I had my second Pfizer on Sunday and had no loss on Monday (weigh in day) but that may be unrelated. I had a 11 week gap as dictated in the UK. Side effects were just sore arm and a bit tired.

Also to pick up on an earlier mention, I have a few friends who had an early period/breakthrough bleeding after their vaccine. Strange !
  • penguinmama87
    glassyo wrote: »

Mine is May 11th. I'm curious to see if you develop the covid after effects and how long it took after the shot.

It's funny you mention that; I actually woke up in the middle of the night after my last dose of acetaminophen had worn off and I had major chills even though it was a really warm night. I'm much more tired than usual today but still functional. Arm is still a little bit sore, but not as bad as it felt at 3am.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member

It's funny you mention that; I actually woke up in the middle of the night after my last dose of acetaminophen had worn off and I had major chills even though it was a really warm night. I'm much more tired than usual today but still functional. Arm is still a little bit sore, but not as bad as it felt at 3am.

My wife and daughter both had the same symptoms after their second doses - lethargy, general feelings of 'not quite right', etc. After my second shot, my arm was sore for a couple of days (but not any worse than any other shot I have received in the past) but that was the extent of any reaction that I had.
  • glassyo

My coworker had the second shot in the morning and by midafternoon(?) was feeling flu like. He was tired and felt feverish.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member

My coworker had the second shot in the morning and by midafternoon(?) was feeling flu like. He was tired and felt feverish.

Same here with one of my coworkers. He has his second dose of Moderna yesterday, and called off today because of low grade fever and aches.
  • NVintage
    NVintage Posts: 1,463 Member
    I didn't gain any weight, but I was so bloated yesterday! I ate lunch around noon before my appointment, and then I had to force myself to eat a small dinner around 8pm. I'm lucky that I'm not having to work right now, but if I had a job I'd ask for a few days off. And if I had a husband, I'd ask him to take a few days off to take care of me, haha! I had a fever and lightheadedness driving home afterwards and it lasted for about an hour. Then had really bad side effects that kept me awake all night. I'm starting to feel better now, though. It was nothing so bad that I regret getting vaccinated, and I admit to being a bit of a baby when it comes to any sort of muscle pain, etc.
    This is purely a curiosity question....but did anyone else experience a water weight gain when receiving the vaccine? I got my first dose Wednesday, and the next day I had a 3 lb jump on the scale! Since then I've been up about 2 lbs. I'm not fretting about it..I just thought it was interesting and wondered if anyone else noticed something similar! :)

• penguinmama87

The good news is that today I'm pretty much back to normal! I went to bed yesterday in the middle of the afternoon and slept on and off until this morning.