Monster Drinks or Diet Soda

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    Energy Drinks = Devil's Urine.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Err, honestly I just switched to 0-10calorie energy drinks because when I drop them I get tired and over eat. With that in mind I'd give up the diet soda. Or I'd switch to 5hr energy shots and quit both.

Fix your sleep patterns instead of relying on that stuff. You will feel much better.

I did and I gave up every form of caffeine for a year... I really hated it. After giving up mind altering substances, cigarettes, gluten, dairy and all fast food the energy drinks were my line and I'm personally okay with that. I have a vitamin B Deficiency though and they're loaded with it so I think there's definitely an extra allure to them for me.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2021
    Drop the energy drinks. You can get an entire 12 pack of diet soda for the price of a 4 pack of energy drinks.

I wouldn't be the slim person I am today without Coke Zero - it got me through until they released Dr. Pepper Zero. You can pry the Dr. Pepper Zero from my cold dead hands, I'll takeu the cellulite. For the record, I don't have cellulite - I was just thinking if Dr. Pepper Zero gives it to me, I'll take it.

I just have stretch marks. No cellulite, but stretch marks everywhere. Bodies do what bodies do.

Isn’t Dr Pepper Zero basically new ? I haven’t been able to find it anywhere

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Schila64 wrote: »
    Drop the energy drinks. You can get an entire 12 pack of diet soda for the price of a 4 pack of energy drinks.

I wouldn't be the slim person I am today without Coke Zero - it got me through until they released Dr. Pepper Zero. You can pry the Dr. Pepper Zero from my cold dead hands, I'll takeu the cellulite. For the record, I don't have cellulite - I was just thinking if Dr. Pepper Zero gives it to me, I'll take it.

I just have stretch marks. No cellulite, but stretch marks everywhere. Bodies do what bodies do.

Isn’t Dr Pepper Zero basically new ? I haven’t been able to find it anywhere

Uh yeah - let me tell you a story.

a couple of weeks ago I was walking past someone in a lawn chair at my kids soccer game and I saw the can. I asked - she said it was good it tasted like regular Dr. Pepper but slightly less sweet.

The next day I went grocery shopping and I bought some (found it at Kroger). It was everything she promised. I told my coworkers about it in our weekly meeting, got a coworker hooked.

The next weekend Walmart didn't have it in their online grocery, and Kroger did not fill mine in my online grocery order. I even went in the store and checked, none in stock. So I went to Walmart on the way home from picking up my Kroger order, they had a few in stock.

This week I shopped in person at Walmart and they had plenty in stock.

I love this stuff.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Err, honestly I just switched to 0-10calorie energy drinks because when I drop them I get tired and over eat. With that in mind I'd give up the diet soda. Or I'd switch to 5hr energy shots and quit both.

I second this as someone who NEVER thought I'd be able to function without my morning AND afternoon coffee. I loved my coffee, and my once-a-week Starbucks.

I'm on an elimination diet for food sensitivities, and those first few days were BAD. I was actually quite upset about having to give up coffee. However, 3 weeks in I really do have a lot more energy, and it's lot more steady without those energy dips that caffeine can help create. I never thought I"d actually admit to that, either. Once I'm allowed to have coffee again, I know I am definitely cutting back, maybe switch to decaf or not make it a daily habit anymore.

Just an anecdotal FYI

I switched coffee for decaf. I sleep better, evened out the energy highs and lows.
    But since I could drink it at night, too, I found myself drinking so much I had to get up at night to use the bathroom. Darn! Still can’t drink all I want
    at night!

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't think diet sodas are particularly harmful to begin with...I get way too wired with energy drinks though and my heart goes all over the place.

IMO, a diet soda is pretty benign. I have a Coke Zero pretty much everyday with my lunch and make mocktail drinks in the evening with zero sugar ginger beer.

