WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2021

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2021
    Walgreens and the county health officials were early sources for vaccinations here. We chose Pfizer at Walgreens. My friend who owns Arrow went through the county program. All vaccinations were cost free for those getting them.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,385 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Thanks for starting the new month, Barbie.

Heather-Your cauliflower pie looks delicious! I’m always trying to find new ways to make cauliflower.

Kelly-Your son’s trip looks fantastic. I would love to take a trip alone. I like having someone to share adventures with, but I think a solitude trip can be very “healing.”

Annie-Glad your parents are OK, but too bad about the car. However, get that bike out and go! When I didn’t have a car, I got places with my bike, my feet/legs, and an occasional ride share. I was in the best shape of my life.

So many of you have lost weight over the past couple of months. Congrats to you all! It’s hard to do, but so rewarding when it happens.

Penny-I love the photos. Someday, I will make it to Norway. I had a friend in high school from Oslo. He always told me to let him know when I was headed there and he’d meet me and give me tours of the country. Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago (at 42).

Rebecca-My mister does’t like visiting my family either. I have given up trying to get him to be part of it and gave up asking him to go with me to visit.

Retiring-My grandfather told me that everyone should have a plan before retiring or they will go nuts with boredom. He retired at 62 and lived to 97. He was bored a lot, even though he got out of the house and kept fairly active every summer. Winters were terrible for him. I’d rather work part time and have hobbies than be bored all the time. I’m still working on my hobbies. I was always so busy that I never had time to figure out what I liked to do for fun. Now, I have time and I am still struggling with that.

Machka-What a horrible experience with hot flashes. Mine are not nearly that severe, but they are bothersome. I don’t get the nausea, needles, or anything. I just feel hot at my core. I don’t have them when exercising either and if I feel one come on and I move, it goes away. So far, I think the low protein thing is working so will stick with it for a while longer. I don’t drink my coffee hot either. I have the temp set to 128F/53.3C in my cup and that’s not room temp, but it’s not hot. I have one coffee a day, most of the time. I am starting to appreciate cold food now. I have never preferred it before. Do they ever end or do women have to deal with them forever???

I ate terribly yesterday. I was making food for the “boys” to take on the boat today and that included (but was not limited to) coleslaw, fresh bagels, and cookies. So, that’s what I snacked on all day long. I hate having to watch what I eat, but the knee is still in terrible shape so I have to watch my intake. I thought it was fine, as I had no pain on Thursday. I went for a 2.5 mile walk yesterday and now it’s grumbling, loudly at me.

I have zero motivation to do anything outside the house. I considered going to the farmer’s market, but that means walking and I am afraid of further annoying my knee; plus I’d just spend money. I thought about a bike ride, but I just don’t feel it. I don’t want to bake, because then I’ll eat. Maybe I’ll go wetsuit shopping anyway to get an idea of what I want, although I’m not sure we will be taking the trip this summer after all. If not, I won’t need it.

Ok, end of my book. Hope you all are having a wonderful day.

Tina in CA

Yeah, that's how I kind of feel too. If they haven't really meshed by now in the 36 years we've been married, its never going to happen. I will just see how it all plays out. It might just be my middle sister coming to get me from my mother in-laws. And that's perfectly ok. I need my middle sister to get vaccinated though, because my eldest sister wants everyone to be. Should I wait until my eldest sister sends out the group messenger post to all the family, to tell my middle sister to get vaccinated? Its hard to know. I don't want to pressure my middle sister.
    Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    UPDATE

Zwift bike trainer-26.21min, 18.3amph, 213elev, 135ahr, 162mhr, 8.04mi= 279c
    Strava app = 164c
    Walk w/family- 2hrs 4min 9sec, 135elev, 3.39ap, 100ahr, 160mhr, 7.03mi= 727c
    Strava app = 851c
    Other- 1hr 8min 20sec, removing, moving pavers, pressure washing some, 94ahr, 119mhr= 317c

TOTAL CAL 1323
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,636 Member
    Just watched the Kentucky Derby
    A ton of people and 99% not wearing masks..
    Nope,much safer watching on TV.
    Went up to Carolyns for dinner and it was 3 of us rather than 5 ,Lil has decided that Saterday night dinner club on the second floor is better than our usual group so thats fine and Trudy went over to the polish club to watch the derby..
    My attorneys daughter is moving her foot a bit,so there is hope ..
  • Katla49
    Allie: I'm glad you were able to watch the Kentucky Derby. I didn't even think about it being on TV. :flowerforyou:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    B)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,956 Member
    Yes! Made it through the day under calories! That's day one.

