Barbell "Form check"(e.g., Squats, Deadlift, Benching, Presses)

Replies

• knightmagic
    knightmagic Posts: 100 Member
    I will post my videos later today, just wanted to get a post in here so i can find this again. My body is more inclined to sumo style things because of my hips. I feel a better mind muscle connection when it comes to the way I lift. i'll make sure to add that to my post in case this one gets lost. Love seeing all the advice! I agree with you Chief every person is different so their forms will vary slightly person to person.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Help me lock this out, @chieflrg. 400 lb is my nemesis!

https://youtu.be/yu8b3-wbJok
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member

Soon enough. Have patience.

If I was your coach I might try a slightly more narrow foot position if you haven't recently and just see how that goes for 3-4 weeks.

Its possible if you had a singlet you might of got that. I see you were snagging your tights with right hand.

What rep/weight/volume are you performing the last cup months?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,481 Member
    Chieflrg wrote: »

If I was your coach I might try a slightly more narrow foot position if you haven't recently and just see how that goes for 3-4 weeks.

Its possible if you had a singlet you might of got that. I see you were snagging your tights with right hand.

I concur with the stance being a bit more narrow. But gotta say you rock it girl!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • quiksylver296

I’ve been following an old plan my trainer provided, before I lost my job and had to quit him.

Week 1 had deads on Day 1 (3x3 70%), Day 3 (3x1, RPE6) and Day 5, RDL (3x8 RPE6)

Week 2 - Day 1 (4x3 70%) Day 3 (3x1 RPE6) Day 5 RDL (3x8 RPE 6)

Week 3 - D1 4x4 70%, D3 4x1 RPE 6, D5 RDL 3x8 RPE6

Week 4 -D1 5x4 70%, other days same as W3

Week 5 - same as W4, but D3 added an AMRAP set

Week 6 - D1 5x3 70%, D3 5x1 RPE 6, D5 RDL 8x5 RPE 6

I’m on W7, and should probably admit I went for 1RM on a whim. I did have 4 days off from the gym unintentionally (snow days backed up to planned days off) prior to this attempt.
  • Chieflrg
    edited February 2021

I’ve been following an old plan my trainer provided, before I lost my job and had to quit him.

Week 1 had deads on Day 1 (3x3 70%), Day 3 (3x1, RPE6) and Day 5, RDL (3x8 RPE6)

Week 2 - Day 1 (4x3 70%) Day 3 (3x1 RPE6) Day 5 RDL (3x8 RPE 6)

Week 3 - D1 4x4 70%, D3 4x1 RPE 6, D5 RDL 3x8 RPE6

Week 4 -D1 5x4 70%, other days same as W3

Week 5 - same as W4, but D3 added an AMRAP set

Week 6 - D1 5x3 70%, D3 5x1 RPE 6, D5 RDL 8x5 RPE 6

I’m on W7, and should probably admit I went for 1RM on a whim. I did have 4 days off from the gym unintentionally (snow days backed up to planned days off) prior to this attempt.

Okay. Yeah, I would run your volume in a traditional ramping schedule instead. In my opinion that fatigue is building instead of allowing for higher intensity.

By no means am I stating its wrong without knowing your response to that training. I think there are avenues that would more than likely yeild much better results including 400@8-9 probably in the first two blocks.

What is your E1rm increases per block?

Do you have a meet in the near future?
  • quiksylver296
    No meet planned. I don’t know what E1rm increases per block means.
  • Chieflrg

Estimated one rep max per training block. How are you measuring your lifts are trending upwards?
  • quiksylver296

Estimated one rep max per training block. How are you measuring your lifts are trending upwards?

Just remembering, I guess. 355 used to feel like RPE 6. Now 365 does.
  • Chieflrg

365 for a single correct?
  • quiksylver296

365 for a single correct?

Yeah

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited March 2021
    @Chieflrg What do you think of my form on the trap bar deadlift? I haven't done this lift in 6 years, and I can't squat effectivly because of hip tightness. Just want to make sure i'm doing it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzA-iD0YpRc
  • Mellouk89
    Sorry for the double post but here I was lifting 170lbs, which is exactly my bodyweight. I couldve done a lot more but i want just want to familiarize myself with the exercise.
  • Chieflrg
    edited March 2021
    Mellouk89 wrote: »
    @Chieflrg What do you think of my form on the trap bar deadlift? I haven't done this lift in 6 years, and I can't squat effectivly because of hip tightness. Just want to make sure i'm doing it correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzA-iD0YpRc

Everything looks fine. A couple things I would polish is.

1. The beginning of your initial pull. You bend your arm and then start abruptly which could be described as "jolting". This over time could add unuseful stress to the joints and tendons. We correct this by straightening the arms and flexing the triceps.
    2. At the top of the pull I'd prefer to see you fully lockout instead of bouncing. A cue of "squeeze your quads and/or glutes" or "stand tall" might be useful.

