Garmin steps and calories

I have been getting ridiculous number of calories (2500) for 9000 steps that are getting added to my daily calories allowances. Anyone seen this before? How did you fix it?

Replies

• penguinmama87
    penguinmama87 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Huh, that's strange. I have a Garmin and often get numbers like 2500-3000 reported for my daily total burn, but it only affects my calorie allowance by a couple hundred. My default strategy when stuff gets weird is to disconnect and then resync the tracker. Curious to hear what others have to say!
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    Because I don't trust these devices, I don't eat back my exercise calories. (or at most, eat back half of what they say they are)
  • SuzanneC1l9zz
    SuzanneC1l9zz Posts: 451 Member
    edited May 2021
    I'm using a Garmin and yesterday I got 395 calories for over 11,000 steps, including a hike with quite a few steep sections. OP, something's definitely off with yours! Seconding the advice to disconnect and re-sync it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    If you have your Garmin synched to MFP, the adjustment is supposed to be adjusting between the calories the Garmin estimated you burned, and the number of calories MFP expected you to burn based on your profile data and most importantly the activity level you set in that profile. It's not just that calories from steps, it's that calories from everything you did. It may not fully settle that out until end of day, depending on the timing of your exercise.

You may have a device/synch problem - very possible - but don't expect the adjustment to vary linearly with the number of steps, necessarily.
  • amsuraj
    amsuraj Posts: 43 Member
    in My fitness app, there is “steps” option, under which I selected “don’t track steps”