Annie in Delaware
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    <3
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Did Ultimatae Weight Training & Cardio DVD today. Really, it’s more pilates. This was a new one for me so I didn’t know. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Pilates Yoga Cardio DVD

Tina CA – when I have a hot flash, one thing I find helps is I put one of those small containers of applesauce (the 4oz ones) in the freezer. When I have a hot flash, I will eat this. Like ice cream, only less calories. Also, I take grapes and freeze them.

Penny – you always post such beautiful and interesting pictures of your home.

Heather – I’m so happy for you getting to visit with Bea in person

I have high hopes for doing some of the jigsaw puzzle, going for a walk probably to Food Lion who has spaghetti sauce on sale and stringing more popcorn since it isn’t windy here today. Church tonight Update: told Vince he'd better hurry and get the puzzle for Jess and Colby.

Jess called and asked Vince to send something to her then she asked me to send her some snacks. She liked what I sent in her Easter basket. Really, I hate to send chips, etc. but that’s what she wants. I did make brownies (like your recipe Heather) for her and I’ll make oatmeal raisin cookies for Colby tomorrow. Then I need to go to the store for things for her.

Anne DE – I hope the accident wasn’t your father’s fault. At least they have your mother’s car and biking! How wonderful! Can you bike to the grocery store etc. Good for you getting back on the bandwagon.

Walked to Food Lion and came home with 4 jars of spaghetti sauce (good sale) and some pork spare ribs. Steve will be here the 24th so we can have them when he’s here. Hope they’re good

Vince wants to cut the grass (weeds) tomorrow so looks like I’ll get my steps in

The brownies burned. I have no idea why. So I’m making a second batch. Surely can’t send Jess burned brownies.

Rebecca – I keep meaning to ask you. Do you need any colored envelopes? I have a lot from cards that I sent two in an envelope etc. so I have a lot. Can you use them?

Allie – make sure you are comfortable with whatever you and Tom decide for when he retires. Remember, it was HIM who had the affair. Listen to oakie, she sure has it right. Don’t let him take advantage of your big heart! You’re not going to lose what you have to an attorney

Betsy – have a great trip.

Vince got lights to illuminate the steps to the pool so we went outside to see where they should be located. I think we have it

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,
    I haven’t been really good about sharing and commenting.
    I have gotten both vaccine shots and May 8th with be my 14th day past shot and I will then consider myself “fully vaccinated” And I am finding it hard to get through this next transition. The transition to masks and social distancing was hard; but living in California was helpful as I was comfortable with masks, distancing, and staying home; and most of my circle were doing the same. But in the last week, I have been “bullied” by 3 folks none of them in my close circle of friends but folks that I have not seen in a year.
    An example: My garden club is “ready” to get together again, and I am not up for bigger groups, tomorrow is a garden tour about 75 folks wandering through 5 of the members gardens – of the 5 gardens chosen are small with only one exit/entry
    I am not attending, and the coordinator realized that I was not signed up, and decided it was appropriate to text me all the reasons I was being ridiculous. I can stand up for myself, but why can’t the statement, “I am not comfortable in doing this, so I will not be attending” just be enough….
    Yet there are things I am ready to do; my best girl friend and I decided to do a short vacation and spilt the costs as our Christmas gifts to each other. So last week that is what we did, we went to Aptos (a costal town just south of Santa Cruz) stayed 2 nights in an Airbnb and walked miles on the beaches, ate great food – all sea food and wine! Fish tacos, calamari, shrimp stuffed artichokes, grilled albacore sandwiches!!!! And took a boat tour of the Elk Horn Slough which has 4% of the world population of endangered southern sea otters – so darn cute and it is the time of year that the otters and seals have babies and we saw dozens of babies of each type
    Welcome to the newbies, best wishes to all! Sorry for such a long post.
    Smiles, Kim in Northern California

Just point them to what's going on in India right now ... see snippet of article in spoiler ...