100% this for me. I have a hard time with strong doses of caffeine...Energy drink and Cold Brews are generally a no for me. I also drink one Coke Zero daily and do not think diet sodas are harmful, outside of the possible caffeine some of them have (and that's strictly for me, not saying caffeine is bad for everyone). I know some people like to give artificial sweeteners a boogey man rap, though.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2021

I don't have a source. I can only speak from personal experience. Back in 2017 I decided to get very strict about what I ate. Besides working out, I was eating healthy, nutritious food. Stayed away from processed ones. One of the things I did, was cut cold turkey diet sodas. Well I got great results and my cellulite just disappear. That was then. 2020 Covid brought a lot of bad habits back. One is the Diet Coke and diet dr. pepper, and of course the cellulite. Probably the fading of the cellulite was a combination of a lot of things. That is why I believe that Diet Sodas are a huge factor when it comes to cellulite.

The issue with individual anecdotal experience is that it is awfully hard to root cause that way and there are plenty of people who have different experiences. I regularly drink diet soda, have for years, and cellulite is not a problem for me. So if you're using anecdotal experience to determine that it is a definite cause of cellulite, what do you make of my experience.

You also say that Covid brought back "a lot of bad habits." If you have changed a lot of things, why would you tie cellulite to this specific change?

I'm not saying this to convince you to drink diet soda. You shouldn't drink anything unless you want to drink it. It's just that I think the causes of cellulite are probably more complex than that.

Same here. I had (and still have, to some degree) a decent amount of cellulite. I've also gone through periods like now, where I drink a diet soda every single day, and other times where I've sworn off the sodas for years. My cellulite didn't change until I started losing weight and working out.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member

[/quote]

Uh yeah - let me tell you a story.

a couple of weeks ago I was walking past someone in a lawn chair at my kids soccer game and I saw the can. I asked - she said it was good it tasted like regular Dr. Pepper but slightly less sweet.

The next day I went grocery shopping and I bought some (found it at Kroger). It was everything she promised. I told my coworkers about it in our weekly meeting, got a coworker hooked.

The next weekend Walmart didn't have it in their online grocery, and Kroger did not fill mine in my online grocery order. I even went in the store and checked, none in stock. So I went to Walmart on the way home from picking up my Kroger order, they had a few in stock.

This week I shopped in person at Walmart and they had plenty in stock.

I love this stuff.[/quote]

I have no idea where I saw it advertise but I have not been able to find it anywhere .

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I despise all artificial sweeteners (and stevia) so do not consume them, yet have cellulite.
  • ChickenKillerPuppy
    ChickenKillerPuppy Posts: 297 Member
    Why do you "need" to get rid of diet soda? I only ask because I have actually added one diet soda (Diet Dr. Brown's Cream Soda which is caffeine free) every day and it's enhanced my life greatly and I have not only continued to maintain my weight, I have lost a little (I'm in maintenance). What is your reason for thinking you must do this? I ask earnestly - am I missing something? One 12oz can of diet soda a day really doesn't seem worth eliminating.

Caffeine drinks scare me so I have no opinion/comment on the Monster stuff.
  • moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    If you had to get rid of one , which one is the least harmful ? I’ve been drinking at least one diet soda per day . I need to stop and thinking that if I need that fizz I would go for a monster drink . Your thoughts!

I would actually go for the every drinks to keep! Lots of them have much more nutrients infused in them (ie b vitamins, taurine) and they really help me focus in the gym and decrease appetite.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Not the OP, but I had to give up diet pop because it was an extreme trigger food for me. The sweet taste in my mouth made me crave sweets and the acidic nature of the drink upset my stomach unless I ate something with it. When I stopped the diet pop I lost a few pounds of water weight immediately thereafter. It has been over a year and I drink unsweetened tea and water and have greatly reduced my sweet cravings and lost weight.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member

You telling me, that you never used the Devil's Lettuce?
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »

I'm thinking the devil's lettuce is better from a health standpoint than the Devil's urine.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited May 2021
    psychod787 wrote: »

I'm thinking the devil's lettuce is better from a health standpoint than the Devil's urine.

fair enough, but I think I am going to have to steal the name, "The Devils Urine", for the home made preworkout I make
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited May 2021
    Most energy drinks have added stimulants besides caffeine so I would limit them. Caffeine in moderation is fine. The main negative about soda is the harm it does to your teeth. Black/green tea or coffee would be even better if you like them since they also have antioxidants.