Food Processor and Blender Recommendations

(Feel like making a new thread on this because the search results I was getting were at least five years old, so something new might be good for everybody.)

I've had a Ninja blender for the past seven or eight years, bought on clearance. I put it through a LOT - I don't typically make smoothies, but I have used it to grind meat, crush ice, blend soups, make breadcrumbs....a lot of things. One time I even used it to grind bonemeal for my garden, which was not very kind to the blades but still effective. But I don't think I'll do that again without something that's really meant for that purpose.

Anyway, I think I'd really like to get something very sturdy that will be used frequently. I have never owned or used a food processor before, but I gather some of the things I have used my blender for would be better suited to a processor. It could save me some work with things I currently shred or grate by hand. I'm used to inheriting others' used appliances or picking up good deals at the thrift store, and just making it work. But I can invest in something good that will last a long time with proper care. Easy cleaning and the ability to repair or replace parts are bonuses.

Do I want one appliance that can do both, or should I have two separate? I'm willing to have space for two small appliances if I'm using them both.

I'm grateful for any input!

Replies

• tracybear86
    tracybear86 Posts: 163 Member
    I have this food processor and absolutely love it. It is not cheap but it is good quality and sturdy. The blades are extremely sharp so be careful!

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-DFP-14BCNY-Processor-Brushed-Stainless/dp/B01AXM4WV2

I also have a Vitamix blender which I also love but don't use quite as frequently (I don't really do smoothies much either). It is amazing for making soups and sauces though! You can put whole unsoaked cashews in and your end product will still come out smooth as silk unlike the food processor. It also blends at such a high speed if you use the right setting your soup or sauce will actually come out piping hot and ready to eat! Again, not cheap but good quality.
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    I've owned my trusty Blendtec for over 10 years. I use it very regularly. I love it! I appreciate that the blades are not sharp like my food processor which I raaarely use these days. The Twister Jar is a great addition to the original blending containers. I highly recommend it! Their customer service is awesome too. Look into it and see if it will serve your purposes.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I use a Cuisinart food processor and an Oster blender that are both about 40 years old. They work fine.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I got a combo Ninja blender/Food Processor when it was a really good price and seems to work pretty well.

However, what I've learned is that sometimes the cheap or no-name products work just as well (if not better) than the big-name brands. I've had a basic, cheap-o Black & Decker food processor that has lasted at least 15 years....longer than the "nice" one I got my hubby like 6 years ago. I also got a Chinese-brand smoothie blender called Aicook, and use it almost every day to make smoothies with greens, frozen stuff, etc.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    I'll second/third the Cuisinart food processor. I've used it to make breadcrumbs, salsa, even pie crust. Mine is a bit younger, I think I got it for Christmas about five years ago.
  • Priasmama416
    Priasmama416 Posts: 103 Member
    I have a cuisinart processor, black and decker blender, I'm glad they are separate. Also have a nutribullet
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Ive had my cuisinart food processor for almost 25 years. Love it.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    I have a Magimix Processor which has a lot of different attachments; there’s an insert for the main bowl that purées as fine as a high power blender, it has 3 different sized bowls/blade/whisk/dough hook combos, various grating and slicing discs, also a spiraliser attachment.

I do still use my blender/liquidiser for soups and some batters but do so out of habit as I think the processor with the fine purée insert is actually a better result.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I use my vitamix for eveeeeerything.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Ninjas are really the best. I would see if I could get a replacement Blade or just rebuy one