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/this-double-mutant-variant-is-adding-fuel-to-indias-covid-19-crisis
    "Human behavior is probably more to blame for the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic than the new mutants arising around the country. But the combination of these two is proving catastrophic.

Every day for a whole week, India has reported an average of 340,000 new coronavirus cases; on Wednesday deaths exceeded 3,300. Many experts suspect that numbers could be even higher. The country now accounts for one in every three infections reported worldwide daily.

“The major factor in the spread of the virus is the behavior of the people. Spread of the virus is largely because of us not taking care of each other. Variants are just taking advantage of our carelessness,” says Rakesh Mishra, director of the Indian Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology.

This surge of COVID-19 cases comes three months after the Indian health minister announced "India has successfully contained the pandemic."" ...

And more.

Machka in Oz

I'm sorry you were ridiculed, Kim. Our state just locked down to Extreme again because of the rise in cases/hospitalizations. Yesterday, I believe, we had the largest percentage gain of any state in the U.S. When people complain, I feel like just responding. "India."

To be fair, it is possible not everyone knows what's happening. Fox news online has yet to say one word about what is happening in India. I don't watch their broadcast, but I presume it is the same.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

The parents of a cousin's fiancee are in India ... and sick. I also have a number of friends and acquaintances from India.

I post about the India situation just about every day on FB because I feel like there isn't much awareness in some other parts of the world.

If it can happen there, it could happen elsewhere.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited May 2021
    Afteenoon Ladies
    Brought Dan back and forth to work and took Alfie to visit Tom and Elena..
    Tom out mowing the lawn..stopped to visit and on the way out he said we really need to talk about what his retirement and how we are going to work it out..
    I told him right now I am living on the alimony and it could be quite awhile before I hear from disability..
    He said he has to retire before he turns 70 which is a year from August..
    He like i said wants us both to live comfortably, but he is raking in the dough now. He did have to use some of his 401k to buy me out and had to refinance the house has to keep an insurance policy on himself in case something happens.
    But when he retires he will have a 1/4 of the income..
    I told him he could buy me out 109,200 but he said he doesn't have that..so somehow we have to come to a happy medium..
    I told him we need to get together and hash this out..

First talk to your lawyer. Tom is not your responsibility.

Okie- yes divorce is a legal binding document
    And I totally understand what your saying..
    I just dont want to lose what i have left to an attorney .he already has lawyered up he told me this months ago..
    And as you heard my attorneys daughter is in the childrens hospital and cant move her legs..
    I told him he could buy me out.but says he cant.. we shall see ,but i will not get raked over the coals for sure..
    I did that once ,I wont do it again.

Tell him he'll just have to wait until your lawyer is in a position to deal with the situation.

M in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,385 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Ultimatae Weight Training & Cardio DVD today. Really, it’s more pilates. This was a new one for me so I didn’t know. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Pilates Yoga Cardio DVD

Tina CA – when I have a hot flash, one thing I find helps is I put one of those small containers of applesauce (the 4oz ones) in the freezer. When I have a hot flash, I will eat this. Like ice cream, only less calories. Also, I take grapes and freeze them.

Penny – you always post such beautiful and interesting pictures of your home.

Heather – I’m so happy for you getting to visit with Bea in person

I have high hopes for doing some of the jigsaw puzzle, going for a walk probably to Food Lion who has spaghetti sauce on sale and stringing more popcorn since it isn’t windy here today. Church tonight Update: told Vince he'd better hurry and get the puzzle for Jess and Colby.

Jess called and asked Vince to send something to her then she asked me to send her some snacks. She liked what I sent in her Easter basket. Really, I hate to send chips, etc. but that’s what she wants. I did make brownies (like your recipe Heather) for her and I’ll make oatmeal raisin cookies for Colby tomorrow. Then I need to go to the store for things for her.

Anne DE – I hope the accident wasn’t your father’s fault. At least they have your mother’s car and biking! How wonderful! Can you bike to the grocery store etc. Good for you getting back on the bandwagon.

Walked to Food Lion and came home with 4 jars of spaghetti sauce (good sale) and some pork spare ribs. Steve will be here the 24th so we can have them when he’s here. Hope they’re good

Vince wants to cut the grass (weeds) tomorrow so looks like I’ll get my steps in

The brownies burned. I have no idea why. So I’m making a second batch. Surely can’t send Jess burned brownies.

