No stress workouts

So I currently am pretty underweight and trying to build up some strength throughout the body starting with my core muscles. If you have any no stress or likewise physical therapy related exercises or resources to help gain muscle without stressing the body, I would very much appreciate it!!

Replies

• claireychn074
    claireychn074 Posts: 1,321 Member
    Can you clarify exactly what you mean by no stress workouts? Do you mean no mental stress or no physical stress? As all exercise is physical stress... are you looking for chilled, relaxing stuff?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited April 2021
    The body requires a stressor to disrupt homeostasis and signal it to build muscle.

Generally it would be extremely unlikely to build muscle without stressing the body.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2021
    So I currently am pretty underweight and trying to build up some strength throughout the body starting with my core muscles. If you have any no stress or likewise physical therapy related exercises or resources to help gain muscle without stressing the body, I would very much appreciate it!!

There us useful stress and un-useful stress.

To achieve a strength and/or hypertrophy response...

We must achieve adequate useful stress to our muscles.
  • Chieflrg
    wiigelec wrote: »
    The body requires a stressor to disrupt homeostasis and signal it to build muscle.

Generally it would be extremely unlikely to build muscle without stressing the body.

*impossible :wink:
  • brettinabox
    brettinabox Posts: 6 Member
    By no stress I mean without putting alot of strain on the body that might result in hurting myself. I bought some resistance bands because I felt that would be a better alternative than weights or something that was too heavy.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    One of the best ways to build strength, especially core strength is to pick up, put down and carry heavy (for you) things. Get a couple gym bags, suitcases, etc. and fill them with books rocks, sand, etc. to an appropriate weight. Pick up and carry until you get tired. Put them down, rest and and repeat. Increase distance, and/or weight carried as you get stronger.
  • DoubleG2
    DoubleG2 Posts: 121 Member
    Why only core and not full body?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    You may want to start with yoga. But you'll need to be careful about the type of yoga, because yoga isn't just one type or level or approach.

You can get a lot of strength from a yoga, using just your body and a few props like blocks and blankets.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    By no stress I mean without putting alot of strain on the body that might result in hurting myself. I bought some resistance bands because I felt that would be a better alternative than weights or something that was too heavy.

You can start to develop strength with resistance bands or body weight disciplines like Pilates, but you're not going to build significant muscle without progressive overload. There are body-weight programs (You Are Your Own Gym, Convict Conditioning) that will help you do that, but they're not exactly "no-stress."

What is your fear of weights, exactly? Is there more than just being underweight that puts you at risk of injury?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

You can hurt yourself with bands too. It's not the item you are using, it's how you use it. My suggestion would be to look at the thread with various lifting programs and pick one that appeals to you. Most don't tell you to use specific weights, so you start where you can. If that's using machines with no weight selected or 5 pound dumbbells instead of a barbell, do that. When I started I couldn't even bench press the barbell.
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2021

I understand what you mean 😉.

If you want to gain muscle as you have stated, you will need more useful stress than resistance bands within a well written program.

You are correct to want to manage the load of stress your body will accumulate not just over one session but combinations of sessions.

So it's not the weight itself to be concerned about, but the intensity/volume your body is adapted to.

We are incredible human beings and adapt extremely well. It's our nature. Limiting yourself to bands only is governing your ability to achieve your goal. I encourage you seek ways to achieve stimulus that your body will respond to under the right conditions.
  • wi1234567890
    wi1234567890 Posts: 57 Member
    You can get a poster with resistance band exercises. Place it on your wall and every day choose two exercises - one upper body and one lower body. Vary which exercises you choose from one day to the next. Add a daily walk and a few planks throughout the day. As you get stronger you’ll gain more confidence and you’ll feel more comfortable tackling more intense workouts.
    It’s ok to start to slow but do try to progress instead of feeling stuck.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    Well you CAN'T gain muscle WITHOUT stressing the body. Muscle, bone, healing etc. go through repair AFTER STRESS related stimuli on them.

What is you issue? Do you have an autoimmune issue?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png