Struggling with the amount of food allowed to be eaten !!!

HI there, I am really struggling to eat the amount of food for my daily1,200 calorie intake. I am not really a meat eater and carbs tend to bload me out. help !!!! any advice would be much appreciated of how to bulk up my calorie intake would juicing be an ideal option ?
thank you
joan

Replies

• vpeaches
    vpeaches Posts: 31 Member
    We don't have the data but if you're used to (for example) eating 2000-3000 calories, 1200 is indeed a huge adjustment. Perhaps you could try a less drastic amount, 1500, 1300, and ease your way into a 1200 calorie diet.

I used to be a binge eater and limiting myself to 1200 calories was absolutely terrible for me. I would try to indulge in a 'treat' every once in a while and then become mortified that my single indulgence was worth 1/3 of my daily allowance. Later, after logging my 1200 calories, I would wake up at night and gorge because I simply wasn't minding the macronutrients I was taking in.

Here's some tips that really helped me: protein will keep you much fuller than carbs and fats. Really mind the ratio of what you have on your plate. If you're a volume eater (you like to feel full after a meal) prioritize having a huge helping of veggies on your plate, and snack on raw vegetables in between meals. Sometimes when you think you're hungry, your body is really just asking for some water. Have a glass (slowly) and if you are still hungry afterwards, then you can reconsider whether or not you need a snack/extra meal. I also have a bunch of those 0 calorie water flavour enhancers, it motivates me to drink more water and have more satisfaction/fun while doing it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    jolecr wrote: »
    HI there, I am really struggling to eat the amount of food for my daily1,200 calorie intake. I am not really a meat eater and carbs tend to bload me out. help !!!! any advice would be much appreciated of how to bulk up my calorie intake would juicing be an ideal option ?
    thank you
    joan

I second all the questions.

Also: Juice is almost entirely carbs . . . predominantly sugars, if we're talking a lot of fruit juices. If "carbs tend to bloat you out" then juicing would not likely be an ideal option. Even veggie juices get most of their calories from carbs, typically.

Others have given some good suggestions: Dairy foods, nuts, nut butters, avocados, non-meat protein sources (tofu, seitan unless you're also gluten-averse, etc.).

• jolecr
    jolecr Posts: 3 Member
    yes...... I am trying to lose weight ,I am an extra 10kg since last June having had my thryoid taken out - with the information asked and entered into my fitness pal I was given daily calorie intake as 1,200. I am weighing my food out and following the calorie charts, controlling that I don't go over the carbs, fats , proteins etc.
    Could be that ,before , I ate less but certainly more pasta and cheese and less vegetables

• gaiaresurrected
    gaiaresurrected Posts: 26 Member
    I had the same question, but didn't want to ask, because everyone I've ever known 'on a diet' has complained about being hungry, or too many foods being 'off limits'.

I have no appetite, so I'm pretty much forcing myself to eat 3 proper meals a day, before, I was just grazing, I'm almost a month in, and sure the pattern will stick with repetition. The issue I have is coming to the evening, not being hungry, and realising I still have 500 calories left to use up, a heavy meal in the evening doesn't suit me, need to sort out my planning, possibly prep some meals in advance so I know what my range is.

My macro balance is out of whack, I'm sensitive to processed carbs, but still have lots of complex carbs from vegetables- I'm going to look at my Low FODMAP book again, and see how that sits with calorie counting.

There must be a better way than loading tortilla chips and mayo onto my evening meal, to 'make up' calories!
  • southkonahi
    southkonahi Posts: 137 Member
    edited April 2021
    Maybe make something healthful and hearty, that is filling but also can have some extra calories added to it (since you say you are coming up short on calories). You'll need to figure out what foods you do well with, then add some calories.

My example might not work for you (since you don't do well with carbs/meat), but it gives the general idea. Such as, yummy homemade chili with chicken. (My last recipe came out to 250 cal/cup.) If you sprinkle on 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, you'll be around 375 calories. You want it to be filling, so that you are not hungry later, and then eat again, and end up over-caloried. Good luck on identifying the "right foods" for your own digestive system, and things to add for extra calories.

If you are asking for healthful foods that are higher calories, how about avocado, humus, peanut butter..... those all fit into a daily diet when used in moderation..... but you could use them as "additions" for extra calories on top of your regular daily intake.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    yes...... I am trying to lose weight ,I am an extra 10kg since last June having had my thryoid taken out - with the information asked and entered into my fitness pal I was given daily calorie intake as 1,200. I am weighing my food out and following the calorie charts, controlling that I don't go over the carbs, fats , proteins etc.
    Could be that ,before , I ate less but certainly more pasta and cheese and less vegetables

Many people treat the fat and protein numbers as MINIMUMS. If you're trying to lose weight, that is determined by your calorie intake. The macros are for nutrition and if you find it easier to eat more fat or protein, then you can do that (unless you've received medical guidance to the contrary).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    There must be a better way than loading tortilla chips and mayo onto my evening meal, to 'make up' calories!