Rebecca – I keep meaning to ask you. Do you need any colored envelopes? I have a lot from cards that I sent two in an envelope etc. so I have a lot. Can you use them?

Allie – make sure you are comfortable with whatever you and Tom decide for when he retires. Remember, it was HIM who had the affair. Listen to oakie, she sure has it right. Don’t let him take advantage of your big heart! You’re not going to lose what you have to an attorney

Betsy – have a great trip.

Vince got lights to illuminate the steps to the pool so we went outside to see where they should be located. I think we have it

Michele NC

Oh Michele, I can so use them! I wish I could send you something! Just name it👍💖
    Sorry your brownies burned.😳🙃😋. It happens.
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    😴
  • Katla49
    Machka: Thank you for 7 prayers for May. Each is appreciated. 🌹
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,786 Member
    <3
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,463 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: BP, dogs to powerline, found those torture bands, dusted and tidied a little in the office.
    Bonus: one load laundry, Shadow to dog group, found a do-able 17 min BB&B video.
    Get to do: take BP, dogs to powerline, USE those torture bands/do that BB&B video, church, budget meeting notes, board meeting minutes, call D re: sticky keyboard, Norton and windows updates, watch for refund from Interpath for Joe’s labs paid on Feb statement call S, fire district: ongoing: input 2019 call sheets into NFIRS, work with chief on equipment letter, substance abuse policy, NFIRS mutual aid and other missing details, call Credit union re: credit card, ask for boots donator contact info, appreciation letter or certificate to boots donator, index mutual aid files; watch STAS Day 20, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (Do Your Thing, Pure Movies to Wine, Beer, Whiskey, I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One Margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant the last of the naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove. Reconcile Joe’s EOB’s Thrivent shows only 2263.48 so far, next BGBS ask Terry about GB’s FD firetruck tax levy – contacts, media, advocate???, Reward: inventory seeds, plan this spring’s garden, wishlist replenishments (Milena F1 orange peppers).
    Meaningful May:
    1: Make a list of what matters most to you and why. Joe and the dogs. Love.

Machka Ah, yes, I’d forgotten OZ was closed to visitors.
    Thanks for the cauliflower cake link, Heather. Wow that’s a lot of eggs! Think I'll stick with roasting with EVO, garlic, lemon juice and tons of grated parmesan. How much Nellie has grown? Look at how much Max has grown!
    Kim politics vs public health rant.
    All we can really do is model safe behavior. Not to ill-wish anyone, issue will shift from politics to public health only when their loved ones are infected. :sad: .
    Tracey Your RN coworker’s feelings are the true bottom line. Feel so bad people make such snarky comments. Whatever happened to tolerance?
    Katla great news about the grandchildren coming to visit! Like you and your DH, I mask when walking outdoors if others are near. Dog group we all mask. If its just me and T or D hiking in the woods or along the beach, we keep distance but don’t mask.
    Allie, what Okie, Katla, Michele and Machka said. I think it is a bad idea to change the alimony agreement decided by the court in your divorce decree. BUT if you feel you must meet with him to hash things out, please be sure your attorney is present, especially since he has already lawyered up. Otherwise you could lose all to Tom and his lawyer. He can wait for your attorney. She is your protection, not a liability. Prayers continue for her daughter.
    Betsy prayers continue for your sister too.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: leaner/stronger/kinder than March.
    daily: sit with Joe:1 , weigh/wii: 1/0/0; steps>6362=7116! vits=1, log=1, CI<CO=1, CI<250<CO=1, Tumble=1, Shadow=1, mfp=1, outside=1, up hill=1, clean 10=.5.
    wkly: BB&B,T’ai Chi or SWSY x3= rX x4=1 dance=, packwalk x2=1,
    wt=1/31:141.3 2/28:142.4 3/31:145.3 4/30: 141.5 5/2:, 5/9:, 5/16:, 5/23:, 5/30:.
    mnthly: board mtg=, grant=, 21 plan=, waist=42.5
    bonus: AF=1 play= sew=
    2021: choose to be leaner/stronger/kinder NOW