WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2021

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Heather. - I would Freecycle those books. It’s amazing what people want, for so many different projects or just because they love books. I have a Georgia O’Keefe table book that I suspect someone will want for making envelopes or framing photos for an inexpensive wall decoration, or for a decoupage project.

Karen in Virginia
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,355 Member
    edited April 2021
    Morning, afternoon and evening, my chickens...

Still feeling all the muscles fired up, but not hurting. If they start hurting, I'll just pop into the hot tub.

I will NOT be working out in the yard today, as we're under a tornado watch - in the spoiler is the radar projection about five hours from now... Hopefully, by the time it gets to us, it should be in the process of breaking up, losing its cohesiveness as a storm and just becoming scattered rain showers. Put it in a spoiler as I'm too lazy to size it down this morning.
    zl18bp21zl9x.png

We're in the lull between the night's storms and the ones that will be hitting us in a few hours, so I need to decide whether I'm going to run to the store now and get the few things we need. Then I'll be hunkered down working on the quilt for most of the rest of the day. Seems like a good day to work inside! I need to remember to take a break in the early afternoon and stretch everything back out. I'll need it by then.

Kelly - Love the idea of fairy lights... You're our Wonder Woman, you know!
    b69aa6mta3on.png

Off to take the garbage down and then head to the store quick and try to beat the rain back.

My mind just threw out a memory... "You aren't sugar, you won't melt," in my mother's voice--her usual answer to, "But Mama, it's raining!" The human mind is an amazing thing.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Well up ,dressed and washed my hair,and got for a walk.. now to watch Touched by an angel,then go let Homer out and then to my hair appointment, come back and take Dan to work.. and at 6 pm pick him up..
    The busier I am the better it is for me
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    Kelly - Love the idea of fairy lights... You're our Wonder Woman, you know!
    b69aa6mta3on.png

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

We've got fairy lights up in our patio ... they're solar powered.

2qho74cfy2y0.png

This is an older photo of the patio, without the "roof" and fairy lights.

cb65xddb3p8k.png

With the lights, it's really pretty out there. :)

If I were you, I'd also add a couple large palm-like plants around your hot tub for a bit of extra privacy and to give it a holiday-like feel.

I have thought about getting a hot tub or something here, but the ones I've looked at are very expensive.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    Karen - Can't think that ANYONE wants my old books, but it's a good idea. We have sent boxes and boxes off to charity bookshops - these are the runts. Nothing as glamorous as an art book!!!!! I am trying to think- would anyone want this when I am gone?

DH is driving me nuts wrestling with his old computer, not knowing what Microsoft system he has and trying to find out if he has a Google account. :sad: Then he wanted to put the printer loading DVD in before we have even got the thing switched on. Grrrrr! Did I say this would be a problem? Yes, I did.

Waiting for my son to turn up to help move the bureau back into the hall. He said "lunchtimeish". It is now 14.08.

The electrician came to investigate our dining room lights. By unscrewing the switch and using his tester he discovered they are double wired to dimmers. News to me. Hunting around I found some old dimmers that I thought didn't work on the other side of the wall. It was them! I must have fiddled with them at some point, found they didn't do anything (they are in a different room) and turned them off. Mea Culpa.
    Of course we had to pay call out. :sad:

Love Heather xxxxxx
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💛🌷❤️🌹💙
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    No workout yesterday, went to see mom. Today get my othe COVID shot
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Yesterday on my evening walk, I stopped to talk to a neighbour who told me that her garbage can was full because of the boxes of crackers and other things she bought at the beginning of the pandemic to feel safe and now they have reached their expiration date so she threw them out. I am such a fanatic about food waste, that I probably said a few things to her that I shouldn't have said. There are so many things you can eat after the date on the box,

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I don't have a particularly sensitive sense of smell although it has changed a bit since my deviated septum surgery. However, for whatever reason, I am super sensitive to "bad" smells like mould, rotten food, meat that's even just slightly off and stale food. I can also often detect the presence of mice in a place just by smell. And all milk smells sour to me.

Dry goods like crackers, cake mixes, pasta, etc. go stale. They do probably last a bit longer than the expiration date, but at some point I can no longer eat them because the stale smell/taste is so strong it turns my stomach.

So I can understand tossing them. However, I would check them first ... just opening the package would be enough for me to tell if something is stale or edible. And if the package was opened at some point in the past year, it's probably stale now. :neutral:

M in Oz
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    barbiecat wrote: »
    Yesterday on my evening walk, I stopped to talk to a neighbour who told me that her garbage can was full because of the boxes of crackers and other things she bought at the beginning of the pandemic to feel safe and now they have reached their expiration date so she threw them out. I am such a fanatic about food waste, that I probably said a few things to her that I shouldn't have said. There are so many things you can eat after the date on the box,

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Dry goods like crackers, cake mixes, pasta, etc. go stale. They do probably last a bit longer than the expiration date, but at some point I can no longer eat them because the stale smell/taste is so strong it turns my stomach.