Things to consider depending on your goals or preferences.

1. You can more than likely squat to depth. "Tightness" is a feeling and unless you have had recent trauma, we can almost always hit depth with appropriate weight on the barbell. This may or may not require many sets of air squats and/or empty barbell squats. Also adjustments of foot positioning for the individual can be extremely useful.
    2. You might consider turning the trapbar over with handles towards floor. This will allow for a greater ROM which is more beneficial.
    3. Resting the barbell completely after each rep. You are doing a touch and go style which isn't wrong, just easier because you are taking the hardest part of the lift out(breaking the floor). Both styles can be beneficial within a well written program depending on goals.
  • Mellouk89
    edited March 2021
    Yeah I just noticed the movement known as "jolting", no wonder I felt a lot of tensions in my elbows and forearms.

I will start doing this exercise with the low handle and see how that goes. Cause I don't think i'm ready for squats yet. My brother has the same problem, he has hip impingement. I don't know for sure what I have but I feel very tight in this region.

Resting the barbell is also something I will implement. It will be pretty darn close to a squat at this point.

• Chieflrg
    edited March 2021
    Yeah I just noticed the movement known as "jolting", no wonder I felt a lot of tensions in my elbows and forearms.

I will start doing this exercise with the low handle and see how that goes. Cause I don't think i'm ready for squats yet. My brother has the same problem, he has hip impingement. I don't know for sure what I have but I feel very tight in this region.

Resting the barbell is also something I will implement. It will be pretty darn close to a squat at this point.

Unless you have aspirations to compete, squats are not necessary for resistance training.

That being said there are variations that can be used(e.g., bulgarians, step ups, lunges, etc).

Can you air squat to depth ot sit on a toilet unassisted? If so, I would start with the same foot width and play with the toe angle.

• Mellouk89

Unless you have aspirations to compete, squats are not necessary for resistance training.

That being said there are variations that can be used(e.g., bulgarians, step ups, lunges, etc).

Can you air squat to depth ot sit on a toilet unassisted? If so, I would start with the same foot width and play with the toe angle.

I can do that, it's not very easy though. It's easier when I raise my arms in front of my body. I was looking for ways to improve hip flexibility. What's the best way to increase flexibility in your opinion?
  • Chieflrg
    edited March 2021

I can do that, it's not very easy though. It's easier when I raise my arms in front of my body. I was looking for ways to improve hip flexibility. What's the best way to increase flexibility in your opinion?

By practicing/training what you want to improve in. Nothing will improve better than specificity of the movement itself.

Want to hit depth on a squat, then train squats at a intensity you can hit depth.

The very rare occasion that a lifter can't hit depth after adjusting foot position and toe angle, then start at a depth with the goal to improve over time.

Feel free to post a video of you squatting at depth or close as you can to depth. Even if it's only body weight or empty barbell. I'm confidant I can get you at depth.
  • gregoryrosen
    gregoryrosen Posts: 9 Member
    Anyone here involved/ interested in power lifting regiments?
    Trying to figure out a good rep scheme for determining 1 or 3RMs
    Been doing a warmup then
    10,8,6,3,1,1,1...and so on based on %
    Rest increasing as reps decrease
    Can post some squats Saturday since this IS form discussion.
    Current squat 1rm @ 480
    Goal of 600 by 2022
  • Chieflrg
    Anyone here involved/ interested in power lifting regiments?
    Trying to figure out a good rep scheme for determining 1 or 3RMs
    Been doing a warmup then
    10,8,6,3,1,1,1...and so on based on %
    Rest increasing as reps decrease
    Can post some squats Saturday since this IS form discussion.
    Current squat 1rm @ 480
    Goal of 600 by 2022

I encourage you to read the first post as "Form" is not capable of being defined universally therefore it doesn't exist.

I can critique your technique though if you are talking of a max effort, we certainly expect break down of technique and therefore break down more than likely will show that not necessarily need to be addressed as muscles motors become fully fatigued during a lift other muscles will compensate. This doesn't mean you did anything worth noting.

Rep schemes are up to the individual and what they have adapted to for a proper warm up. Though my default for myself and many of my lifters is sonething of the following for the target max you listed. This is assuming you want to have 100% exertion which I don't recommend during training but for example purposes here we are...

3 Rep squats
    Empty bar 5-10 reps for 2-5 sets
    135 × 3
    225 × 3
    315 × 3
    405 × 3
    445 × 3

Single Rep squat
    135 × 4
    224 × 4
    315 × 4
    405 × 1 or 2
    445 × 1
    465 × 1
    480-490 × 1

Also assuming you are going to increase your squat by 25% in eight months might be a bit of a over reach to say the least unless you just started lifting in the past couple months.

If you want a useful critique I again refer you to the first post on guidelines for a useful submission.