Strengthen and Rebalance Right Shoulder

A Little Background Information

I decided to sign up for a gym membership at Planet Fitness. I performed two exercises: push ups and pull up. While performing the exercises, I experienced discomfort on my right shoulder. I feel as though my right shoulder is limiting my exercises. My left shoulder is higher than my right shoulder. I have issues with coordination with my right shoulder.

Look at the attached photo

Is there any exercises that will balance and strengthen my right shoulder? Or Would surgery be a better option?

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    I don't see an attached photo but jumping straight to surgery seems extreme. How about consulting a doctor or PT?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,972 Member
    Seconding the "consult a professional" idea (and the average trainer at Planet Fitness is not expert enough for this). I went through a phase where I first felt weaker on one side (shoulder), then literally would drop the weight in certain dumbbell exercises. It turned out to be a shoulder nerve impingement, for which I needed physical therapy. (And that PT advised me *not* to do certain specific upper body exercises in the future, as well, though there are a wide range I *can* do). If you just felt weaker on one side, it might truly be a strength imbalance, especially if the weaker side were your non-dominant side. However, with the difference in shoulder height in the picture . . . I wouldn't take the risk of trying to power through it, personally, without having an expert assessment.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Third vote for seeing a physical therapist. I am unbalanced, too, with my left shoulder being the one that causes problems. I finished PT about a month ago and just last week had a cortisone shot there, and it is SO MUCH better and while it's still weaker than my right shoulder, doesn't really bother me anymore.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I have a shoulder issue too. Get an opinion from your doctor first. PT is a better route than surgery. Surgery should be the last resort.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I think everyone has slight imbalances, even if they are not aware of them. My shoulders aren't always even when I do rowing. I would bet it has a lot to do with the fact I broke my collarbone playing football in my youth and never got it fixed properly. It healed wrong -- docs discovered it years later.

I think the PT advice is spot on. I'd never do surgery unless I absolutely had no choice.
  • Alinouveau2
    Alinouveau2 Posts: 6,171 Member
    Get a professional opinion. I had a shoulder issue that eventually required surgery and my physio guy probably still a year and a half later would tell me to avoid push ups.

There's lots of exercises to strengthen the shoulders, I'm right now working in my scapular winging issues....seek medical help though, it's better than doing it yourself