Weight has been static for six weeks

angielou1
angielou1 Posts: 4 Member
Hi could someone advise me please? I’m on 1200 calories a day and lost 5lbs to start with but for the last six weeks I’ve lost nothing. I’ve been walking 5-6 miles three to four times a week and not eating the calories burned. I drink lots of water (don’t like tea or coffee) and log everything I eat, most recipes are PON recipes so healthy and low calorie, but the weight nor measurements are moving. Should I drop calories per day, any advice please?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    People can't see your food diary - if you made it public that would take away a lot of the guesswork.

People also don't know anything about you beyond that you are female and trying to lose weight - some context about yourself would be very helpful.
  • angielou1
    Hi thank you for your advice/reply, I have now made my food diary public. I am 62 years old, 5ft 4inches and currently weigh 10stone 10lbs. I am retired on health grounds but like to go walking including uphill hikes, I also garden quite a bit. I do all the housework and cook all the meals (all low calorie healthy meals). My treat is a skinny bar calories range from 75-95 calories. I don’t eat breakfast very often as I don’t like eating in a morning and I’m not hungry either, sometimes I’ll eat fruit first thing but not always. I came up with 1200 calories by using tdee calculator and deducting 500 calories for weight loss. Any advice would be gratefully received.
  • angielou1
    Everything is weighed including recipes I make. If anything I under weigh rather than over but only a few grams nothing dramatic. I don’t snack apart from a skinny bar mid afternoon but not always. I eat lunch that I prepare either home made soups or lean beef sandwich and I don’t use any spread, evening meals are usually pinch of nom recipes and the my fitness pal app usually calculates the meals higher than the recipe says but I use the apps calculation. The dessert I make is a slimming world recipe which I input into the app and it’s worked out the calories. This morning I had nothing apart from water, lunch time I had two slices of wholemeal bread and bacon dry fried fat taken off prior to cooking and used no added sugar/salt ketchup instead of spread plus a skinny bar. Dinner tonight will be PON pizza pasta left over from last night. The recipe is for four my partner has a quarter, I have one then half is left for tonight. After that we will have the slimming world dessert and low fat aerosol cream which will be below 1200 calories. I often don’t eat the full 1200 as I’m not hungry. So I’m at a loss as to why I’m not losing anything. My partner is losing weight really well which is annoying considering I cook the meals!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    I noticed that on several days you log things, such as your bread, as 0 grams. So 0 calories. Are you eating the bread?

And if you're eating below 1200 because you're already full, and still not losing... then I really do think your calculations are off.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    If you are not eating the full 1200 calories "because you are not hungry" but are also exercising then that would suggest you are in fact eating more than 1200 calories.

The fact you have not lost any weight for 6 weeks on 1200 minus exercise also suggests you are eating more calories than you are accounting for.

That is the brutal truth - sorry. :/
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Hi angielou1,

you're not very heavy and a bit older. Weight loss will likely be rather small for you. That's something important to remember. Over what period of time did you lose 5lbs? Did you change your workout programme during the last 6 weeks? What about drinking calories, like tea with milk, or anything else you might have forgotten to log?
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    I would say you aren't weighing things. It looks like you have a lot of "1 medium", and all your grams are even numbers, and some look like they were just taken off the packaging and not really weighed for accuracy. Bread for example, can weigh a lot more than it states on the package, which increases the calories. I also agree with posters above that you are eating a lot more than you think you are due to not weighing things properly.
  • angielou1
    The only thing I haven’t weighed is the bread I’ve just done it as two slices rather than the weight. If there is a negative on something it’s because I’ve changed my mind and not had it, I can’t see how you delete it so I put it as 0 (nil) . I DO weigh everything and I DO log everything I am eating. I’m not going to ‘cheat’ as that’s not going to solve anything is it? I came on here for support and advice not to be accused of not being entirely truthful with what I’m eating it would be rather pointless if I were
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    There are a few foods logged with 0 servings and 0 calories. For example, on Tuesday 27: PON Mexican Rice, H.w. Nevill's Wholemeal Bread and Asda - Light Instant Hot Chocolate. Just Add Hot Water. Correct, 0 Heaped tsp 11gm in 200mls hot water.

A portion of PON Mexican rice is about 223 cals, one slice of Nevill's is about 78 cals, and the Asda chocolate drink about 42 cals per serving. So, about 385 cals not accounted just for that day.

If I was you, I'd weight all that salted caramel spread, cream, parmesan cheese, etc. with an electronic scale instead of a spoon.

b952b15td0ep.jpg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,541 Member
    edited May 2021
    Today I shared some green beans with my dad.

800g frozen green beans out of a 750g package
    504g crushed tomatoes
    55g onion
    10g garlic
    13g avocado oil
    8g lemon pepper
    5g Knorr veggie/mushroom powder
    17g sriracha
    9g brown sugar

Yield was 1153g after cooling

I ate 713g with 61g of white minute rice and 3.5g of Knorr veggie/mushroom powder

Each database entry was verified or at the very least sanity checked: 13g of avocado oil spray are not 0 Cal even if the box says 0 Cal for 1/8 of a second spray, and lemon pepper and other spices are also not zero cal either....

I am logging loosely these days so lemon pepper was used to log all the dried spices I used even when they weren't lemon pepper! 😇
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    angielou1 wrote: »
    The only thing I haven’t weighed is the bread I’ve just done it as two slices rather than the weight. If there is a negative on something it’s because I’ve changed my mind and not had it, I can’t see how you delete it so I put it as 0 (nil) . I DO weigh everything and I DO log everything I am eating. I’m not going to ‘cheat’ as that’s not going to solve anything is it? I came on here for support and advice not to be accused of not being entirely truthful with what I’m eating it would be rather pointless if I were

OP, I'm sorry if you've felt attacked in our replies. You said something seemed wrong, we're giving ideas for where you could be going wrong. I'm very similar in height and weight with you and when I eat 1200 calories a day the weight FALLS off. Too fast. I eat closer to 1400-1600 a day for a steady loss. If you are really eating less than 1200, not feeling hungry, and not losing for several weeks, then I would take a closer look at your numbers. Your weights could be correct and the database choices could be incorrect.