Plan your day and allow more cals earlier. Often people get really restrictive early on and think they must avoid anything caloric (like added oil or cheese or even nuts and seeds), and also cut carbs and end up eating just meat and veg or some such. That might be super filling for a while, but it can be easy to burn out/get really hungry all of a sudden. I was undereating and didn't realize it until I started logging at MFP, and then I loosened up and started using some olive oil (rather than just vinegar) in salads, adding in nuts and seeds, using olive oil in cooking and a little cheese in salads and omelets.

Just figure out a way to add an earlier snack or build up the earlier meals some.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

It's fine to go over any of the macros, although at 1200 you will want to eat at least the minimum protein.

With only 10 kg to lose, 1 kg/week would be an overly aggressive goal, also, as others have said.

Have you changed your diet dramatically? Are you cutting out foods or being very restrictive in what you can eat?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,281 Member
    If you have an eating disorder and are underweight.. you need to find a counselor to help you meet. your calorie goals. If you are overweight and trying to lose weight? How did you get overweight to begin with if eating a mere 1200 calories is a struggle?
  • jolecr
    jolecr Posts: 3 Member
    no eating disorder, 62 years of age so appetite over the last couple of years has become less, no swimming since lockdown which hasn't helped but main weight and centimetre gain since removal of thyroid and the thyroid medication 9 months ago.
    Exercise was mainly in the pool for 3 hours for 5 days , large fresh juice when I got home with hemp protein powder, wheatgrass and spirulina as a replacement for the evening meal.

• gunshowgreg
    gunshowgreg Posts: 169 Member
    edited May 2021

I don't think your macros are of any real concern at this point. aim to get 1200 calories and leave it at that ( i would try for more proteins though since it is so little )

what foods do you like?

also as others may have asked if you are over weight why is 1200 calories an issue to consume and if anything you should still be losing weight then (even if it is muscle)

btw i use this calculator https://tdeecalculator.net/ it works pretty good for me. this isn't to confuse you with your current plan its just another piece of data. just remember every couple of weeks go back and redo the calculations to adjust for your losses (you should be lighter and your body needs less calories) you might be ok eating a little more and still lose weight
  • g2renew
    g2renew Posts: 145 Member
    edited May 2021
    @jolecr We are close in age:-). Looking at your posts, I wonder if you have enough variety to keep your food intake interesting enough for you. Sometimes-especially as we get older, 'food boredom' equals appetite loss. Eating foods, rather than drinking them, provide us with some nutritional benefits we cannot get from juicing. My suggestion would be to not add 'junk, processed foods' back in your diet. We aim to eat healthfully- no matter our size. Maybe start seeing if you can get out of the rut by concentrating on whole, clean foods and eating variety for at least one of your meals.

As an example: you say you enjoyed more pasta 'before'. Pasta can be part of a healthy diet for those of us who do not have gluten-issues. Adding good proteins and fats and veg to your pasta can certainly give you a good start to getting enough calories while eating well. A recipe with 558 cal per serving is here- https://www.sargento.com/recipes/dinner/chicken-and-vegetable-parmesan-pasta/ It uses skim milk, that you could sub heavy cream for to get additional calories. There are other veg that you can add for visual and taste interest. Chopped egg and/or nuts can almost always be added for more nutrient value and interest. There are lots of different nuts to choose from.

If you wanted a cold pasta salad, you can do tuna, chicken, steak, ham, or shrimp for protein. Add pasta, grated cheese of your choice and colorful, crisp ray veg of your choice. Chopped boiled egg and nuts, and a fruit- like grapes, pineapple, chopped apple can add interest, too. With mayo (or olive oil and lemon for those who don't 'like' mayo or do not know what it is made from:-) ) as a binder, some salt and pepper or other seasonings, you will find it very hard to get under 400 cal per serving. Topping with avocado will give you more healthy fat and increase calories.

Try a protein whip, fluff, or smoothie for a meal -or dessert . It can be made with protein powder and fresh or frozen fruits. There are some recipes on MFP. Apple slices with a natural nut butter can be rolled in chopped nuts or seeds for a treat. This will be an almost 400 calorie treat, depending on amounts and types.

-Another thought: Sometimes lack of appetite is caused by other things-like medications and/or depression. This has been a tough year. You have had thyroid surgery and been working at losing weight on top of all of the world issues we have faced. Tell your doctor about your lack of appetite, please. We are both still on the young side of life! Wishing you the best:-)