Struggling šŸ˜•

amioc
amioc Posts: 175 Member
edited May 2021 in Getting Started

I have been trying to loose weight now for 3 years. My goal is to go from a uk size 10 to a uk size 8 without having to squeeze into them šŸ˜• so probably need to loose around 12lbs ish maybe a bit less.
My problem is I donā€™t stick to anything. Iā€™ll loose like 6lbs and then gain it all back sometimes more. I canā€™t stick to healthy eating for long. Food is definitely my biggest problem. I joined the gym a year and a half ago and loved it but since COVID hit I havenā€™t been much at all because of lockdowns. I couldnā€™t get in to the whole exercise at home. Iā€™m really struggling mentally because I hate to way I look and the past few summers Iā€™ve felt so uncomfortable and I promise myself that next summer I will be at my goal but it never happened šŸ˜•. Is there time to get near my goal by June?
So Iā€™m hoping to get advice and tips as to how anybody started out on there journey? How much did you cut out in the beginning? How do you still manage to maintaining/loosing weight?
Iā€™d be so grateful to anyone that could help me ā˜ŗļø. Sorry for such a long post!
Ā«1345

Replies

• amioc
    edited May 2021

I have been trying to loose weight now for 3 years. My goal is to go from a uk size 10 to a uk size 8 without having to squeeze into them šŸ˜• so probably need to loose around 12lbs ish maybe a bit less.
    My problem is I donā€™t stick to anything. Iā€™ll loose like 6lbs and then gain it all back sometimes more. I canā€™t stick to healthy eating for long. Food is definitely my biggest problem. I joined the gym a year and a half ago and loved it but since COVID hit I havenā€™t been much at all because of lockdowns. I couldnā€™t get in to the whole exercise at home. Iā€™m really struggling mentally because I hate to way I look and the past few summers Iā€™ve felt so uncomfortable and I promise myself that next summer I will be at my goal but it never happened šŸ˜•. Is there time to get near my goal by June?
    So Iā€™m hoping to get advice and tips as to how anybody started out on there journey? How much did you cut out in the beginning? How do you still manage to maintaining/loosing weight?
    Iā€™d be so grateful to anyone that could help me ā˜ŗļø. Sorry for such a long post!
  • amioc
    edited May 2021
  • kathyrunsfast
    kathyrunsfast Posts: 7,035 Member
    It can be easy to fall back into old habits after that initial loss. I refer to the last five pounds to lose as "the fighting weight" because it seems that last five is the one you really need to fight for!

You could make it a bit easier by avoiding flour and sugar. Those two devils cause a lot of food issues because they are easy to overeat.

Sounds like what you were doing works. Get back to it and set a goal on the calendar. Write it in so you commit to it. Hopefully you are still FREE to power walk or do an exercise video on youtube. Popsugar has some great workouts on youtube.

That being said eating well is 80% of the battle! Get back to it and good luck! You can do it!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,462 Member
    Have you tried calorie counting? Itā€™s a whole set of things to do. But before you get into that maybe consider another way.

Look at what you usually eat. Is there something that you can cut that would eliminate 100 calories per day? If you can find that and maybe a bit more exercise you can probably lose 12 lbs if you are willing to give it enough time.

If you brain is screaming that you want this ASAP stop and think about the roll that thinking plays in keeping you where you are. A 100 calorie deficit per day would cut about 36000 calories in a year. At 3500 calories per lb thatā€™s over 10 lbs right there. No momentous struggle, no climbing the walls. Just 100 calories per day and time.

If you canā€™t find the 100 calories to cut, do some research. Get a food scale and start crunching numbers. If you still canā€™t get going, start a food diary. Log everything no matter what. Plan meals and weekly menus making small changes. The entire process changes for the better when you are willing to give it time to work.
  • denaleebell
    denaleebell Posts: 1 Member
    There are so many great suggestions here. I will add, sometimes accountability helps. You could hire a trainer or find a workout buddy. I would be happy to be your accountability partner. I need one as well. We could check in on each other?