So I can understand tossing them. However, I would check them first ... just opening the package would be enough for me to tell if something is stale or edible. And if the package was opened at some point in the past year, it's probably stale now.

M in Oz

Agreed. Those super processed foods can last a long time if they're unopened. However, after about 3 days if they are opened, they taste pretty stale to me. I don't buy them often and when I do, it's for a particular reason (usually involving people coming to visit and I need chips for the dip). I normally end up tossing half the package because we just don't eat them, even if they're fresh. Fortunately, neither of us are snackers.

I'll consume milk after it's "best by" date, if it doesn't smell bad.

Tina in CA
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,439 Member
    Peeked in sons room for your further Lego enjoyment! Its crazy intricate. There is a rhyme and reason with every part.
    1rgac7o7wa1h.jpg
    nseqq6g499yr.jpg
    cnonnm95uz1l.jpg
    There are times when he's explaining the whys and where's of it all, and my brain just turns to silly putty in my skull, but I never let him know that. I ask questions, and give him feedback and he's happy when I do. He knows to keep it simple when chatting to Lee about it. Lee puts his hand up, like "I'm done I can't take any more Lego factual information".

Well had a beautiful BLT sandwich yesterday, a banana and a pop tart with coffee. My soup wasn't calling my name from the fridge, but my tomatoes on the counter WERE! I had also bought some nice, really thick bacon, so I made 3 slices up in the oven. I opened at 11:45 and closed my eating window at 2pm. So now its fasting today, and most of tomorrow morning. So its going to be about 46 hour fast. I have done a 41 hour fast before, on purpose even. I know they say just clear liquids today, before a colonoscopy, but anything with a calorie will trigger an insulin response. And I don't want to start getting hungry. Just water today, maybe a couple of pink salt under my tongue for headaches. I got this!! Oh and by tomorrow noon, I should have the cleanest pipes on my street!
    Well peace out.💖👍
    Hugs ladies
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I had an early morning visit from my son today, via the magic of iphones. We looked at an ancient map of the Tualatin River. He and his sister grew up in the City of Tualatin. His wife and son were safely sleeping while we visited. DH and Schooner also slept. Schooner is up now but DH is still asleep.

KJ: I am not sure when the new baby is due to be born. I think the pregnancy is relatively new. Our DDIL was sleeping in while DS and I had our visit. Our grandson was born just in time to be our best Christmas gift in 2017.. I haven’t heard a probable due date for this one. It is very new news and I don’t have details. :heart:

Karen in VA: We have book freecycling opportunities in our town. There are little “houses” near the marina and beside the County Courthouse docks. Boaters are often avid readers. :star:

Lisa: Stay as safe as you can. I hope no tornado goes near you. Every time I hear the word tornado, I worry. The Wizard of OZ comes to mind. We have a photo of the one that occurred in our area on our living room wall. That photo was taken by us many years ago. We were lucky compared to other areas. We had a little tornado damage in our area, but there was much more damage for towns along the I-5 corridor in the Willamette Valley. Local news showed lots of photos of the damage back then. :sad:

Allie: Enjoy your busy day. :flowerforyou: I’m sorry to learn about your attorney’s daughter. Sending prayers for her. Scoliosis is a lifelong challenge as far as I know. I had a student many years ago who had scoliosis. She was a delightful girl and very bright. She wore a brace that helped her and had a shoe with a thicker sole to help her balance. :star:

Machka: Your patio is very inviting. I love your story about cycling. You have been quite an adventurer. WTG!!! :bigsmile:

Pip: Good news that you’re getting your second CoVid shot! :star:

Regarding CoVid Vaccinations: We have had both of our vaccinations to protect us from CoVid. We were earlier than some due to our ages. Many people here are just beginning to get their vaccinations and I am happy for them. People 16 and older are now eligible for the vaccinations in Oregon. We still wear masks in public places such as grocery stores. I think it is basic courtesy and helps everyone to be safer.

Katla in NW Oregon

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,678 Member
    Well Alfie was a good boy while i was gone.. slept in his doggie bed on the couch,forgot to move the pillows but he was good and didnt touch them..
    My hair is done and it looks great as usual.. and now.im back and will go get Dan in a few minutes and take Alfie for a ride..
    Lisa - im hoping Tornadoes stay away from your area..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,190 Member
    My son came and moved the bureau. Our hall looks homely again.
    He was most amused by my electrical story. He had recommended the electrician.

New doormats, inside and out, will keep everything clean. The old ones have been added to the pile in the garage.

I attempted to pay the sanding company today and my card was declined. I was puzzled. Then I got a text message from the bank. They were checking up on my transaction for a large amount of money. I replied that it was legit, but it hasn't gone through yet. I will check again tomorrow and maybe ring the company. Very annoying. I also have to pay the electrician. :o;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,506 Member
    Ii
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,781 Member
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    I'm having a personal work party inside my house. Laundry is chugging along and I'm working on cleaning an oven that is in serious need of cleaning. SOS to the rescue. Who knows how many I'll use up before I am satisfied. :grumble: