Random Thought For the Day

Replies

• honey_honey_12
    honey_honey_12 Posts: 13,433 Member
    j4851whai25g.gif
  • mytyglotz
    mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
    Why couldn't we just trade favors instead of implementing a monetary system and placing a price on everything?
  • honey_honey_12
    I don’t understand why people driving care so much if someone wants to drive faster than them.
    They will speed up just to be obstructionists.

• yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member
    edited May 2021
    mytyglotz wrote: »
    Why couldn't we just trade favors instead of implementing a monetary system and placing a price on everything?

A barter system is an old method of exchange. This system has been used for centuries and long before money was invented. People exchanged services and goods for other services and goods in return.
    (these days sometimes called "working under the table")

Governments frown on this since it is does not contribute to the tax base needed to maintain infrastructure and bureaucracy . Hence governments created a standardized monetary system so all transactions must flow through their cash registers at some point.
  • ComicSundae
    ComicSundae Posts: 39 Member
    edited May 2021
    yukfoo wrote: »

A barter system is an old method of exchange. This system has been used for centuries and long before money was invented. People exchanged services and goods for other services and goods in return.

Governments frown on this since it is does not contribute to the tax base needed to maintain infrastructure and bureaucracy . Hence governments created a standardized monetary system so all transactions must flow through their cash registers at some point.

Bartering's taxable because there's monetary value, of an item/service.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

True, but so much goes unreported.
  • yukfoo
    yukfoo Posts: 871 Member

It can be...but only if records are kept and reported. Someone does drywall work in exchange for say...some computer repairs. The parties involved agree the barter is equitable. No records. There is no third party. What the authorities can't prove...they can' t tax.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,006 Member
    Our “mall” is essentially a Planet Fitness with a humongous, well kept, structure attached. That happens to contain a few random stores.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    Our “mall” is essentially a Planet Fitness with a humongous, well kept, structure attached. That happens to contain a few random stores.

I miss full, thriving malls.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Our mall is laughable. :( It has a dollar store, an auto parts store, a gym, and at the end is Job Lots. There have been so many stores in and out of that place....J.C.Penny's is closing this month, we had Sears, Fashion Bug, Hallmark store, Radio Shack, and many more. All history. :( You can't even walk around inside anymore due to Covid. Lots of people walked during inclement weather.
  • MelG7777
    LoveyChar wrote: »

I miss full, thriving malls.
    I kinda do too. Sad to see everything so empty. Some corporation purchased it and made it look REALLY nice. But there’s nothing there hardly. But there are some wonderful photographs on the walls that show our city now and throughout history. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s almost like a museum.
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Our mall is laughable. :( It has a dollar store, an auto parts store, a gym, and at the end is Job Lots. There have been so many stores in and out of that place....J.C.Penny's is closing this month, we had Sears, Fashion Bug, Hallmark store, Radio Shack, and many more. All history. :( You can't even walk around inside anymore due to Covid. Lots of people walked during inclement weather.

When I’m in the mood I watch YouTube channels that go into abandoned or nearly empty malls. Ours would be perfect for that. 🙈
  • honey_honey_12
    No matter who does it,
    no matter who says so,
    I will never agree.
    Ever.
  • hungrycatapillar21
    hungrycatapillar21 Posts: 24 Member
    The kindness of strangers never fail to amaze me
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

The shopping malls of the 80's & 90's are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

The trend now is towards mixed use developments - retail / housing / business

Personally, I prefer a traditional downtown, shopping district.

• MelG7777
    Motorsheen wrote: »

The shopping malls of the 80's & 90's are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

The trend now is towards mixed use developments - retail / housing / business

Personally, I prefer a traditional downtown, shopping district.

Definitely. Or moreover....Amazon. I think it’s more than just a trend though.

They like to say “shop local” but they make our downtown really inconvenient to shop at honestly. And unfortunately. We still try though for some things.
  • honey_honey_12
    xc949hc7bfzw.jpeg
  • honey_honey_12
    p059d5pg1c3d.gif
  • honey_honey_12
    0sa2en4dcfzk.gif