Stupid foods we bought to lose weight; I'll start

In the last year I've bought some products because I was told by friends or pintrest that it would help me lose weight, I cleaned out my kitchen today and threw away a lot of useless health food.

My worst two purchases:

1: Roseroot powder. Was supposed to give me more energy. After a week my poop came out as green slime, and that was the only change I noticed.

2. Pinterest told me that smoothies are amazing. So I bought a bunch of seeds and frozen fruit and berries. Then I didn't make a single smoothie for over a year. I didn't buy a small pack of seeds to try out, no I bought in bulk "to save money". Today I threw almost all of it out because it had gone bad in the cute jars I bought to store them in.

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    A LOT of protein bars, cookies, powder, etc.
    but I also found some good ones.

Chia seeds. Just yuck!
    But I also found flax seed. Love the convenience of flax seed eggs, like when you cut a recipe in half and that means 1/2 egg.

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    A LOT of protein bars, cookies, powder, etc.
    but I also found some good ones.

Chia seeds. Just yuck!
    But I also found flax seed. Love the convenience of flax seed eggs, like when you cut a recipe in half and that means 1/2 egg.

During my health journey I tried chia seeds for the first time and found that I <3 them! I could sprinkle them literally on everything! :D
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,974 Member
    Not mostly, but I did try some real loser foods while trying to figure out how to hit my desired protein level on reduced calories, as a vegetarian.

Quest protein chips stand out from the crowd, in that way: Salty, flavor-y sawdust, if you ask me. Yuck. Not even a food.

I don't like protein powder or fake meat either, but they're more "meh", kind of a waste of calories I could use more happily to get similar nutrition. The chips were actively awful: Ate one or two, threw the rest of the bag - thankfully small - away.
  • GigiAgape1981
    GigiAgape1981 Posts: 64 Member
    Glucomannan. Not stupid per se but definitely didn't "work" for me for reducing hunger.....the GI distress is still very vivid.
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    I brought HCG before. It's a brown consumable liquid. that's supposed to help me lose weight. it didn't help at all. silly of me, when at the time. I only had 15Lbs to lose :0. I never finished the two HCG bottles.
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    I've done a lot of diets over the years, so there are quite a few: Slim Fast, everything fat free or low fat (although I did like Snackwells), various supplements and diet pills, sugar-free stuff (every once in awhile I may do that, like Diet Soda, only because I prefer the taste), the "Hollywood Diet"--it was like a juice cleanse you did for 2 days while basically eating only protein. Ugh, almost forgot about that one.

• DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 329 Member
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    The list is real long...!!!
    FAT FREE- In the 80s with the ban fat lie about sugar push I got EVERYTHING that said fat free. Snack wells to name a top one.
    Yes! The first thing that came to mind were the Snackwells low fat cookies I bought in the mid-90s during college. The only ones I still see on the shelves of Walmart are the Devil's Food cookies, and I wouldn't take them if they were free nowadays. Also cans of Slim Fast. Drinking all my calories is my least favorite thing, it turns out.
  • Mangoperson88
    Mangoperson88 Posts: 339 Member
    I just purchased a stove gas steamer as the one I have is electric and comes with too many attachments(boring!) And I purchased it coz I got inspired by the volume thread on mfp :D:# so I also bought a bunch of vegetables and I was just gagging while eating all that steamed sh!!t
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,101 Member
    I bought a few boxes of XLS carb blocker a few months before starting my weight loss journey properly. In secret, because I was ashamed and didn't want my BF to know.

When I was in college, I spent a few months working out and when it didn't yield the desired results, I ended up on a weight lifting forum where they brainwashed me with 'clean eating'. Way too being for my liking, but the worst was the cottage cheese, supposedly an 'essential' food. I HATE cottage cheese, yuck. I had to load it with sugar to make it edible, and even then I was forcing it down 😣 Needless to say I soon went back to my old eating habits.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Years and years ago I bought hydroxycut.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    Years and years ago I bought hydroxycut.

ah, reminds me of college
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    OMG! I also don’t know where to start!
    I’ve also spent lots on a weight loss tea
    I brought into meal replacement shakes & bars
    Low fat / diet foods
    I stopped short of diet pills .... but nearly bought those!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,708 Member
    Glucomannan. Not stupid per se but definitely didn't "work" for me for reducing hunger.....the GI distress is still very vivid.

How wierd! I use it at because I have IBS C and it is one of only 2 or 3 fibers my body likes!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    apple cider vinegar. yup... me years ago bought into it. Does make a hell of dressing though.
  • meeppeepneep
    meeppeepneep Posts: 56 Member
    @psychod787 Everyone at work did this, some still do, for either weightloss or to "boost the immune system". Only reason I didn't try it was because I hate the taste of vinegar. Did I mention that I work with nurses? Because I do, and there's so much belief in quackery it's scary.